2020/21 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point was that I judge him based on a large number of matches. It is not long since Ancelotti brought in a mediocre Swedish goalkeeper to give him more competition, and it was not because he was happy with Pickford. You do not have to go far back in time to find that quite a few supporters were dissatisfied with him.

If you play a couple of good matches, you are suddenly among the best in the world. If you play a couple of bad matches, then you are suddenly a terrible football player. I take a stand between these two extremes.

I guess you're local, and of course Everton mean more to you than to me. But I have been a supporter of Everton for over 30 years, seen relatively many of the matches, and have been over to watch a couple of matches. But of course, Everton means more to locals, than tourists like me. But that does not mean I am wrong.

The contrast in pickford since seeing the now well documented sports pyschologist is about as clear as glass. His demons were his twitchy temperament. Even in his worst days the comments were always the same. The ability to pull off saves is there but his temperament wasnt.
If he keeps that side in check he's just as good as anything around.

Not a fan of JP ( and I'd still cash in and sell him whilst his stock is high ) but fair play to the lad , his improvement since CA rested him has bee very impressive and for me was England's best player of the tournament.

so it looks like Pickford may have been down to take the 6th pen-if this vid is right

I love how that clip proves nothing and yet there are about 150 comments under it taking it as gospel. Quite easly be southgate went to the first 5 and then just had a word with pickford. Could have said have you got your gloves jordan :)
The power of social media. 1 person claims something and it very quickly becomes factual.

The contrast in pickford since seeing the now well documented sports pyschologist is about as clear as glass. His demons were his twitchy temperament. Even in his worst days the comments were always the same. The ability to pull off saves is there but his temperament wasnt.
If he keeps that side in check he's just as good as anything around.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc (After this, therefore because of this).

1. Pickford talks to Sports Psychologist.
2. Pickford plays better.
3. Therefore, sports psychology helped.

That may be true, but there are also many different explanations. I think it may be coincidental, and it is not uncommon for performance to vary. Both of these factors may have occurred simultaneously. Eventually, Pickford's performance will return to its original level. But if he continues these achievements over time, I must admit that he has gone up a level or two.

so it looks like Pickford may have been down to take the 6th pen-if this vid is right

He should of took the 5th ... hes a strong minded person no doubt he would of hammered it in as well .. wouldn't surprise me if southgate actually flapped it because hes a gk for the final pen and threw a kid under the bus

I hope we don't do something stupid like hand him a new contract based on his euros run. He gets unnecessary flack but he isn't someone I want as GK long term.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc (After this, therefore because of this).

1. Pickford talks to Sports Psychologist.
2. Pickford plays better.
3. Therefore, sports psychology helped.

That may be true, but there are also many different explanations. I think it may be coincidental, and it is not uncommon for performance to vary. Both of these factors may have occurred simultaneously. Eventually, Pickford's performance will return to its original level. But if he continues these achievements over time, I must admit that he has gone up a level or two.

You got there in the end. Didnt kill you do it.

As a long time defender of Pickford and depending on a several factors (a replacement being available & ffp etc) I'd sell him this summer if a really good offer came in.

Not actively look for buyers but if a side came in and were desperate for him then I wouldn't be averse to it

Does anyone else think that Jordan is possibly now our teams MVP? I think his value is going to be more than anyone else potentially.

I think we're dreaming if we think DCL and Richarlison are worth more than £50m. each.

I'd say we could look at valuing Pickford near that now..

Okay, let's wait and see how the season goes. He has obviously had a good European Championship, something Patrik Shick has also had - without him actually being top class, but over time he is simply an average GK. Not terrible, but not top class either.

I mean Pickford has been very good for most of 2021, so it's more than just a good Euro's. His record at the Euro's was outstanding too by the way, like one of the best goalkeeping performances in the history of international competition levels of impressive.

I saw your earlier analysis and I agree with aspects. I think he's actually very good with the ball at his feet. The odd one goes out, but he takes it in tough areas and clears the ball very well.

I also think he has started making difficult saves look easy. His positioning has improved and he stays up for longer now. Now he's doing that, some of the wonder saves he produces are showing too. The save for their 1st goal yesterday onto the post was a wonder save. As was the one off the Jorghino penalty. I am not sure any other goalkeeper would make those saves.

He's been very good of late, but as always needs to keep that performance level going.

I mean Pickford has been very good for most of 2021, so it's more than just a good Euro's. His record at the Euro's was outstanding too by the way, like one of the best goalkeeping performances in the history of international competition levels of impressive.

I saw your earlier analysis and I agree with aspects. I think he's actually very good with the ball at his feet. The odd one goes out, but he takes it in tough areas and clears the ball very well.

I also think he has started making difficult saves look easy. His positioning has improved and he stays up for longer now. Now he's doing that, some of the wonder saves he produces are showing too. The save for their 1st goal yesterday onto the post was a wonder save. As was the one off the Jorghino penalty. I am not sure any other goalkeeper would make those saves.

He's been very good of late, but as always needs to keep that performance level going.
Agree. He has been good in the European Championships, but one of the best of all time is to stretch it a little far?

Agree. He has also played well for Everton the last third of the season.

He has good long kicks, and maybe one of the better ones in the PL at just that. But he has a lot to go on when it comes to being involved when we play out from our own goal. Too often he chooses a long kick, or kicks the ball over the sideline. We have also seen this in the European Championships. Yesterday he stood in the shadows, and incorrectly positioned, when Harry M had to use him as an emergency solution.

Maybe no one else had taken it, but we do not know.

What we can agree on is that we hope Pickford continue with these performances at Everton.

Agree. He has been good in the European Championships, but one of the best of all time is to stretch it a little far?

Agree. He has also played well for Everton the last third of the season.

He has good long kicks, and maybe one of the better ones in the PL at just that. But he has a lot to go on when it comes to being involved when we play out from our own goal. Too often he chooses a long kick, or kicks the ball over the sideline. We have also seen this in the European Championships. Yesterday he stood in the shadows, and incorrectly positioned, when Harry M had to use him as an emergency solution.

Maybe no one else had taken it, but we do not know.

What we can agree on is that we hope Pickford continue with these performances at Everton.

Pickford's positioning was fine, Maguire was at fault for not playing it up the line. He bails the centre backs of England out a lot.

I cast my mind back to around 1981. I seem to recall Southall wasn't highly regarded for a couple of years. The club persevered.

Amateur analysis of his performance is fine; the venomous abuse he got isn't. In my view. Forecasts of his future path are just laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.