2020/21 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that he's matured a lot in the last year and would be ridiculous to sell and replace him now.

He's had a great tournament for England and will bring that form back for the Blues.

However, haters are going to hate.

He was exceptional last night continuing his upturn in form for the last 5 or 6 months , once of the only decent legacies of ancelotti will be the upturn in the lads form .

As a long time defender of Pickford and depending on a several factors (a replacement being available & ffp etc) I'd sell him this summer if a really good offer came in.

Not actively look for buyers but if a side came in and were desperate for him then I wouldn't be averse to it
A team in our position has to have that mindset when it comes to every player. They each have their price. The worry if recent years is anything to go by, is how we reinvest the proceeds. Making a big profit on a player is great but if we buy crap with it, we’re doubly goosed.

Now watch him throw the ball into his own net for Everton.

His form for England has never been in question; his form for Everton will continue to be up and down.
I think you're absolutely spot on davek.
All these adoring fans who only see him play for England just don't realise how he struggles to perform like that week in and week out for us.
I'd sell him I an instant if somebody offers silly money for him and replace him with a mature keeper who really controls his penalty box.
10/10 for England JP but perhaps 8/10 at best during his time with us and some enormous clangers along the way.

I think you're absolutely spot on davek.
All these adoring fans who only see him play for England just don't realise how he struggles to perform like that week in and week out for us.
I'd sell him I an instant if somebody offers silly money for him and replace him with a mature keeper who really controls his penalty box.
10/10 for England JP but perhaps 8/10 at best during his time with us and some enormous clangers along the way.
He concentrates for England. He doesn't with Everton.

It's as simple as that.

He's not a true professional.

If he went and played for a team where every game made a difference to winning major trophies he might fulfill his potential as a GK. With us it's obvious he hasn't got that pressure, so he turns up with his A-game when he wants.

That ^^^ is bang on the money...even if I say so myself.

I think he’s not far off Pickford-lite , he makes the same mistakes Pickford does when he’s out of form and there aren’t as many good saves or ability in the plus column.

because of covid I could and did watch pretty much every game Pope played last season and it changed my opinion , the fella is nowhere near as good as his PR . Definitely some decent saves in there and he’s commanding in the air but he’s definitely not for me .

I think he’s not far off Pickford-lite , he makes the same mistakes Pickford does when he’s out of form and there aren’t as many good saves or ability in the plus column.

because of covid I could and did watch pretty much every game Pope played last season and it changed my opinion , the fella is nowhere near as good as his PR . Definitely some decent saves in there and he’s commanding in the air but he’s definitely not for me .
...and Pickford is that much better at club level?

It's as simple as that.

If he went and played for a team where every game made a difference to winning major trophies he might fulfill his potential as a GK. With us it's obvious he hasn't got that pressure, so he turns up with his A-game when he wants.

That ^^^ is bang on the money...even if I say so myself.
Are you actually commenting that you’ve made a good point as you are making it now ! lol

You certainly don’t lack inner confidence do you dave

It's as simple as that.

Seems harsh. He had a sloppy semifinal under pressure and horked up a bad Jordan rebound in the final, but recovered phenomenally and otherwise was lights-out in the final.

I get the 'sell' thesis since I feel that way on Keane, and the argument in a sense is even stronger for Pickford since goalkeepers are finally establishing market value, but at the same time a comparable replacement would be pricy.

I look at the Rorschach blot and see a player that has eliminated the worst mistakes because he strengthened mentally. You see one that is in form and is a ticking time bomb because he will eventually be out of form.

We are probably both right on that last one, and we won't know whether I am until we see how he responds to being out of form.

Status
Not open for further replies.