2020/21 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
He is the last line of defence though, top teams have a top goalkeeper, i can't think of any top team from any era of the game where they have managed to win stuff with a weak keeper in the nets

I suppose Manchester City when Joe Hart was in nets?

And the RS swept all before them with Grobelaar between the sticks.

Publicly he obviously has to back him, but would love to hear Carlo’s real thoughts. Southgate let slip his own views the other day, he’s playing for England as there is feck all else.

In terms of the weekend’s game, the push from Maguire, what’s being overlooked is the kick he then received from the hyperactive one. If it’s ADHD that he has (which has always been my hunch), that’s a nightmare condition for a gk. An outfield player with hyperactivity can largely get away with it (having said that it cost Gazza in the ‘91 Cup final when he ran into Gary Charles) but a gk has to exude calm.

A lot is spoken about issues with the defence, especially Keane. That’s valid. But the panic the gk causes among them makes them worse.
Indeed. The sticking out the tongue, gurning, talking to himself and general impulsiveness are indicative of an issue. Of course this is cause for sympathy and concern but this is a man in his mid twenties who has had at least a decade and a half to arrest whatever the challenges are. He is also an asset the club have invested 30m in and one which is undermining 150m invested in an array of defenders in front of him. And whatever mix of those defenders we try, the unforced errors, bad positioning and lack of confidence to come for balls continue to rack up. He has had too many chances already.

Time has to be up this season.

No, read what he said, "the worst .... ever to make it .... etc. Gross exaggeration. I do not rate Pickford at all, I just don't like the exaggerated views. Neither clearly does our manager, otherwise he would have binned him long ago.

Worst goalkeeper to ever make it this far in football

Tell me I'm wrong

it's an eerily similar career trajectory to Joe Hart, who was probably better at the fundamentals. I suspect both will end up finishing their careers as second choice at a lower half PL club at best. It is sad in a way.

to try to bucket the two of them, I do wonder are the simply so overhyped in the first place because they are English & frankly the lack of goalkeeping talent post Seaman has been dreadful. Joe Hart always had problems particularly with shots where he had to get down low quickly and likewise, despite JP probably being the worst keeper in the league for two years, has in relative terms managed to avoid the scrutiny that others have faced before now. I think within the fanbase we understand how poor he is, but I am not sure it is in the wider footballing consciousness.

I presume the "wider footballing consciousness" does not include Southgate or Carlo? Big Sams Undies has gone quiet(?) or whatever clouds his judgement is immoveable. To repeat, I do not rate Pickford at all, but he is not "the worst etc ,etc etc"

He needs to be dropped and he needs to make up for his errors.

This season, I think he hasn't been awful but still there are those questions raised on every goal that goes in.

I don't think he deserves to be dropped on current form however he'll be under pressure.

I presume the "wider footballing consciousness" does not include Southgate or Carlo? Big Sams Undies has gone quiet(?) or whatever clouds his judgement is immoveable. To repeat, I do not rate Pickford at all, but he is not "the worst etc ,etc etc"

sorry if I was unclear. I meant we have understood how bad he is for ages, but the penny only dropping outside that now. I think he got away with a lot because of the flash saves, but as many have said, a lot of those ‘flash’ saves are only due to awful positioning & feet etc.

we all don’t rate Pickford, but the arguement that he is ‘not the worst’ is just wrong. He is literally the worst at stopping the ball from going in the net and makes the most errors, not just a blip bit over two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.