2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn't - he conceded 70+ goals, or nearly 2 a game.

I agree, but he was often looked upon fondly for "keeping the score down" when either us or Sunderland lost. That's why he won our 17/18 player of the season, when the reality is that just everyone else was also crap so the keeper had more to do.

But that's what I mean when I say we should be much more critical of goalies for struggling teams, because they just tend to have more shots to save so can look good even if their team ships goals.

I agree, but he was often looked upon fondly for "keeping the score down" when either us or Sunderland lost. That's why he won our 17/18 player of the season, when the reality is that just everyone else was also crap so the keeper had more to do.

But that's what I mean when I say we should be much more critical of goalies for struggling teams, because they just tend to have more shots to save so can look good even if their team ships goals.

This is because Sunderland fans are defeatist wimp lickspittle losers.

I rated him in the first season but I think watching Cuco Martina play regularly distorted my view of every other player in the world. In fact Pickford managing to concede less than 200 goals with Martina playing in front of him for half a season is worthy of the Player of the Year award on its own.

I think he is worth persisting with. We certainly have more pressing issues to address (i.e. midfield). I feel a lot of highly regarded keepers make mistakes.. just when they do, it has more visibility due to the position. De Gea comes to mind for howlers. And Kepa this year was awful for Chelsea. We could do a lot worse.

I think he is worth persisting with. We certainly have more pressing issues to address (i.e. midfield). I feel a lot of highly regarded keepers make mistakes.. just when they do, it has more visibility due to the position. De Gea comes to mind for howlers. And Kepa this year was awful for Chelsea. We could do a lot worse.
Laughable.

Made MORE errors leading to goals than both.

Plenty more errors that didn't lead to goals purely by luck too.

He was 3rd on the errors leading to goals metric last year, 2nd this year.

He's absolute toss and a little weasel to boot.

Kepa might be the only goalkeeper in the whole of the league who was arguably worse than Pickford. So it is actually very hard to do worse.

Romero or Ben Foster to come in, not as second choice, but as genuine competition for the shirt, for the barmy gurning Mackem. I’m pretty sure Carlo ain’t having him, but who’s buying him for decent money at this point? He needs a spell out the side to focus his scrambled head imo. He thinks he’s way better than he actually is. Either of those 2 would keep him right on his toes.

Status
Not open for further replies.