2019/20 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can’t just write off Walcott dealing with the ball so poorly as something that just happens though. I’d say we were playing with 10 men the whole game but it’s untrue because he had an impact in gifting United a goal. Pickford should’ve been smarter and should’ve read the game much better but this wasn’t solely his fault

Of course you can, it happened near the half way line. It was solely Pickford's fault as he let an easily stoppable shot roll under him (he pretty much said so himself). Its a shot he was rightly expected to save. Normally you are happy to force a shot from range when defending.

Said it before and I’ll say it again. Walcott is just as culpable for the Fernandez goal, how a professional player with hundreds of appearances over nearly 2 decades can mess up a simple ball that much is beyond me. Pickford totally didn’t expect it and that’s why his positioning was wrong. From where I was behind the goal Pickford got a bit of stick but nothing like the amount Walcott got.

Pulled off a fantastic double save at the other end too. I don’t like his attitude or his persona (highlighted by his reaction to the double save)but I think he’s getting an unfair amount of stick for this online.
Agree about Walcott. Having been a brilliant keeper in my youth in the bootle JOC league, whenever a player got the ball near the area I expected him to shoot. So no sure what you mean about pickford not expecting it. He does seem to have problem with his positioning for shots. Not just pickford but some of these fantastic saves are sometimes them just spreading themselves. He palmed the first effort back into the danger area ( which he does all the time tbh) then spread himself for the shot and saved with his legs. For me it's him doing his job not being fantastic. Too many commentators say keepers make fantastic saves when they are just doing their job. As you have mentioned he carries on like an idiot when he makes a save

Of course you can, it happened near the half way line. It was solely Pickford's fault as he let an easily stoppable shot roll under him (he pretty much said so himself). Its a shot he was rightly expected to save. Normally you are happy to force a shot from range when defending.
What do you think the answer is with him?

I don't get this too big for his boots stuff, I really don't.

"Hey I think I'm great, lets play crap to prove it!" it doesn't make any sense.

He may just not be that good.
I just think he has this untouchable aura about him. Dunno, might just be because he seems like the kind of guy I'd never want to be seen with personally. And yes, deffo agree with the second point.

What do you think the answer is with him?

Don't know to be honest, its a tough one, he obviously has ability. I think he is worth persevering with assuming that nobody would pay us what he is worth right now and if there are no good replacements for him. You never know where goalies will come from, I mean the best ever goalie was playing for Bury when we signed him so who knows?

The problem with Pickford, is we would be in 5th right now with just an average keeper.

Thats too big of a difference to be unimportant, and that means serious efforts will be underway to either replace him, or improve him drastically. Most likely the former while they are working on the later.

The problem with Pickford, is we would be in 5th right now with just an average keeper.

Thats too big of a difference to be unimportant, and that means serious efforts will be underway to either replace him, or improve him drastically. Most likely the former while they are working on the later.

I'm not 100% against your comment but suggesting and average keeper would get us into 5th place is stretching it - that would mean that Pickford has been below average this season; that's while he's still first choice for England. The British media love a new thing and this season it's Sheff Utd's keeper - let's see how good he is next season. Going out and spending a world record for a keeper (Chelsea) doesn't even mean he'll be first choice so I'd be against replacing Pickford when there are more important areas (RW/RFB/CM) where we need to strengthen.

If we're playing fantasy football then I'd have Alisson and Edison as back up - but in the real world we'd be better of sticking with what we have. FYI Southall established himself as first choice when he was 25 (same age as Pickford is now) and in his first season we finished 7th.

I'm not 100% against your comment but suggesting and average keeper would get us into 5th place is stretching it - that would mean that Pickford has been below average this season; that's while he's still first choice for England. The British media love a new thing and this season it's Sheff Utd's keeper - let's see how good he is next season. Going out and spending a world record for a keeper (Chelsea) doesn't even mean he'll be first choice so I'd be against replacing Pickford when there are more important areas (RW/RFB/CM) where we need to strengthen.

If we're playing fantasy football then I'd have Alisson and Edison as back up - but in the real world we'd be better of sticking with what we have. FYI Southall established himself as first choice when he was 25 (same age as Pickford is now) and in his first season we finished 7th.

Just to pick up on the "that would mean Pickford has been below average this season" % saves in the league - second worst; errors leading to goals - joint 3rd worst in the league. Statistically, he is the 2nd worst keeper in the PL

Stats, whatever. He costs us goals regularly. It’s bizarre people are still debating this. If he was Liverpool’s keeper making all these mistakes everyone would be buzzing! If someone says again that there’s a bigger priority than our GK I’ll go mad. The RB or the RW will never be as Important as a goalkeeper. It starts from the back. Simple as....so everyone is saying that we should spend 350 mill on Messi and then let countless shots in from 25 yards “cos he’s young”

Pickford not a priority apparently.....so every time we concede due to Pickford (every other week), don’t moan, just look on the pitch to the left wing and say, at least we have a decent left winger.....good strategy that

Said it before and I’ll say it again. Walcott is just as culpable for the Fernandez goal, how a professional player with hundreds of appearances over nearly 2 decades can mess up a simple ball that much is beyond me. Pickford totally didn’t expect it and that’s why his positioning was wrong. From where I was behind the goal Pickford got a bit of stick but nothing like the amount Walcott got.

Pulled off a fantastic double save at the other end too. I don’t like his attitude or his persona (highlighted by his reaction to the double save)but I think he’s getting an unfair amount of stick for this online.

His positioning wasn't wrong, the shot literally went through him.

Status
Not open for further replies.