2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's in his body language. How =else would you describe someone trying to do a Schumacher?
Stop talking nonsense Dave. That was nothing like Schumacher's foul on Battiston. I think that's possibly one of the most ridiculous things you've ever said in here.

Pickford had every right to go for that ball, got their first and made full honest contact with it. Ings jumped in, got there clearly second so in theory was a late challenge, and even jumped in with his back to it. What sort if challenge was that.

Mate he is a young keeper who is still learning. His attitude? What are you chatting about! Every player makes mistakes. End of the day he recovered from it yesterday with a fantastic save. Honestly who would you want in net?
I dont want anyone else in there. I said that already.

That said, I wouldn't be concerned if he was let go for a good fee. He's nowhere near irreplaceable.

He’s 24, if he was the finished article in his prime and established then he would not be playing football at a mid table team.

I just don’t understand why people are expecting a young GK to be error free, Hugo Lloris is a similar style of keeper as Pickford and when he first came to this league he made a lot of errors, he still makes some now. Pickford is more than good enough for us and it’s not really a debate.
I'm not expecting "error free". I expect solid professionalism.

Maybe I was spoiled by having watched Southall and Martyn.

Stop talking nonsense Dave. That was nothing like Schumacher's foul on Battiston. I think that's possibly one of the most ridiculous things you've ever said in here.

Pickford had every right to go for that ball, got their first and made full honest contact with it. Ings jumped in, got there clearly second so in theory was a late challenge, and even jumped in with his back to it. What sort if challenge was that.
He got the ball and could easily have avoided making contact with Ings. Easily. We both know it.

Do that against one of the molly-coddled financial elite in this league and he's off the pitch with a straight red and we've got Stekelenburg in goal for three matches.

Solid professionalism, explain to me what that is and why Jordan doesn’t have it.

A steady, sure handed performance from minute 1 to minute 90+. No charging around like Joe Hart. Get your wall and your feet sorted out for free kicks. Dont try and ping balls all over the pitch like you're Glenn Hoiddle with gloves. Keep it simple.

There is nothing wrong with this dave now just you're being picky.

There is if he's finding the opposition rather than blue shirts most of the time.

I actully blame others for that though. He's had his head turned on distribution by people who should know better.

I dont want anyone else in there. I said that already.

That said, I wouldn't be concerned if he was let go for a good fee. He's nowhere near irreplaceable.
Get behind him then instead of moaning. He is going to make mistakes like every other keeper in the world. Accept it.

I'm not expecting "error free". I expect solid professionalism.

Maybe I was spoiled by having watched Southall and Martyn.
A steady, sure handed performance from minute 1 to minute 90+. No charging around like Joe Hart. Get your wall and your feet sorted out for free kicks. Dont try and ping balls all over the pitch like you're Glenn Hoiddle with gloves. Keep it simple.
You make it sound error free. As for him charging round like a loonatic I actually like him doing that, shows he gives a rats arse.

Extremely simple. BTW, who did you play for Dave?

There is if he's finding the opposition rather than blue shirts most of the time.

I actully blame others for that though. He's had his head turned on distribution by people who should know better.
He's been doing that for a while and can be a useful tool if Walcott or Richarlison is on the end of it.

Hard to see any part of the discussion as a wanting to fail or crying for cryings sake. We have seen two not really outstanding performances from Pickford this season. And he's been a subject for debate in both games now,for good reason.If he continues the rate of mistakes he's at now it will cost us lots of points against far better opposition. And what's with his distribution lately. It was spot on a few months ago wasn't it?
His distribution has been poor in these 2 games, but have you noticed all the bad clearances are off his right foot. He's left footed FFS. why do our defenders keep on playing it to his wrong foot?. We did it a lot last year too.

His short passing game has been fine. He hasn't played anybody in to trouble or anything or made any misplaced passes that have put the team in trouble.

As regards his mistakes. How many has he made really. The step he took to steady himself on the Neves free kick last week put him at a disadvantage. If you are being ultra critical you would say he was at fault, and interestingly did you notice that the goal keeping coach appeared to be working in that in the training video released during the week. The other obvious fault was the poor handling of the long range shot that resulted in the Ings chance yesterday. But he also made an absolutely world class save on the follow up, so you have to balance one with the other in my view.

I wouldn't put him at any fault whatsoever over the Ings challenge yesterday. In fact I thought he dealt with it fantastically. He was in exactly the right place to deal with the clearance and then it took an awful bounce. Could have happened to any player, anywhere in the pitch and nothing he could do about it. he then showed great reactions and athleticism to clear it. I thought it was great keeping.

In the ideal world our keeper will go through games without making any mistakes and, in fairness, for a young keeper he doesn't make that many. He's just come back off an almost perfect world cup campaign, so I suppose the law of averages said he was due an average game or two. he has had a very disrupted summer too so maybe his concentration levels aren't where they should be.

Yes, his first 2 games have been below the level we've come to expect from him after last season, but they are hardly mistake riddled as some in here are suggesting. He needs to get his distance distribution sorted though, I agree on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.