Jonjoe Kenny

Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine you've watched him closely this season at Schalke then? I'd like to hear reviews of his first season as a first choice RB rather than people judging him based on performances over 12 months with 4 different clowns in charge of the club.
Yes mate I watch the Bundesliga every weekend. He's a bang average right back for Schalke. They won't be making us a lucrative offer to try and keep him, and I've seen enough of him for us to know he'll never become a top-end right back. Sorry to disappoint you like.

JJK knew at the start of this season he was starting as no. 2 to Seamus and that was no good for his career. At his age he needed to be playing every week and the move to Schalke allowed him to do that as well as cut the apron strings from home.

He, in my opinion, will be content to return to Everton as long he still isn't regarded as back up to Seamus, I believe he has moved on from that and shown that he can play every week in a successful team in a top league.

It depends now on how he is rated at Everton and if he is seen as a first team player or somebody who can be sold to generate funds.
But, even if we do sell him we are still going to have to replace him or sign Sidibe on a permanent deal and I don't think that inspires any of us with confidence.

JJK knew at the start of this season he was starting as no. 2 to Seamus and that was no good for his career. At his age he needed to be playing every week and the move to Schalke allowed him to do that as well as cut the apron strings from home.

He, in my opinion, will be content to return to Everton as long he still isn't regarded as back up to Seamus, I believe he has moved on from that and shown that he can play every week in a successful team in a top league.

It depends now on how he is rated at Everton and if he is seen as a first team player or somebody who can be sold to generate funds.
But, even if we do sell him we are still going to have to replace him or sign Sidibe on a permanent deal and I don't think that inspires any of us with confidence.

I though JJK would go and Sidibe would stay. I imagine they felt the 12 or 13 million pounds they had earmarked to buy Sidibe would come from Kenny and that made sense. However the impending collapse in the market will have meant 2 things. Firstly the fixed option on Sidibe has just got much more expensive (and I would argue tipped him over into the bracket were it doesn't make sense to buy him). With Kenny it has also probably dipped his value as we have no buyer. He's just turned 23. I know Coleman went to Blackpool at 22 and came back and cemented a place at a similar age. So he's probably the right age to be given a chance.

There are clearly a lot of other priority areas for the team and I think Kenny will be fine for a season. He's a solid defender and will be playing in a system where our fullbacks have to be able to defend. It may be that the manager and DOF just feel that we can tick a box off this season and have a look at him. If he's not right we can maybe move him on the summer after having given him a seasons experience. Thats how I see it playing out. There seem to be some mixed reviews out of Germany. Some say he's been fantastic, some say he's been a bit up and down. However Schalke are similar to Everton currently and if he's fgood enogh for them, he might well be ok for us for a season.

I though JJK would go and Sidibe would stay. I imagine they felt the 12 or 13 million pounds they had earmarked to buy Sidibe would come from Kenny and that made sense. However the impending collapse in the market will have meant 2 things. Firstly the fixed option on Sidibe has just got much more expensive (and I would argue tipped him over into the bracket were it doesn't make sense to buy him). With Kenny it has also probably dipped his value as we have no buyer. He's just turned 23. I know Coleman went to Blackpool at 22 and came back and cemented a place at a similar age. So he's probably the right age to be given a chance.

There are clearly a lot of other priority areas for the team and I think Kenny will be fine for a season. He's a solid defender and will be playing in a system where our fullbacks have to be able to defend. It may be that the manager and DOF just feel that we can tick a box off this season and have a look at him. If he's not right we can maybe move him on the summer after having given him a seasons experience. Thats how I see it playing out. There seem to be some mixed reviews out of Germany. Some say he's been fantastic, some say he's been a bit up and down. However Schalke are similar to Everton currently and if he's fgood enogh for them, he might well be ok for us for a season.

Im more concerned about keeping Coleman / Sidibe around than Kenny.

Kenny would be fine for a season but we still need another player at RB as the other 2 arent good enough, that we know...

I think a lot will depend on David Unsworth and Duncan Ferguson. They know JJ Kenny very well and probably CA will rely on their judgement.
Very few of our young players go to such a high standard club when going on loan, generally it is Championship at best.
I would guess that JonJoe was allowed to leave rather than mostly sitting on the bench and his loan spell will have shown that he has the ability for the Premiership or not.

My memory of the reports from Germany is that before Christmas in particular that he was a huge favourite at Schalke but his performances tapered off after Christmas.. which is not that big a surprise for a young player.

He is the kind of player I like. He is committed, tough and always gives 100%. I would much prefer to keep him than buy Sidibe.

It seems that Schalke want Jonjo back next season, think on another loan deal, so he can’t have been all that bad. I think he wants to come back to the club he’s been a part of for the last ten years and prove that he is good enough. I think he will do a good job in a settled team than the one he played in when he first got a chance, I hope he gets that chance, it’s one that he deserves and will cost us nothing to give him that chance, he still has two years on his contract after this season.

I think a lot will depend on David Unsworth and Duncan Ferguson. They know JJ Kenny very well and probably CA will rely on their judgement.
Very few of our young players go to such a high standard club when going on loan, generally it is Championship at best.
I would guess that JonJoe was allowed to leave rather than mostly sitting on the bench and his loan spell will have shown that he has the ability for the Premiership or not.

My memory of the reports from Germany is that before Christmas in particular that he was a huge favourite at Schalke but his performances tapered off after Christmas.. which is not that big a surprise for a young player.

He is the kind of player I like. He is committed, tough and always gives 100%. I would much prefer to keep him than buy Sidibe.
It seems that Schalke want Jonjo back next season, think on another loan deal, so he can’t have been all that bad. I think he wants to come back to the club he’s been a part of for the last ten years and prove that he is good enough. I think he will do a good job in a settled team than the one he played in when he first got a chance, I hope he gets that chance, it’s one that he deserves and will cost us nothing to give him that chance, he still has two years on his contract after this season.

If were serious about top 6 for next season then:

Sidibe should finish his loan.
Coleman should be sold on, hes finished at this level.

Kenny showed enough while he was here to be a decent backup option...if hes better now then thats great.

We should keep Kenny and bring in another right back.

No brainer for me, Let Sidibe go back to his club and have JJK as number 2 to Coleman. If we can get a better RB than Coleman, then he becomes number 2 and we sell JJK.
I just don’t want another farce of a window like last summer and let Sidibe go back and sell Kenny.

He still plays the same game.
Receive the ball form cb, pass back or step aside to the touchline, hit it long to corner flag and hope forwards can get it.
He still has problem against pressing team and then his team loosing possesion. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.