2021/22 Jean-Philippe Gbamin

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's absolutely a big deal and should absolutely be punished

I just can't see Everton having a clause in the contract that is a 'sacked if you drink drive' clause. If it's multiple offences, then yeah, but I'm not sure any player/agent would sign a deal like that?

Generally wouldn't any employer have grounds to sack you if you are charged with a criminal conviction? I don't see why footballers are any different. No excuse for drink driving.

Generally wouldn't any employer have grounds to sack you if you are charged with a criminal conviction? I don't see why footballers are any different. No excuse for drink driving.

Do you think that people who have served a conviction, or at the very least satisfied the courts that they have served their judgement, whatever that may be, should be allowed to work again?

The problem is that Everton don't want to sell him. He's had bad injuries but with the right rehab he could still be an asset worth £10m+. Ok you could sack him and then sue him like Chelsea did with Mutu but it'd be a long court case without even a notion of guaranteed success. Any half decent lawyer would ask why we didn't sack all the other drink drivers we'd employed.

The problem is that Everton don't want to sell him. He's had bad injuries but with the right rehab he could still be an asset worth £10m+. Ok you could sack him and then sue him like Chelsea did with Mutu but it'd be a long court case without even a notion of guaranteed success. Any half decent lawyer would ask why we didn't sack all the other drink drivers we'd employed.

Yeah you're right. The club has to treat every player the same regardless of their contributions on the pitch.

For example, if DCL or Richarlison were charged with drink driving there is no way the club would want to terminate their contracts.

Do you think that people who have served a conviction, or at the very least satisfied the courts that they have served their judgement, whatever that may be, should be allowed to work again?

Yes of course I do. One mistake should not damn you for the rest of your life.

I was more asking in general about terms of employment and whether the same should apply to footballers.

On my first day of employment at my current job it was made clear to us that if we got in trouble with the police we'd likely be dismissed. That's what made me think about it in terms of Gbmin.

I hope he gets 15 minutes at the end of today's match. We already know Gomes and Davies are a big drop off in standard from Allan and Doucoure. Gbamin is an unknown quantity at this point we need to see what we can get out of him minutes wise and how good he actually is. Hopefully we won't need to start him between now and Xmas but afterwards the games build up and we need to be able to rotate Allan and Doucoure so that we don't lose them to injuries. If we are sticking to a 2 man midfield both Gomes and Davies don't meet the required standards.

Hey I'm from Australia. We have pretty heavy fines - I don't know what it is maybe $1000 if you go over .05 blood alcohol limit in Victoria.

But I read on toffeeweb comments Gbamin had one drink and he was fined 25,000 pounds - that sounds insane. I'm ok with a 14 month ban, but 25,000 pounds is a lot of money for the average person?

the laws are very different in Uk .. in oz you have low range , mid range etc when driving and some bans are as short as 3 months. Drink driving is taken very seriously in the Uk and minimum ban is 12 months . I’m also pretty sure his ban would have been relevant to his earnings as a 300 pound fine isn’t really much of a punishment for him

the laws are very different in Uk .. in oz you have low range , mid range etc when driving and some bans are as short as 3 months. Drink driving is taken very seriously in the Uk and minimum ban is 12 months . I’m also pretty sure his ban would have been relevant to his earnings as a 300 pound fine isn’t really much of a punishment for him

ok thats what I was wondering whether the fine was relative to his salary.

Yep I heard drink driving is very serious in the UK, i like that actually - pretty ridiculous we still have cases of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.