2019/20 Jean-Philippe Gbamin

Status
Not open for further replies.

I agree with this but also, he played crap. You’re allowed to say a player played crap if he played crap.

But what's the point if the great big caveat to that is that the lad - to his admission and yours - wasn't ready to play. We all saw it. We can choose to be rational and supportive or we can choose not to be. At this stage, I see no benefit in choosing the latter.

Looked ok to me. Will prove a better passer and link player than gana. Just needs time and patience. Let’s see how him and Davies get on together. We could be surprised.

But what's the point if the great big caveat to that is that the lad - to his admission and yours - wasn't ready to play. We all saw it. We can choose to be rational and supportive or we can choose not to be. At this stage, I see no benefit in choosing the latter.
Yes your right - perhaps 2/3 weeks in full training and getting used to his new environment is a sensible option not to just throw him to the lions.

Poor debut but should never have been playing in those conditions really. A combination of bad luck (injuries and a red card) mixed with a questionable decision from Silva (surely Davies should have been on first, given his comparative experience and match fitness) gave him a premature debut, unfortunately.

For Christ's sake though, anyone writing him off, give your head a wobble. He's 23, not match fit, coming from a completely different league, was thrown in with a makeshift midfield and then had his midfield partner sent off as we went down to 10.

Didn’t watch the game so can’t really comment but I personally think Schneiderlin red might be a blessing in disguise if it means this lad starts vs Watford. Get him in, get the Goodison faithful behind him and watch him turn into prime Yaya Toure

OK fair enough. I’ve not seen stats, I was at the game so maybe I got a slightly false impression. Everyone I spoke to thought he was rubbish, but we all accepted that it was just too soon for him. My point wasn’t to criticise him, just trying to be honest about how he played yesterday.
He definitely made some mistakes holding on to the ball and got bypassed a couple times in midfield. He didn't play well, no question. But his passing wasn't that terrible.

It really looked like he hung on to the ball too long partially because he wanted so badly to make a positive play forward. Its hard to tell on TV how we were set up in front of him. At times our shape is just crap and we have zero passing depth.

But this isn't Mainz. We don't need him to create as much. We have other players. He'll figure it out.

I didn’t see the match, was Gbamin in a more advanced role as he needed to play along side Schneiderlin or other way round? Or alternating I guess
I think Silva wanted him and Morgan to be more similar based on how advanced Schneiderlin was also playing when he came on, but they were really in sync and got out of shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.