2019/20 Jarrad Branthwaite

Status
Not open for further replies.
after being thrown into the deep end at Wolves and the difficult start he had it was one of the few if only positives last night his performance. Early days we don't want to get carried away but seeing how quickly he's gone from L2 to being valued at a 1 mil transfer and then used in our first team it's encouraging. For someone so tall and big frame he seems to be very confident as a ball playing defender and not just a head the ball away merchant type.

It would be very convenient if he turns out to be first team material rather than having to waste another 30 mil on an average defender when you can scout and potentially find another Stones/Holgate. He might be better off going out on loan to a championship club for a full season rather than playing u23's as chances will be very limited next season.

A proper unit isn't he. Wonder how he compares to Distin.
I‘d say he’s about 6foot 4 ins , same height as Distin , based upon seeing him alongside team mates and various versions of his height . He’s likely to fill out a bit too .His speed is deceptive , he covers the ground like the big unit he is with long strides and comparatively slow cadence compared to others , but he gets there .

Harsh on Gibson still only 19, 20 soon , who’s played 8 or 9 decent games for Fleetwood . Jarrad‘s size is a big plus for him , both have good left feet and composure on the ball , Branthwait’s got ahead because of his remarkably assured display for one so young. I’m more confident now that one of them will make it. One leaves the U23s and improves immediately on loan, one steps up from the U23s to the first team and comes on hugely. There’s a pattern there.

Not sure what it is about Gibson just never thought he was anything special.

Seems to have all the attributes, but special dispenation granted for any player, especially a novice, coming into this team. He will have his ups and downs.

He did very well yesterday.

Not sure what it is about Gibson just never thought he was anything special.

Gibson has done very well at Fleetwood and I have to say I was impressed with him last pre-season, however Braithwaite looks bigger and strong to me. Left sided CB are very sought after, so to have 2 like we do if a major plus point.

I said a few weeks ago I sensed Braithwaite had jumped ahead of Gibson, just on little clips in training and how he held himself. Last night he was fantastic and has it all really. What struck me was how positive Carragher was about him in both games.

He's big, strong, decent in the air, and passes the ball well. He got clattered early doors winning a header with Mings and it didn't affect him at all which is about as positive a thing you can say for the lad. Lots of player who've just turned 18 would have let their heads drop.

Its probably a bonus signing that Brands needed as well. He's understandably coming in for some criticism with signings but early indications are that this lad looks a real player, and again bought for peanuts.

The hope I have is we shelve our CB signing ambitions, if an offer comes in for Mina/Keane which is a good offer sell one and bring one in but essentially spend what money we have in midfield.

Looked promising, I was at his debut for the u23's and thought his passing stood out straight away then too. Again though, Villa's strikers are championship level at best so won't get carried away just yet!

Could save us a few quid in the market as think he has everything needed to become an excellent CB. Still like to see a new CB brought in but I would cash in on Mina to allow this to happen as think this lad could be our 4th CB

Thought he did okay but Villa are a very poor team and centre half is the most difficult position to play as a youngster. It took Holgate a long time to get ready for this level. I doubt this young lad will be thrown in too much next season.

Right think we should agree we can refer to him as BW. Like the look of him. No nonsense and doesnt get muscled off the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.