January transfer window 2024

Know what you're saying mate but all that was the amount the selling club would let them go for. Swansea knew selling Sigurdsson meant relegation for them - that was what we was worth to them. They were right. He was their most important player by miles. I often joked if we didn't have Sigurdsson's goals/assists and the impact they had on points we'd be in a relegation scrap. Turns out that was right lol

... Pretty certain we matched their bid, but offered Onana better terms (tad more wage).

We have had 2 of the worst negotiatiors in prem history running our deals for 7 years or whatever it is.

They could have held out and waited for Swansea to crack … just like spurs did with Richy .

We have had 2 of the worst negotiatiors in prem history running our deals for 7 years or whatever it is.

They could have held out and waited for Swansea to crack … just like spurs did with Richy .

Don't disagree but think we couldn't with Swansea.

Sigurdsson went on strike there and they were doing what Leeds did with Gnonto.

He was massive for them - they wouldn't have sold if Sigurdsson didn't refuse to play.

Swansea City have put a £50m price tag on Gylfi Sigurdsson. The move comes as the Icelandic playmaker continues to be heavily linked with Everton and Leicester.

Swansea remain determined to keep hold of Sigurdsson, who was named the club’s player of the year for the second successive campaign last season.

The 27-year-old scored nine league goals and made 13 assists in a team which spent the entire season battling against relegation.

Sigurdsson has three years left on his contract having signed a new deal last August.

He has scored 30 goals in 112 games since Swansea signed him from Tottenham for £6.8m in July 2014.

The Swansea chairman, Huw Jenkins, revealed in February that Sigurdsson was the subject of “substantial offers” during the last transfer window, with interest understood to have come from both home and abroad.

Sigurdsson said at the club’s end-of-season awards in May that he was happy at Swansea and would only leave the Liberty Stadium if the club wanted to sell him.

Everton have spent big in the summer transfer window so far with Jordan Pickford, Davy Klaassen, Michael Keane, Henry Onyekuru, Nathangelo Markelo and Sandro Ramirez joining their former player Wayne Rooney at Goodison Park.

Not sure you can necessarily rate players in that manner. Djimi Traore is a Champions League winner. Still a crap player though.

And yes, I am aware that Cornet is a much better player, but the point stands.

Its a valid point to the often stated assumption that he had just one good season at Burnley as some sort of fluke anomaly, its not the case, he represented France in every age group coming up and made a Champions League semi final with Lyon, if anything his time at Burnley and since is a low light.

Don't disagree but think we couldn't with Swansea.

Sigurdsson went on strike there and they were doing what Leeds did with Gnonto.

He was massive for them - they wouldn't have sold if Sigurdsson didn't refuse to play.
or we could have walked away from the deal. Ok he served us well, but at the time that fee was ridiculous. I know it was hard to attract real top players and still is.
but Swansea pulled our pants down with that fee.

or we could have walked away from the deal. Ok he served us well, but at the time that fee was ridiculous. I know it was hard to attract real top players and still is.
but Swansea pulled our pants down with that fee.

Agree mate. When PSG were taking the piss with Gana I was saying it would be refreshing to see Everton walk away from a transfer.

But the point was made in relation to Onana - despite being atrocious with transfers over the years, we simply matched West Ham's bid.

If Swansea could go back in time, they still want to keep him and I understand why. Imagine now - what do you pay for a player at 27, who was a Prem clubs player of the season 2 seasons on the spin on the back of a season with 9 league goals/13 assists in a team - which spent the entire season battling against relegation. What would that player be worth to us with those numbers!? He kept them in the Prem so we were always going to have to pay an inflated fee. He was on a hiding to nothing here - Fellaini got a kicking, Lukaku did too - and Onana now. Clubs demand more from players with a big fee - especially Evertonians.

Or in summer...they have to sell a top player probably this summer to be able to go on another spending spree
I dont understand what Newcastle are doing, they have unlimited wealth.

Manchester City are the benchmark, why havent they signed a 500m Naming rights on St James Park? Why havent they found somebody to sponsor the bin in Howes Office?

Utter clowns mate.

Manchester City are the benchmark, why havent they signed a 500m Naming rights on St James Park? Why havent they found somebody to sponsor the bin in Howes Office?

Utter clowns mate.
ive said for months that the charges against us and the charges against city are detterents to newcastle.
They've gotten their takeover(which the league was reluctant to) but now they're clamping down on the rules that benefitted city.
Inflating sponsorships and breaking FFP rules.

ive said for months that the charges against us and the charges against city are detterents to newcastle.
They've gotten their takeover(which the league was reluctant to) but now they're clamping down on the rules that benefitted city.
Inflating sponsorships and breaking FFP rules.
Both City and Everton massively inflated sponsorship via their own businesses, neither have ever been told to stop that.

City are being charged with off book payments and Everton are being charged with not being able to count.

Utter clowns mate.
Staveley did say when they came in that they would be building slowly and not spending hundreds of millions but I don't think anyone believed her, I know I didn't.

Staveley did say when they came in that they would be building slowly and not spending hundreds of millions but I don't think anyone believed her, I know I didn't.
Seems like they are trying to fly under the radar, I suppose its all about making them some kind of virtuous club that doesnt flaunt its wealth.

As I said, clowns.

Utter clowns mate.
Whereas we seem to sponsor the bin in the PL office.

1705684983040.png