January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think its poor on Brands behalf - we've also likely payed Baines, anything we will be receiving on this deal on a 1 year contract extension. Swapping a young player with 10 -15 years in front of him who will be togging out for Milan, for a 33/34 year old legend on a one year deal.

Poor squad management in my opinion.

Why? He’s crap?

I think your broad position is absolutely correct. We need to be more ruthless and have not utilised quite a promising group of young players well enough.

The caveat though is that young players need game time to kick on, and I can't imagine Robinson would have got that here.

Baines may well stay another year the club too.

...interesting that we apparently bid for the 17yo Verona LB.

Wel its personal opinion, we did have a number of options, we had a choice whether to give baines a new contract, or go with a player with potential - he defintiely has that if Ac are dropping 6-10 million - we decided to bin - that is poor judegment.

We had many options:

We went with Baines, and Robinson paid for his one year deal. We need to go out now and pay 10-20 mill on a back up left back, or just keep the Cuco Martinas of this world.

We had many options, we could have loaned him to Wigan for 6 months, he would have played and we would be in the same position, but getting millions.

Bad judgement in my opinion. Massive clanger dropped.
But if Robinson was refusing to sign a new contract (as he wanted more games) we’d still be trying to sign a new left back this summer as he’d be gone then, or we’d get nowhere near the 6-7mill he’s going for now as he’d only have a 6 months left on his contract.
As it stands the fee we have received and the 20% were about to probably covered Baines extension this year, so we’ve had a better left back for the same price

We spent £6m on Lewis Gibson who has not had a sniff and I don't know why people are upset about AC Milan signing Robinson for the same price. These Italian clubs seem to be signing more and more young players based in Scotland and England, seems to be a trend but it doesn't mean Robinson is going to be one of the world's best left-backs in two years.

Fair points,

There was a choice to be made though, promote Robinson to back up duty to Digne and continue develop or give Baines a whopper of a one year extension.

If Baines goes in the summer, guess who needs to go sign another left back, its poor on Brands.

Regardless of players, its really bad judgement.
Do we want Robinson, after all we could easily outbid AC Milan and we do have a sell on clause, so we would only be paying 80% of the price ?

We spent £6m on Lewis Gibson who has not had a sniff and I don't know why people are upset about AC Milan signing Robinson for the same price. These Italian clubs seem to be signing more and more young players based in Scotland and England, seems to be a trend but it doesn't mean Robinson is going to be one of the world's best left-backs in two years.

the 6m for Gibson included multiple add ons, we haven't paid anything like that yet.

...interesting that we apparently bid for the 17yo Verona LB.

I like the potential signing as well, and I have to say I am enthused that the club are looking to do that. We haven't done it enough and to me it shows we are at least looking in the right direction.

I believe Robinson was 22 when we let him leave. I mean there is a world of difference between a 22 year old and a 17 year old. We also have to say, if we get £3million pounds for a 22 year old who's never made a start for the club, that is pretty decent money.

I do understand the viewpoint that says maybe he could have been good enough for us. It's hard though, because at 22 I'm sure the lad wanted to be playing regularly and that just wouldn't have been an option here. It's fine saying he could have taken Baines spot, but Baines is probably happy sitting on the bench most weeks, being called upon sporadically and probably providing some leadership on the training pitch. Robinson is a completely different scenario.

The moment to have given Robinson a go would have been the summer before, to have not signed Lucas Digne and to have promoted Robinson to the first team squad as left back. However this to a degree is on this first team coach, who may have wanted a more experienced left back. I also think we have to acknowledge that as a fan base we ar not overwhelmingly keen on promoting from within to resolve problems.

Take this window, there is going to be a lot of frustration that we don't sign anyone. Very few people are going to say "well Antony Gordon may now be able to get game time that would have been lost over signing Everton Soares".

Sure I read somewhere that part of that £6m was based on add ons, appearances for the first team etc, remember thinking that was a lot of money for a lad that young. Pfh, nowadays that's nothing really.

Wel its personal opinion, we did have a number of options, we had a choice whether to give baines a new contract, or go with a player with potential - he defintiely has that if Ac are dropping 6-10 million - we decided to bin - that is poor judegment.

We had many options:

We went with Baines, and Robinson paid for his one year deal. We need to go out now and pay 10-20 mill on a back up left back, or just keep the Cuco Martinas of this world.

We had many options, we could have loaned him to Wigan for 6 months, he would have played and we would be in the same position, but getting millions.

Bad judgement in my opinion. Massive clanger dropped.
That is the Luke Garbutt argument all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.