January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
So are 15 other clubs, only Liverpool (who didn’t need to), Villa, Norwich and Palace have done anything of note
Im not interested in other clubs though, doesnt matter what they are doing. We are desperately light in midfield and cant be pinning our hopes on gomes and gbamin coming back to solve all our problems so some sort of loan needs to be done at the bare minimum

Im not interested in other clubs though, doesnt matter what they are doing. We are desperately light in midfield and cant be pinning our hopes on gomes and gbamin coming back to solve all our problems so some sort of loan needs to be done at the bare minimum
I think it's that sort of short-term fix mentality that has hurt us so much in previous seasons. And then subsequently left us with such a weird squad.

We desperately needed a striker under Sam - bring in Tosun who is now on loan at Palace and we are desperate now to get rid.

Theo Walcott - bought in Jan - look at him now.

Schneiderlin - bought in Jan wasn't he? I may be remembering that wrong. Other than a 6 month spell he's been an unmitigated disaster.

Niasse was a January purchase I think? No further context needed.

I'd be fine with an 8-10th place finish this season, given where we are, if it meant the right people are brought in the summer early for Carlo to work with.

We need to stop thinking we can just fix everything with money. We can't.

I think it's that sort of short-term fix mentality that has hurt us so much in previous seasons. And then subsequently left us with such a weird squad.

We desperately needed a striker under Sam - bring in Tosun who is now on loan at Palace and we are desperate now to get rid.

Schneiderlin - bought in Jan wasn't he? I may be remembering that wrong. Other than a 6 month spell he's been an unmitigated disaster.

I'd be fine with an 8-10th place finish this season, given where we are, if it meant the right people are brought in the summer early for Carlo to work with.

The time of a signing really doesn't mean anything. All those players failed because they were not good enough not because of when they signed.

If the right player is available then we need to go for him. If not a loan or two with the Euros on the horizon would work. There will be some players dying to prove themselves to international managers who are currently not getting the game time they want.

The time of a signing really doesn't mean anything. All those players failed because they were not good enough not because of when they signed.

If the right player is available then we need to go for him. If not a loan or two with the Euros on the horizon would work. There will be some players dying to prove themselves to international managers who are currently not getting the game time they want.
The point is more than the timing of January often co-incides with the right player not being available. And purchasing anyway has led us down this garden path.

The players we should be after won't be available in January 9/10 because they should be the best players in their respective sides, who won't want said player leaving mid-term.

I agree on the point regarding the euros but do we want to be spending big money on players motivated purely by a tournament in a summer?

We aren't going down and so in my mind we now have to take stock and spend very carefully.

Thats why I said we need a loan......

The point is more than the timing of January often co-incides with the right player not being available. And purchasing anyway has led us down this garden path.

The players we should be after won't be available in January 9/10 because they should be the best players in their respective sides, who won't want said player leaving mid-term.

I agree on the point regarding the euros but do we want to be spending big money on players motivated purely by a tournament in a summer?

We aren't going down and so in my mind we now have to take stock and spend very carefully.

Would agree with that. In my eyes, I would have said that I wanted a defender, an extra option in midfield and a right winger before the window opens. Up front we're going ok now.

If we can attract a quality centre half who is ready to slot in immediately, I would welcome that. I think the need for midfield reinforcements has lessened. I'm not wild about the options we have at the moment, but Gbamin is back in full training and Gomes is on the mend too. I think we can see out the season with what we have if there isn't anybody we want long term available. On the wing I don't see anybody who I would want long term available right now. As depressing as Theo Walcott is there, he'll do until the end of the season.

I still think they will both get little injuries when they come back, due to match fitness. We won’t see massive amount from gbamin and Gomes this season. A CM in imo is a must, or we will have to put up with snides, Snides (are you interested Moyes?)

My only reason for wanting a body in midfield was that we were short staffed over Christmas and I never want to see Morgan Schneiderlin again. That leaves us with Davies, Delph and Sigurdsson. We have 16 games left this season, if a combination of Gomes and Gbamin can play in 50% of those, I think we'll get by.

My only reason for wanting a body in midfield was that we were short staffed over Christmas and I never want to see Morgan Schneiderlin again. That leaves us with Davies, Delph and Sigurdsson. We have 16 games left this season, if a combination of Gomes and Gbamin can play in 50% of those, I think we'll get by.
Snides is bad bit Sigs isn’t to far behind, If I never see them in an Everton shirt again, I’ll be overjoyed.

Snides is bad bit Sigs isn’t to far behind, If I never see them in an Everton shirt again, I’ll be overjoyed.

Please do not take my willingness to see him in front of Schneiderlin as an endorsement of Gylfi Sigurdsson. Let's say I am resigned to Sigurdsson. He's going to feature for at least the rest of this season. I just have to accept it.

Status
Not open for further replies.