January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
DCL cost £2m and his wages won’t be massive. Why the rush to sell? He’s hardly bankrupting us keeping him around.

He’s also scored a lot more goals than Kean this season.
There’s no rush to sell. I said if someone offered 20mil I would. I also said it would be good to then invest the money in getting someone who is currently a better striker and then develop Kean who I think has a much higher ceiling than Dom. That to me would represent good business. I know you like the guy but this seems a tad defensive.

There’s no rush to sell. I said if someone offered 20mil I would. I also said it would be good to then invest the money in getting someone who is currently a better striker and then develop Kean who I think has a much higher ceiling than Dom. That to me would represent good business. I know you like the guy but this seems a tad defensive.

It’s not really defensive to suggest we can keep 3 strikers in the squad of different profiles, is it? Who do you bring on to hold up the ball if we need to release pressure for example?

It’s not really defensive to suggest we can keep 3 strikers in the squad of different profiles, is it? Who do you bring on to hold up the ball if we need to release pressure for example?
Theoretically the more experienced striker we would bring in to replace him. If you wouldn’t sell Dom for 20mil, that’s fine. I would.

No point doing any business in January to be honest. The season is a write off yet we should be enough about ourselves to finish mid-table. No point paying over-inflated fees for any players. Concentrate on getting the right manager in and planning for his longer-term goals. We could try and get rid of Niasse, Tosun, Stekelenberg, et al, but that's already been proven harder said than done.

20m? That is what Solanke went. And Chris Wood also. Heck Tosun cost 27m.

Worth at least 35m in today's market.
So because Bournemouth were idiots, that sets the market? Because we got mugged for Tosun, that means other clubs must do the same? If someone paid $200 for a share of Nike (currently valued around $90), everyone else follows suit?

Of course if someone offers more, get it, but I think based on performance and potential, 20mil is a fair price for DCL. The prem is the richest league in the world, and when you look at record transfers for most of the smaller clubs, 20mil is a big number. Given none of the big clubs would want him, where do you think the 35mil offer would come from?

So because Bournemouth were idiots, that sets the market? Because we got mugged for Tosun, that means other clubs must do the same? If someone paid $200 for a share of Nike (currently valued around $90), everyone else follows suit?

Of course if someone offers more, get it, but I think based on performance and potential, 20mil is a fair price for DCL. The prem is the richest league in the world, and when you look at record transfers for most of the smaller clubs, 20mil is a big number. Given none of the big clubs would want him, where do you think the 35mil offer would come from?

20mil is a horrendous price, when you can get 30m+

For every inch of stupid, there is someone who will meet it. You don't like him, you don't rate him - but the market rate would suggest 20m is unders.

20mil is a horrendous price, when you can get 30m+

For every inch of stupid, there is someone who will meet it. You don't like him, you don't rate him - but the market rate would suggest 20m is unders.
I’ll ask again, who realistically could and would offer that 35m price? And if they’re out there, why haven’t they?

Muriel to Atalanta for near 20m
I’ll ask again, who realistically could and would offer that 35m price? And if they’re out there, why haven’t they?
Well, I'll say it again

Everton - Tosun 27m
Bournemouth - Solanke 20m
Aston Villa - Wesley 25m
Brighton - Maupay 23m
Newcastle - Joelinton 40m

Several transfers in Italian/German leagues with random strikers going for 20-30m

So based off that, and given Calvert Lewin's record is every bit as good as the list above in the premiership (actually better than those above) and rated by many pundits AND he is English. I would say in the premiership alone: Watford, Norwich, Villa, Bournemouth, Burnley, Brighton, Newcastle, Crystal Palace and Sheffield. 20m isn’t reflective of the market, at all. Selling a 22 y/o English striker who is your equal leading goal scorer in all comps isn't good business - its irrational thinking. Which is why - no matter how patheticly this club is currently being run; it just won't happen.

As to why - I think that answer is self-explanatory. Each manager inclusive of the caretaker has rated the DCL. The club has no interest in selling him and the player has no interest in leaving – so what makes you think clubs would be lining up for him.

If he was actually available, then sure the listed clubs would be lining up, perhaps even clubs in Germany.

No point doing any business in January to be honest. The season is a write off yet we should be enough about ourselves to finish mid-table. No point paying over-inflated fees for any players. Concentrate on getting the right manager in and planning for his longer-term goals. We could try and get rid of Niasse, Tosun, Stekelenberg, et al, but that's already been proven harder said than done.

Wouldn't quite say its a wright off. 5th place is only 7 points in front.

Muriel to Atalanta for near 20m

Well, I'll say it again

Everton - Tosun 27m
Bournemouth - Solanke 20m
Aston Villa - Wesley 25m
Brighton - Maupay 23m
Newcastle - Joelinton 40m

Several transfers in Italian/German leagues with random strikers going for 20-30m

So based off that, and given Calvert Lewin's record is every bit as good as the list above in the premiership (actually better than those above) and rated by many pundits AND he is English. I would say in the premiership alone: Watford, Norwich, Villa, Bournemouth, Burnley, Brighton, Newcastle, Crystal Palace and Sheffield. 20m isn’t reflective of the market, at all. Selling a 22 y/o English striker who is your equal leading goal scorer in all comps isn't good business - its irrational thinking. Which is why - no matter how patheticly this club is currently being run; it just won't happen.

As to why - I think that answer is self-explanatory. Each manager inclusive of the caretaker has rated the DCL. The club has no interest in selling him and the player has no interest in leaving – so what makes you think clubs would be lining up for him.

If he was actually available, then sure the listed clubs would be lining up, perhaps even clubs in Germany.
Literally one of your examples which is Newcastle’s record transfer ever is above the 35mil you stated. The others aren’t really close. Maybe I’m understating his market value at 20m but you’re equally inflating it.

Literally one of your examples which is Newcastle’s record transfer ever is above the 35mil you stated. The others aren’t really close. Maybe I’m understating his market value at 20m but you’re equally inflating it.

Dominic Calvert Lewin is a better player than each of those players on the list and if the average is somewhere in the mid 20's, and he has an English premium - then 35m is about his value. Perhaps even more, given his age.

Utter rubbish, if the right player is available you get him in

Dominic Calvert Lewin is a better player than each of those players on the list and if the average is somewhere in the mid 20's, and he has an English premium - then 35m is about his value. Perhaps even more, given his age.
He's one of those players who would have a completely different value to the buying and selling teams. I agree that it would be ridiculous for us to sell him for £20m, but I also agree that nobody would pay £35m for him. It's quite common, and is a reason why some very average players (i'm looking at you Tony Hibbert) stay at the same club for a long time. The club won't get what they see as a reasonable price for the player, so they won't sell them.

Status
Not open for further replies.