January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies if it's already been discussed but for those that don't want Bats' (I'm not buying into the Batman stuff, I just can't spell his name), would you not agree he's better than DCL and Tosun?

So by buying better than what we have, we'd improve? Isn't that how all teams improve?

He fits the profile for me if the price is right. He’s clearly a goal scorer but perhaps needs to sharpen up good technique. Finding a goal scorer with pace power technique and good finishing is difficult even for the top clubs though so discounting a player for not having one of these attributes is silly. I think we need more pace in the team and he would give us that presence upfront we lack currently. 40 mill seems steep but if we can haggle them down, get him on sensible wages and clear a few out then we’d be stronger than we are now and have a hungry young international player on our books.

1547722170720.png

(n)

Batshuayi doesn’t want to play for us. He wants to take the easy route and move to France. We shouldn’t waste our time with any player not up for the fight

Save from the time your 20s
Don’t spend money on tattoos , piercings , holidays , festival , social drug taking at the weekends , clothes and man bags , don’t tap your card for skinny white lattes and cream cheese and salmon bagel for lunch ( bring your own )
Work every hour you can for 2 years and save every week like clockwork
That’s what we did and got a mortgage with a 15% interest rate
It ain’t easy and nothing was handed to us on a plate and we didn’t make excuses

Is this the quote from the start of trainspotting?

Why should we do something that
A )Is totally against what Moshiri has said we will do
B) is totally at odds with the way Brands has operated on the past
C)and most importantly
Has us in the shitstorm we are in now

Just that one position. Hopefully we'll find either someone cheap if they are older or by fluke under 25. I just think great strikers are like gold dust and at the minute I believe bring him in and you improve 3 depts ST, AMC and LW. I think sometimes you have to evolve the plan slightly. I would love us to find a 23yo top slotter but the competition would be massive maybe someone that little older may be the man. In every other position I would stick to the rules.

Why should we do something that
A )Is totally against what Moshiri has said we will do
B) is totally at odds with the way Brands has operated on the past
C)and most importantly
Has us in the shitstorm we are in now
I'm not sure any of those are true though.

Moshiri's comments have been taken a little out of context on here I think. He didn't say anywhere that we wouldn't be buying players over a certain age or anything even resembling that, he simply said that we had a problem trying to replace the quality of player we sold because buying proven quality is more expensive than buying players who can develop. He was saying that replacing Lukaku/Stones like for like wasn't possible because somebody of that level would be looking for a lot more money than we could pay them, but we can look to buy players in the same way as we bought those 2, hoping that they turn into the same sort of quality.

I'm not sure where this idea that Brands has never signed a player over 22 has come from. In his last 3 seasons at PSV they signed 5 permanent players who were 27 or over (the bracket the poster was talking about). I don't see any reason why he wouldn't continue to do that here if the right players are available.

The issues we have now aren't really related to the age of the players we've signed, they're related to the quality of them. The unwanted players we're still lumbered with include the likes of Sandro, Besic, Niasse and Tosun who weren't old when we brought them in, we had to take a massive hit on Klaassen and Keane has been one of the biggest disappointments; again, nothing to do with their age.

If there's a 27/28 year old striker out there at the right price who could improve us then I have no doubt we'd be interested, and so we should be.

He actually switched them once or twice in the last game and it seemed obvious enough to me that Lookman is more comfortable and effective on the left.
They did this against Lincoln too, it's clearly a part of Silva's tactics to switch the pair from time to time mid match. It's a nice option to have and for me, they both looked comfortable enough doing it. I'd be surprised if we went in for another winger until other positions are sorted and Lookman's been looked at properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.