January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you don’t believe we received an offer for Niasse? You don’t believe there’s interest in Schneiderlin from France?

McCarthy has fitness issues and no one is going to buy him in January unless he proves that he’s ready to play.

If only, what else can one hope for.

I’d honestly take just cutting the dross even more from the squad and focusing on long term targets for the summer. Bringing in a stocking plaster like Tosun on high wages is stupid.

It’s really down to Silva to coach some better performances from the players we do have. I don’t know how a defence of Digne Mina Zouma and Coleman has not made us look any more solid in games than Martina Williams Jagielka Kenny.

Well, Mina and Zouma have played together twice and imo have been by far our worst CB pairing. They're both too similar and, in a two, that doesn't work. I agree with your sentiment though.

In Silva's defence, the defence looked a lot more solid until the last seconds of the derby. Since then it's like one little thing goes against us and the entire team caves - it's a worry and the issue is we've seen it before with different players and managers now over the course of five years. It's a huge concern and such a weird thing.

I'd get back to our best team now, and I don't see how the arguments for that not being the same set-up of the side that won five out of seven are based on.

I get Walcott dropping out, but what he does add is movement in behind which Lookman unfortunately doesn't bring. He does bring strengths in other areas though and I'd like to see him get a run now.

Pickford

Coleman (Kenny is playing well though so wouldn't be adverse to him staying in) - Keane - Mina - Digne

Lookman - Gana - Gomes - Bernard

Gylfi

Richarlison

That has to be the basis. Whether it's like that shape, or a 4-3-3 (which I'd actually be open to seeing, and is definitely the formation that would get the best out of Davies if he's needed at all, but also I think would help Gylfi 'be more involved'), we have to get back to that.

I like Dom and Tosun. But neither are consistent enough. Richarlison, for me, is wasted out left with how we currently play. He gets isolated and frustrated. Get him closer to goal and get him working in tandem with Gylfi again. Or play a proper fluid front three of him, Lookman/Walcott and Bernard.

I’d honestly take just cutting the dross even more from the squad and focusing on long term targets for the summer. Bringing in a stocking plaster like Tosun on high wages is stupid.

It’s really down to Silva to coach some better performances from the players we do have. I don’t know how a defence of Digne Mina Zouma and Coleman has not made us look any more solid in games than Martina Williams Jagielka Kenny.

Thats it mate - clearing out the dross has to be the primary objective.

It'll set us up nicely to what i expect to be a big summer & gives us room with regards to wages etc.

Well, Mina and Zouma have played together twice and imo have been by far our worst CB pairing. They're both too similar and, in a two, that doesn't work. I agree with your sentiment though.

In Silva's defence, the defence looked a lot more solid until the last seconds of the derby. Since then it's like one little thing goes against us and the entire team caves - it's a worry and the issue is we've seen it before with different players and managers now over the course of five years. It's a huge concern and such a weird thing.

I'd get back to our best team now, and I don't see how the arguments for that not being the same set-up of the side that won five out of seven are based on.

I get Walcott dropping out, but what he does add is movement in behind which Lookman unfortunately doesn't bring. He does bring strengths in other areas though and I'd like to see him get a run now.

Pickford

Coleman (Kenny is playing well though so wouldn't be adverse to him staying in) - Keane - Mina - Digne

Gylfi

Richarlison

That has to be the basis. Whether it's like that shape, or a 4-3-3 (which I'd actually be open to seeing, and is definitely the formation that would get the best out of Davies if he's needed at all, but also I think would help Gylfi 'be more involved'), we have to get back to that.

I like Dom and Tosun. But neither are consistent enough. Richarlison, for me, is wasted out left with how we currently play. He gets isolated and frustrated. Get him closer to goal and get him working in tandem with Gylfi again. Or play a proper fluid front three of him, Lookman/Walcott and Bernard.
I think that is the team that will start the next game and looks reasonably well balanced.

We must remember as well that team contains a lot of players in their first season at the club or just making the breakthrough into the team. It will take time and an addition or two before we can fully see what the team may become.

So you don’t believe we received an offer for Niasse? You don’t believe there’s interest in Schneiderlin from France?

McCarthy has fitness issues and no one is going to buy him in January unless he proves that he’s ready to play.
I don't believe it no.

Pickford

Gylfi

Richarlison

Makes a lot of sense but I think it's a bit harsh to say Mina and Zouma is the worst pairing because the sample size is so small. By far our worst defensive performance was with Zouma and Keane as a pairing, but because they've had more games together it's cancelled out in the mind by better games, Zouma and Mina don't have that luxury.

Makes a lot of sense but I think it's a bit harsh to say Mina and Zouma is the worst pairing because the sample size is so small. By far our worst defensive performance was with Zouma and Keane as a pairing, but because they've had more games together it's cancelled out in the mind by better games, Zouma and Mina don't have that luxury.

Fair enough, I see your point.

I just think Silva messed with the defence for the first time (that wasn't enforced) when he rested Keane after the derby. Mina and Zouma never looked comfortable in that game and again against Lincoln were, at times, all over the shop.

I agree on Spurs, but then again we didn't have Gana - who was a huge miss in that game - and there's a difference in the quality of Spurs attack v the quality of Lincoln and Newcastle's.

That being said, I'm happy now if he just sticks with a pairing, whoever that is of the three of them. Personally, I think it has to be Keane and one other. I think Keane brings a bit of discipline, despite his mistake v Leicester, whereas Mina and Zouma too often dive in. It's not a slate against either of them - they're aggressive players who like to get on the front foot - but think at times we need a slightly more composed head and, at the moment, Keane's the best we've got with that (not saying he's brilliant).

Makes you wonder doesn't it? The only thing I can think of that's been constant during these changes of players and managers is how the crowd react, and how quickly they become defeated and silent at best, or toxic at worst.

Perhaps we need to remember to 'support'. Encouragement and confidence are the 12th man.

I think my main 'transfer' worry at the minute is the charlatans we have who will be coming back from their loan spells in the summer.

Bolasie, Sandro, Martina, Besic, Vlasic, Pennington, Mirallas...and probably loads i've missed.

These are still technically our players and I hate that.

Think Besic might get a move, tbh.

Kev's out of contract in 2020 so aye, he'll be a struggle to move on. See if we can get £3m for him or something.

Bolasie is gonna be an issue. I really did like him when we signed him, and was hoping that injury didn't ruin him. It has, unfortunately.

Martina also has another year so we're best just doing what we can with him n'all. Sure there'll be another loan if nothing else. Not sure on Pennington, seems to be a poor Champ level player tbh. Williams is thankfully going to be out of contract I believe.

Sandro - the weird thing is Silva likes him. Wanted to keep him even at the end of the summer. He let him go because he knew he needed games though and at that point Tosun hadn't forgotten how to play. I'm sure we'll have to try ship him off, but his wages are massive.

Vlasic - I hope there's a place for him, honestly. I think he can give us that ball carrying option that our attacking midfield lacks. Whether we sign Gomes or not, I do think there's a future here for him. I've been impressed when I've watched him in the CL this season (think I've done three CSKA games). Same for Onyekuru, I think his pace would be a real benefit to us, especially if we're looking to move two or three of Walcott, Niasse and Tosun on (not convinced we will look to sell Walcott).

Makes you wonder doesn't it? The only thing I can think of that's been constant during these changes of players and managers is how the crowd react, and how quickly they become defeated and silent at best, or toxic at worst.

Perhaps we need to remember to 'support'. Encouragement and confidence are the 12th man.

I don't like blaming the crowd, but have said for ages it's an issue.

It's not the crowd's fault, but it all plays a part. It's a vicious cycle tbh.

I don't like blaming the crowd, but have said for ages it's an issue.

It's not the crowd's fault, but it all plays a part. It's a vicious cycle tbh.
It's not personal or deliberate I'm sure. I think it's just a reflection of the public's growing sense of entitlement and shrinking tolerance at mega-stars clawing such a horrendous wealth for their 'efforts'.

the close confjnes of the stadium, that otherwise can be a force for good, probably equally works against us.

just a bit of self restraint required by the 'supporters' I suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.