January 2015 transfer window ( No GIFs allowed )(Nor fish puns ffs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of the match last night

man%20atsu.jpg
Which ones Atsu?

Carles Gil, 3.2m.

It's actually not a bad time to sign younger players from big teams. By January they realize those promises to give them a chance are rubbish and are wanting to leave plus the teams themselves more than likely need to fund their transfers due to FFP.

If we spent £3.2M on a 22 year old attacking midfielder who has spent pretty much all of his career on loan in the Spanish lower leagues scoring a goal every 11 games whilst down there there would be more fumes than an MOT Testing centre.
Not good enough for the Spanish U21's (one appearance I know) or Valencias squad (squad, not even first team), yet good enough to improve our first team??
McGeady is a safer bet.

If we spent £3.2M on a 22 year old attacking midfielder who has spent pretty much all of his career on loan in the Spanish lower leagues scoring a goal every 11 games whilst down there there would be more fumes than an MOT Testing centre.
Not good enough for the Spanish U21's (one appearance I know) or Valencias squad (squad, not even first team), yet good enough to improve our first team??
McGeady is a safer bet.

But one of them is a cool sounding ‘Carlos Kickaballio’ type….

McGeady is a safer bet.
Actually all that shows is you know nothing about the player. Plenty of really good players never played for their country at youth level. It's really not an indication of anything.

As for the actual player. He was wanted at Valencia, Valencia are however a much bigger club than us so his opportunities would be limited. They're the equivalent of Arsenal in Spain and have just recently been bought by a billionaire.

The decision to turn down Gil is like turning down Oxlaide-Chamberlain or Townsend for that money except personally I think Gil would have suited our style more.

As for the actual player. He was wanted at Valencia, Valencia are however a much bigger club than us so his opportunities would be limited. They're the equivalent of Arsenal in Spain and have just recently been bought by a billionaire.

By what criteria???

By what criteria???

All of them.

Valencia is the 3rd most supported team in Spain, with more than 50,000 season ticket holders and another 20,000+ season ticket holders on the waiting list, who can be accommodated in the new 75,000-seater stadium.

They also play regularly in the Champions League.

I think you see our position in world football through rose tinted glasses. 25 years of decline have taken a toll.

Actually all that shows is you know nothing about the player. Plenty of really good players never played for their country at youth level. It's really not an indication of anything.

The decision to turn down Gil is like turning down Oxlaide-Chamberlain or Townsend for that money except personally I think Gil would have suited our style more.

point taken on the International youth teams.

But if Arsenal had sent a player to a Burnley/Leicester type club for two years (one year in Division one, one year Championship) then released him because he was too old for their U21s and not good enough for their first team squad. Would you be happy spending £3.2M on him to go into our first team?

People are going mental over Wigan players not being nowhere near good enough and most of the ones talked about have Premiership experience if not an FA Cup medal.

If he was anywhere near good enough Valencia would at least given him a shot at the first team, he's a Championship/lower Prem player at best. Yes he's the only option on the table (because people haven't decided they hated him yet) but we don't have to take it just for the sake of it.

So according to French media the Ukranian lid wants to sign for us. If true and at the reported £2m mark we'd be mental not to do so. Not seen much of him but enough to suggest he's better than every other 'winger' we have bar Mirallas.

I think the problem people have with whinging over missed transfers like this is that there is a huge history of players we were "linked" with but didn´t buy that people freak out over. They then go on to have middling to average to crap to atrocious careers, or just do nothin in the premiership.

This freak out continues when said player does well for a bit, as in Gil scoring a cracker.

If he turns out really good and we had a chance to sign him, then fair enough, a bad call. And I do like what I´ve seen of the player, and also thought he would fit us well. Saw him over here end of last season for Elche against Barça and looked tidy enough., quite classy.

However lets see how little Carles Gil is getting on a couple of seasons down the line. Could just be our scouts decided he is lacking something, that Villas scouts didn´t have a problem with.

However, can we please buy a playmaker now. I want to see shimmys and dummies and through balls and play being made. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.