2022/23 James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well no mate.

Cos almost everybody thinks they are a good partnership, its only you picking holes in Tarks cos you lack the MINERALS to admit you made a mistake.

Ive been trying to teach you football for years now, but it just doesnt stick.
I don't actually believe that, but it is why stats don't work for defenders.

I know this gets everyone riled up but an attacker who scores and creates more is better than one who doesn't, a midfielder who wins the ball back more or gets it up field more is better than one who does it less and a defender who puts in a lot of tackles or blocks a ton of shots isn't necessarily any good because they play a position where a lot of the art is what you do without the ball.

So yeah I don't care about the stats on this one. What I see is a guy who allows a lot to happen in areas you'd probably rather it didn't. He's the high end version of Godfrey. And maybe he's good enough to get away with it for as long as he is here. I'm dubious it is going to last forever.

I know this gets everyone riled up but an attacker who scores and creates more is better than one who doesn't, a midfielder who wins the ball back more or gets it up field more is better than one who does it less and a defender who puts in a lot of tackles or blocks a ton of shots isn't necessarily any good because they play a position where a lot of the art is what you do without the ball.

So yeah I don't care about the stats on this one. What I see is a guy who allows a lot to happen in areas you'd probably rather it didn't. He's the high end version of Godfrey. And maybe he's good enough to get away with it for as long as he is here. I'm dubious it is going to last forever.
Give me a real life physical example of what a defender should be, in your magical scenario then?

Then include the team in front of him.

Hes made loads of mistakes.

Which would only be a factor if people were saying he was flawless, I can assure you, hes not flawless.

Its a forum, it would be very boring if I said, Tarks is boss, end of, so I try and "bolster" my view with stats.

I could even point out the MOTD and Sky Pundits bigging them up during games, most media sources have said as a pairing they are playing well.

So, IMO, both Coady and Tarks are playing very well, not flawlessly well, just very well, Alex Iwobi is also playing very well, if you want I could rewatch a few games and highlight the mistakes hes made? I mean no, I wont.

So when people say "Tarks is doing well", they dont mean hes a robot, they accept hes human and mistakes will be made, if they cost us a goal, we remember, if they dont, well, you will probably remember, but most will forget.

Seeking perfection is a noble cause, but I might suggest a different team, cos Everton has never been perfect, even when we won trophies, it wasnt perfect.

At the moment they are the best partnership at cb we've had for years Plus the leadership they show is there to be seen

Hes made loads of mistakes.

Which would only be a factor if people were saying he was flawless, I can assure you, hes not flawless.

Its a forum, it would be very boring if I said, Tarks is boss, end of, so I try and "bolster" my view with stats.

I could even point out the MOTD and Sky Pundits bigging them up during games, most media sources have said as a pairing they are playing well.

So, IMO, both Coady and Tarks are playing very well, not flawlessly well, just very well, Alex Iwobi is also playing very well, if you want I could rewatch a few games and highlight the mistakes hes made? I mean no, I wont.

So when people say "Tarks is doing well", they dont mean hes a robot, they accept hes human and mistakes will be made, if they cost us a goal, we remember, if they dont, well, you will probably remember, but most will forget.

Seeking perfection is a noble cause, but I might suggest a different team, cos Everton has never been perfect, even when we won trophies, it wasnt perfect.
I think my overarching point is just that he's fine. People are going on and on about it and I get it because what else can you do, be positive about the attack? But we're giving up a lot of little gaps and while that is clearly better than the big gaps the likelihood is at some point this year we're going to not be a top quarter of the league defense anymore. It won't be because Tarkowski or Coady or even Pickford (I'm really hoping) got a lot worse. It'll just be because that is how it goes.

Or maybe we won't and it'll be like that one year Burnley didn't do anything different and allowed 39 goals instead of something closer to the 55 of or so they usually did. Here's hoping!

Give me a real life physical example of what a defender should be, in your magical scenario then?

Then include the team in front of him.
There are plenty of guys who have different styles that are really good. I think my favorite is Rudiger which I'm sure you'll tell me doesn't count.

Status
Not open for further replies.