2022/23 James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.

I don't actually believe that, but it is why stats don't work for defenders.

I know this gets everyone riled up but an attacker who scores and creates more is better than one who doesn't, a midfielder who wins the ball back more or gets it up field more is better than one who does it less and a defender who puts in a lot of tackles or blocks a ton of shots isn't necessarily any good because they play a position where a lot of the art is what you do without the ball.

So yeah I don't care about the stats on this one. What I see is a guy who allows a lot to happen in areas you'd probably rather it didn't. He's the high end version of Godfrey. And maybe he's good enough to get away with it for as long as he is here. I'm dubious it is going to last forever.
You realise defenders don’t operate in isolation?

Our defenders have to make a high number of blocks, tackles, clearances because of where we are as a team. We don’t dominate possession and come under sustained periods of pressure in our own half.

It’s why Lampard had specifically said he wanted to bring in defenders who could dominate the box, we do a lot of defending our own box. That isn’t because our defenders lack the ability to read the game but because it’s where we are as a team.

In any event, Tarkoski is joint second for most interceptions by a defender this season so suggests he does read the game well.

And feel finally, Tarkowski is nothing like Ben Godfrey, even as a “high end” version.

You realise defenders don’t operate in isolation?

Our defenders have to make a high number of blocks, tackles, clearances because of where we are as a team. We don’t dominate possession and come under sustained periods of pressure in our own half.

It’s why Lampard had specifically said he wanted to bring in defenders who could dominate the box, we do a lot of defending our own box. That isn’t because our defenders lack the ability to read the game but because it’s where we are as a team.

In any event, Tarkoski is joint second for most interceptions by a defender this season so suggests he does read the game well.

And feel finally, Tarkowski is nothing like Ben Godfrey, even as a “high end” version.
OK, I get what you're saying.

This isn't the Lampard thread but what you've said about him concerns me a lot.

It is, that's why professional players and managers never watch back the game afterward because they can't actually see it for real on the TV.
Or maybe it's because you can scrutinise positioning/vision under a huge microscope that's being observed by about 5000 cameras and trackers.

And watching it live is still miles ahead and what matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.