Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
We could have stood firm on a two year contract but would probably have missed out on the player.

Signing an experienced Premiership defender in his prime in a position we badly needed strengthening and for free is not bad business.
I have heard more than enough of the “PL experience” argument. The following are players who we signed, with PL experience (off the top of my head):

Sigurdsson
Walcott
Ashley Williams
Yannick Bolasie
Salomon Rondon
Anwar el Ghazi
Dele Alli

In a vacuum your point would be correct but we have our own, extensive, proven experience of signing failure after failure so we MUST protect ourselves to some degree even when doing deals that look otherwise pretty safe. Instead, we’ve jumped straight into another 4 years for a player who hasn’t shown a thing outside of Burnley’s bus-parking style of play.

I’ll say it again: I hope I’m wrong. I am very confident, though, that we’ll be seeing some widespread shouts for his head in his player thread by Jan, and in 3 years the usual lot will still be scratching their heads wondering why we can’t sell him.

I have heard more than enough of the “PL experience” argument. The following are players who we signed, with PL experience (off the top of my head):

Sigurdsson
Walcott
Ashley Williams
Yannick Bolasie
Salomon Rondon
Anwar el Ghazi
Dele Alli

In a vacuum your point would be correct but we have our own, extensive, proven experience of signing failure after failure so we MUST protect ourselves to some degree even when doing deals that look otherwise pretty safe. Instead, we’ve jumped straight into another 4 years for a player who hasn’t shown a thing outside of Burnley’s bus-parking style of play.

I’ll say it again: I hope I’m wrong. I am very confident, though, that we’ll be seeing some widespread shouts for his head in his player thread by Jan, and in 3 years the usual lot will still be scratching their heads wondering why we can’t sell him.
I hear what you're saying, but this is a maximum £15m pounds investment, likely less, which, in today's market, is nothing for an experienced Premier League defender. £15m gets you some crap reject from Liverpool. Resale value for Tarkowski isn't an issue whatsoever. He's a proven fit lad, good performer in a poor team and can almost guarantee 30+ games a season. A great addition to the squad.

I hear what you're saying, but this is a maximum £15m pounds investment, likely less, which, in today's market, is nothing for an experienced Premier League defender. £15m gets you some crap reject from Liverpool. Resale value for Tarkowski isn't an issue whatsoever. He's a proven fit lad, good performer in a poor team and can almost guarantee 30+ games a season. A great addition to the squad.
I beg everyone, please, for the love of GOD, PLEASE, stop saying stuff like this!

Sigurdsson
Walcott
Ashley Williams
Yannick Bolasie
Salomon Rondon
Anwar el Ghazi
Dele Alli

Richarlison,
Doucoure
Gray
Distin
Jagielka
Gana
Barry
Lukaku

Some players with PL experience we have signed in the past.

Some work, some don't.

Richarlison,
Doucoure
Gray
Distin
Jagielka
Gana
Barry
Lukaku

Some players with PL experience we have signed in the past.

Some work, some don't.
Very fair. It was disingenuous of me not to acknowledge there have been successes, but from that list the only one I’d list as recent and an unqualified success is Richarlison.

In the Moshiri era our hit rate has been overwhelmingly negative. That should make us more cautious with new transfers. The point was made earlier that the alternative to meeting Tarkowski’s 4 year demand was for us to lose the transfer. Fine. We should have done that.

People like to harp on about how we should stand firm on fees for outgoings, “send a message”, etc. That’s exactly what we should be doing with incomings, too. Let those players looking for one last payday know that we’re not a soft touch anymore. Opportunity well and truly missed.

Very fair. It was disingenuous of me not to acknowledge there have been successes, but from that list the only one I’d list as recent and an unqualified success is Richarlison.

In the Moshiri era our hit rate has been overwhelmingly negative. That should make us more cautious with new transfers. The point was made earlier that the alternative to meeting Tarkowski’s 4 year demand was for us to lose the transfer. Fine. We should have done that.

People like to harp on about how we should stand firm on fees for outgoings, “send a message”, etc. That’s exactly what we should be doing with incomings, too. Let those players looking for one last payday know that we’re not a soft touch anymore. Opportunity well and truly missed.
I forgot pickford as well, but I do get your point. In the moshiri era it's been worse, but we have also had several managers with different styles and it's a bit of a mishmash whereas prior to that, the consistent manager we had signed players that fit his system.

I think we put a lot of focus on PL experience and there is an importance to it, but as above it doesn't always work out. I'd argue Walcott did a job in terms of the manager who signed him and what was expected. (I'm sure I read somewhere that the number of big chances he created was high but we just weren't finishing them). Siggy has also done a decent job in terms of goals and assists prior to last season. But the fee (not his fault) meant that it was underwhelming return.

The rest have been total tosh though. We need the right players who the manager wants and will fit his system. If lamps think Tarks will fit, then that's enough for me. If he is also backed with other players he wants, and given time.

Sigurdsson
Walcott
Ashley Williams
Yannick Bolasie
Salomon Rondon
Anwar el Ghazi
Dele Alli

Premiership experience I'd mo guarantee of success but it is the most reliable indicator of what a player can do.

We have signed failures from Premiership clubs but possibly even more failures from abroad.

More than anything I am hoping for strength of character and leadership from him as we seem sadly lacking.

Why are some of us convincing ourselves Tarkowski is crap? Honestly I've thought he'd be a great signing for a while now.

From a big picture perspective we've beat Villa and Newcastle to a player already when many were concerned we'd dropped behind in pulling power.

Frank wanted him at Chelsea so clearly rates him. This is a good signing.

Sigurdsson
Walcott
Ashley Williams
Yannick Bolasie
Salomon Rondon
Anwar el Ghazi
Dele Alli

Sigurdsson was a decent signing for us we just overpaid, that wasnt his fault. His stats over the 3 seasons he played for us where decent.

Way too early to judge Dele Alli, he could be important for us next season.

Tarkowski is just what we need. And wont be our only signing. Not sure why all the negativity. Seems a shrewed buy.

Why are some of us convincing ourselves Tarkowski is crap? Honestly I've thought he'd be a great signing for a while now.

From a big picture perspective we've beat Villa and Newcastle to a player already when many were concerned we'd dropped behind in pulling power.

Frank wanted him at Chelsea so clearly rates him. This is a good signing.
Newcastle and Villa didn't want him. Newcastle are going after younger players with potential and trying to reduce squad age and Villa are aiming up market. Tarkowski had one game left in town really.

If it really is 120k per week I'd have this as a catastrophic bit of business showing lessons have not been learned. We have no business paying anyone anything near that amount and Tarkowski is simply a very average centre back that would not get into any non-promoted side bar Leeds and Southampton and just possibly Brentford.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.