Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely just agent talk, especially at £100k a week. He’s 29, he’s played for Oldham, Brentford and Burnley.

He’s fine in a team that sits in their own half, defends the edge of the box and gets a lot of protection from midfield in front of them. Please don’t saddle ourselves with him for 3/4 years on 100k a week, please.

Agreed.

For a big fee ofcourse not, but on a free, when Mina will mostly likely go for a fee. It's a reduction in wages, a fee coming in without spending. May allow movement elsewhere on the pitch and he';s a decent defender. He priorities defending.

Let's face it its hard to suggest any of our defenders this season have prioritised defending have they?
This is the key. I want a proper defender, not a "distributor" or a "wing-back". I want somebody who closes down, blocks shots and crosses, organises the back line, and defends set pieces with authority. The John Stones type - looks "classy" on the ball but has the same concept of defending as Roberto Martinez - is of no use to me. Let's get people in who defend - and then work from there.

Pants.

Also Richarlison wasn’t relegated.
I thought he was ttbh

My point stands regarding the other two. I dont rate Doucoure at all, runs and tries but cant control a ball.

There are bargains to be had, take it on a player-by-player basis. It shouldn't be a number 1 strategy to go for players like this all the time but if you can pick one out, for cheap, it can be more than worth it.

I can see the logic in tarkowski. Probably get a few million and Mina's wages off the books and replace with a free transfer on lower wages than mina.

Surely just agent talk, especially at £100k a week. He’s 29, he’s played for Oldham, Brentford and Burnley.

He’s fine in a team that sits in their own half, defends the edge of the box and gets a lot of protection from midfield in front of them. Please don’t saddle ourselves with him for 3/4 years on 100k a week, please.
I imagine it'll be 90k on 3 years. He'll be 32, defenders have been fine at that age before. I also expect us to have a few options in CB as well so not like he'll play 45 games (LOL as if we are getting far in cups) anyway.

I thought he was ttbh

My point stands regarding the other two. I dont rate Doucoure at all, runs and tries but cant control a ball.

There are bargains to be had, take it on a player-by-player basis. It shouldn't be a number 1 strategy to go for players like this all the time but if you can pick one out, for cheap, it can be more than worth it.

I can see the logic in tarkowski. Probably get a few million and Mina's wages off the books and replace with a free transfer on lower wages than mina.

Wages are the issue for me, Tarkowski should not be able to demand £90k+ a week from us. We really need to start running a tighter ship with regards to wages because that’s how we’ve ended up in such a hole. Any players we’re after, their agents are probably looking and going “hang on a minute, that Andre Gomes fella is on £100k so let’s start the bidding around that mark and go from there”

That figure alone says something about what he'd bring to the team given he's effectively their defensive lynchpin and organizer
Indeed.

You know, if Kaiser Franz Beckenbauer and Franco Baresi were marshalling our defence last season, I could understand being sniffy about Tarkowski. As I see it, he can only be an improvement on the Chuckle Brothers, Keane and Holgate, for starters - and his mere presence alone and ability to turn up for a match or two would make him more useful than Mina.

This is the key. I want a proper defender, not a "distributor" or a "wing-back". I want somebody who closes down, blocks shots and crosses, organises the back line, and defends set pieces with authority. The John Stones type - looks "classy" on the ball but has the same concept of defending as Roberto Martinez - is of no use to me. Let's get people in who defend - and then work from there.

We've entered the twilight zone, someone actually would prefer tarkowski instead of stoneslol

Fir me the difference is simple, Tarkowski organises, Keane needed to be organised, huge difference
That is a fair comment to make. Has better mental attributes than Keane. But as a player they are very similar. Keane is very much a confidence player, whereas this lad is probably more consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.