Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
No reservations about Tarkowski here. Free, won't demand huge wages, pretty dominant in the air so set piece defense improves immediately, rarely ever gets dribbled past, always near the top in blocks and clearances, and has done well in the PL in every year Burnley have been up.

No reservations about Tarkowski here. Free, won't demand huge wages, pretty dominant in the air so set piece defense improves immediately, rarely ever gets dribbled past, always near the top in blocks and clearances, and has done well in the PL in every year Burnley have been up.
I think he is likely to be our best option on a free. He is certainly dominant in the air and that will make a big difference to us.

I get that the defensive Burnley set up likely makes him look better than he actually is. But even if he’s only average in a more expansive team, he’d still be an improvement on what we have currently imo.

That’s if we decide to go with a more expansive approach right away at all. Still think we’re a number of players away from being able to outplay most teams. Midfield being the immediate concern.

I’ve come round on this signing a lot more on reflection. He improves on our current CBs except Mina who’s never fit and he played pretty much every game so has a good fitness record.

The main thing for me though, is if he improves the team without us having to spend money then it’s a signing we have to make whilst money is supposed to be short this season. If we can improve the team and save money for exciting signings (someone like Gallagher if possible or Johnson if Forest lose today) that’s a deal we should make.

Every now and again a position needs filling , and this is a major priority.
Do we spend any / all of our budget on a ready made quality Prem proven reliable player or do we invest in a young up coming CB like another Branthwaite ?

If we are indeed after Tarkowski there's very little downside , he would instantly give us much stability in a big problem area for us.
By all means sign a prospect to be eased in over the course of the next seadon or 2 with him.

Is he the very best CB in the Prem ?
Obviously not , but he is a well established , proven decent quality player for not much more than a Tosun wage packet.
I would snap him up immediately then focus on our Centre mid and bring in some much needed creativity.

I'm not sold on this signing but if they want to do it, get it done. Nothing to be gained by waiting weeks if both sides keen. Then move to to other targets.

A lot of work to be done after this. It should be about executing plans made as the summer progresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.