Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally think he will be a good signing if it comes off, but as always with new signings, its pretty much always mixed , or the usual some say he's rubbish because he got relegated etc

29 is not old for a central defender.
If we sign Tarkowski on a free then sell Mina and/or Holgate and /or Keane and /or Godfrey we will have bought a better defender for nothing and will have improved our FFP position by selling at least one player who plays in a similar position.
As there is no fee we have to accept there will be a higher wage.
It's true, but it sickens me that players get offered much more lucrative contracts just because their previous one expired and their agent say say "well you saved £Xm on his transfer fee". No we didn't, he was out of contract and didn't want to remain with his previous club. Either he wants to play for the club for the challenge, or he wants to go somewhere for the money. If it's the latter then he can koff.

It's true, but it sickens me that players get offered much more lucrative contracts just because their previous one expired and their agent say say "well you saved £Xm on his transfer fee". No we didn't, he was out of contract and didn't want to remain with his previous club. Either he wants to play for the club for the challenge, or he wants to go somewhere for the money. If it's the latter then he can koff.

Weird thing to be sickened about.

If you’re an employee you fight to get the best wage you can from your prospective employer. The employer will have no hesitation to sell you if it suits them. It’s perfectly fair to argue that a club saving multiple millions on a transfer fee should be willing to put some of that money into wages over the contract length. This isn’t a Pogba £500k a week scenario here.

Weird thing to be sickened about.

If you’re an employee you fight to get the best wage you can from your prospective employer. The employer will have no hesitation to sell you if it suits them. It’s perfectly fair to argue that a club saving multiple millions on a transfer fee should be willing to put some of that money into wages over the contract length. This isn’t a Pogba £500k a week scenario here.
I understand it, but I don't really agree with it (massively inflating wages simply because a player is out of contract). Something in me tells me that Tosun isn't going to waltz into a new club on increased wages. (this part is a joke as we know he was released as not needed and his stock has declined greatly.)

He's a solid defender and is the kind that normally does well here. We do better with defence first defenders. Doesn't get injured very often(until he joins us obv). I think it is a smart signing. I don't want flashy defenders I want effective defenders.

Gough, Distin both did well after being poo pooed by fans. We won't be attracting top tier and given what has just gone on this season, give me a Mr dependable anytime.

Yes. Despite all the media noise, Maguire is a good player.
I wouldn't touch Maquire with a barge pole but hey that's why we're on here discussing it because we've got varying opinions. I'm not saying that Tarkowski is rubbish i just think we should be looking at younger with more potential plus i am always a bit wary of taking players from relegated sides even though just being relegated doesn't necessarily make them rubbish. In the end we may be forced into the free market because of our financial position. I guess the next 8 weeks or so will show where we're shopping. I would just like our scouting system to throw up somebody that isn't blatantly obvious.

a well run club will have a list of about 10+ alternatives through out the world that have been scouted and assessed for months.
I agree but we’re not.
When people realise where we currently sit in the footballing world then perhaps a more humble approach is needed.
As for ‘we should be getting the best players if we want to succeed’ better placed and richer clubs are thinking the same about their squads also.

Status
Not open for further replies.