2021/22 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that we were probably going to subsidise his wages in the alleged move to Porto,

Are you suggesting Benitez has some issue with Columbians? Surely not??

I understand he managed James at Real Madrid. Surely it’s a personal thing, although I have no idea what the issue is. Is it known?
The issue is that James is not the sort of player Benitez likes. He is not 100% all action and the best at tackling back. Its as simple as that. At othe clubs he had liitle injuries often,same as at Everton. THis isn't neccessarily James fault, his feet are so clever that he will quite often draw a foul as a result of an ankle tap or a blatant push,resulting in another injury. A lot of genuine 'ball players' are like this, and they are a luxury that some down to earth managers can do with out.

I just think he’s too used to behaving like a spoiled child and getting his own way. Does too much talking on his twitch channel and clearly wanted to leave during the window. You’re putting a lot of blame on the club but even the national team chased him over the summer. To add to that, when you have Tino Asprilla saying you’re in the last chance saloon then there’s a chance you’ve got problems.

True star quality is unfortunately rare these days.
Right, a few things here

Yes, James would probably, almost certainly, have wanted to leave as soon as Ancelotti left.

However, the club, because of our finances, also wanted to shift him. We went as far as trying to set up a convoluted swap, just to get his wages off the books.

So there's blame to be had to both parties. It's a two-way streak.

However, he is here, so now we use him, as @Sassy Colombian says, it would be arrogance in the extreme to think we are above a player of that quality at least being in the squad. A squad that, regularly, has two GKs and less than the alotted subs on the bench.

Are you suggesting Benitez has some issue with Columbians? Surely not??

I understand he managed James at Real Madrid. Surely it’s a personal thing, although I have no idea what the issue is. Is it known?
I sure hope no, Colombians are lovely people.

It is a personal thing. They don't seem to get along from the times James was at Madrid.

I dont think his contribution last season was especially significant.

The issue for me is this: he will leave in the next 12 months; so why would a manager invest in him, and why also would he do that at the expense of a hard working if less skillful player who fits more the system he seeks to impose for the long term?
Are you talking about Richarlison here Dave ?

I hope this situation hasn’t turned into utter Özil now.

But if our recent promising form is somehow depending on keeping James out of the squad, then that’s a correct call by the manager.

If he's costing 200k p/w we might as well utilise him. It's not like we need to protect him for any potential transfer fee. Get him in the squad and see what he can do with the extra pace produced by Gray and Townsend. If he's number 10 with any 3 of DCL, Richarlison, Gray and Townsend in front he will have players to find with his through balls. More centrally his lack of defensive awareness won't be as costly.

Status
Not open for further replies.