2021/22 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a 5-4-1 he wouldn't play.

In a 4-2-3-1 like the first few games he can go in at 10.

I think the 5-4-1 was really mean to be a 3-4-3. Townsend said as much in his post-match interview.

Issue was, we had no way of making the ball stick up top so every time we went long it just came back to us. Townsend specifically mentioned Chelsea, who play with 2 10s both capable of dropping deep to get on the ball.

We've seemed to play this shape in the two games so far when the onus has been on us to control possession and in both games tbh we've failed at it. Not to say it can't work, but it needs a player in there to get on the ball. I reckon that could be James' role in that system, as one of the three. If the other two are one of Richarlison/Gray/DCL, then it's a good front three and can be amended as and when. While DCL is out, if Rich is starting up top we can't be just lumping things up to him. Defensively also leaves us with plenty of cover meaning Doucoure can join in the attack. We have to be playing him in behind and that means throughballs or passes into the channels. It's not gonna happen every game and right now James doesn't get in our 'first team' based on how we want to play, I think most people accept that.

We haven't really played 4-2-3-1 btw. If you look at the avg positions in those matches it was pretty much 4-4-2/4-4-1-1. I don't think James works in those systems. If we played 4-2-3-1 with Gray/Richarlison either side it could work but do think he tends to get a bit bogged down when starting central.

I haven't a problem with James off the bench mate but im not bothered either way.

He's not here past this season and doesnt suit our system - In Raf we trust he'll do whats right for us.

Can say that about half the players tbf mate

Dave mentioned Gomes wants to be here. I bet he does, he's on £120k a week!

BTW, Gomes absolutely the right sub for yesterday's game when it was needed. More physical etc and it worked well.

I don't really understand the opinion of him not doing his defensive duties. He's not quick so can't close down or press as well as others so maybe that's all people are seeing.

This is the thing for me. He just can't cover the ground. It's not a laziness thing. There was plenty of times last season when he was back trying to make tackles, and quite often did okay doing that.

But we shouldn't want James Rodriguez playing on top of our right-back making tackles.

His game time will be extremely limited under Benitez. I don't understand how people are shocked or enraged at the fact he wasn't involved yesterday. It's almost like they haven't realised Benitez is our manager.

That's why I said at the end of August that it was sensible for all parties that he found a new club so he could go and play much more regularly. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it looked fairly clear cut to me. We can't afford an expensive player that a manager sees as no more than a bit part player. James can't afford a season of no football 15 months from a world cup.

But just because he wasn't on the bench yesterday doesn't mean he will never be involved either. I'm pretty sure he will be involved some of the time, and expect him to play next Tuesday. Yesterday was one match. We will just have to see what happens, but it's not ideal for anyone.

Don't enjoy seeing photographs of him smoking and chilling on a private yacht while our other players are on the training ground. Even if he's not in the team at present, or even if he's been told he's not going to get a game this season, the very least I'd expect from him is to train hard and stay sharp and fit just in case he gets called upon. Don't get me wrong, I fully understand him taking such liberties if he's been told he's not wanted and to gtfo of Everton. Being paid £100,000 a week and told you don't need to do anything for it is the ultimate dream for most people. I'd like to see him try to force his way into the squad because he's a great player who could be very important for us this season.

Don't enjoy seeing photographs of him smoking and chilling on a private yacht while our other players are on the training ground. Even if he's not in the team at present, or even if he's been told he's not going to get a game this season, the very least I'd expect from him is to train hard and stay sharp and fit just in case he gets called upon. Don't get me wrong, I fully understand him taking such liberties if he's been told he's not wanted and to gtfo of Everton. Being paid £100,000 a week and told you don't need to do anything for it is the ultimate dream for most people. I'd like to see him try to force his way into the squad because he's a great player who could be very important for us this season.
The manager doesn’t fancy him in the squad and we’re winning games so that’s where we are , at the minute difficult to criticise the man in charge but I presume you’re equally unhappy with Allan for being on holiday at the same time ? I haven’t checked his thread but he was also on a break , admittedly not vaping but Not on the training ground at they were granted a break or is it just James you’re exercised about ?

James and Benitez go way back. If your James, you know Benitez doesn't want you around. I can see it from my humble standpoint, so he definitely can.
so why stay? his agent could have got a team in one of the big leagues to give him a one year contract, with Everton paying up any balance so he didn't lose out. But he didn't bother. Why? He quite fancies doing not very much til January, and having pops at Benitez every now and again? Whatever the reason, anyone expecting a fully motivated James to come roaring off the subs bench is in for a bit of a shock. We'll see what happens at QPR
How does that make sense?

He'd have been able to go to Turkey and we'd have paid his wages for the pleasure. He'd have played every week and got in Colombia's squad if he stayed injury free. He didn't want to play in Turkey because he knows he can still cut it at the top level and it happens that he's our best player by far technically.

Benitez proved yesterday he was lying about the match fitness by putting Rondon on the bench and then giving him a run out. That's his prerogative, but don't lie about it and be sneaky. It only works until something goes wrong and for 60 mins last night we were god awful playing in a system that absolutely needed someone of James' attributes on the ball to make it work.

I'm not saying he should have played yesterday. But with DCL out, for up to 3, probably the next break, there is no way there isn't room for James in our matchday 20. Especially when Rondon looked like he'd been on the ale for six months when he came on. And that's alright, he'll improve, but he hasn't had a pre-season so if anything he's behind James fitness wise.

James and Benitez go way back. If your James, you know Benitez doesn't want you around. I can see it from my humble standpoint, so he definitely can.
so why stay? his agent could have got a team in one of the big leagues to give him a one year contract, with Everton paying up any balance so he didn't lose out. But he didn't bother. Why? He quite fancies doing not very much til January, and having pops at Benitez every now and again? Whatever the reason, anyone expecting a fully motivated James to come roaring off the subs bench is in for a bit of a shock. We'll see what happens at QPR
That's one way of looking at it. However he is still at the club and a more than useful asset that Benitez should definitely utilise if only from the bench. We have a paucity of creativity anyway and to shun the most creative player in our squad and one of the most creative players in the PL is frankly bizarre and ultimately tells you a great deal about Benitez as an individual. It reeks of petty revenge .
Whilst we are winning no Evertonian will give a toss but fail to break down a Norwich or Watford then Benitez will cop it.
I totally understand the argument that the team is pulling together and everyone is putting in effort and contributing and Benitez doesn't want to upset harmony or work ethic by having James in the starting XI but that argument is meaningless when it comes to options off the bench.

How can he show it if he won’t get picked?
He does it in training and he also stops posting crap online - then see what happens, this isn't just about Everton, he can't even get into his national side at the moment even though he's a national hero
Do you watch him in training to know he’s not putting the effort in?

You know I don't. You also know that this fella has never been 100% committed to any club he plays for - it's the James show. Listen to Benitez press conference last week and every reply to James 'commitment and hard work' was mentioned. If you think he's a hard worker, happy days.
An undoubted talent but although he's a rich man, he'll look back on his career with regret as he could have been one of the best.
We'd all be best served concentrating on those that are working their nuts off for a shirt.

How does that make sense?

He'd have been able to go to Turkey and we'd have paid his wages for the pleasure. He'd have played every week and got in Colombia's squad if he stayed injury free. He didn't want to play in Turkey because he knows he can still cut it at the top level and it happens that he's our best player by far technically.

Benitez proved yesterday he was lying about the match fitness by putting Rondon on the bench and then giving him a run out. That's his prerogative, but don't lie about it and be sneaky. It only works until something goes wrong and for 60 mins last night we were god awful playing in a system that absolutely needed someone of James' attributes on the ball to make it work.

I'm not saying he should have played yesterday. But with DCL out, for up to 3, probably the next break, there is no way there isn't room for James in our matchday 20. Especially when Rondon looked like he'd been on the ale for six months when he came on. And that's alright, he'll improve, but he hasn't had a pre-season so if anything he's behind James fitness wise.
when I said top leagues I didn't mean Turkey. He could have gone anywhere, he chose to stick around doing bugger all.
you'll see how motivated he is at QPR

His game time will be extremely limited under Benitez. I don't understand how people are shocked or enraged at the fact he wasn't involved yesterday. It's almost like they haven't realised Benitez is our manager.

That's why I said at the end of August that it was sensible for all parties that he found a new club so he could go and play much more regularly. I don't necessarily agree with it, but it looked fairly clear cut to me. We can't afford an expensive player that a manager sees as no more than a bit part player. James can't afford a season of no football 15 months from a world cup.

But just because he wasn't on the bench yesterday doesn't mean he will never be involved either. I'm pretty sure he will be involved some of the time, and expect him to play next Tuesday. Yesterday was one match. We will just have to see what happens, but it's not ideal for anyone.

My issue with yesterday mate is Benitez's excuse will be match fitness, but he had Rondon on there (rightly so, btw, you always need a sub forward).

We've got 20 players to use in a matchday squad. Davies has been out for 2.5 weeks injured, only returned to training this weekend. Gordon was getting loaned out until deadline day, won't get a sniff v Burnley anyway. We've had James training for 3 weeks in total now, bar the break they all got last weekend.

For him not to be on the bench in that situation proves to me it isn't about match fitness. That's the manager's decision, fine, and we're well within our rights to say it's one that seems ridiculous to make.

when I said top leagues I didn't mean Turkey. He could have gone anywhere, he chose to stick around doing bugger all.
you'll see how motivated he is at QPR
What do you mean?

There would have to be offers willing to match his wage which given his injury record even I will accept wasn't going to happen.

He can't go to anywhere in Spain, they're all skint. PSG could afford him but don't need him. None of the big 4/5 teams in the PL need him or can afford him, either way. The rest of the PL teams - I don't think he'd want to go to any of them and again it's cost. We'd have to pay another PL club for him to play for them. I mean, we're daft but don't think we're that daft.

Germany - the Bundesliga clubs spent less than they sold this summer. Serie A is skint.

So no, he couldn't have 'gone anywhere'. He clearly would rather have left but he hasn't and has said he wants to play when he can. Townsend said just yesterday that he's been training hard like all the rest of the team. It's on the manager to use him. It shouldn't be a chore to use James Rodriguez.

FFS mate

NOBODY WAS AT THE TRAINING GROUND

How many more times does it need to be said? The players that weren't on international break were all given last Friday to Monday off. All of them. He went to Ibiza, went to his mate's yacht cos he's a millionaire, went to do a charity event at a school and then flew home.

He's been in training with all the others since Thursday and was available last night. He has been in training ever since leaving isolation after the Leeds game.

My issue with yesterday mate is Benitez's excuse will be match fitness, but he had Rondon on there (rightly so, btw, you always need a sub forward).

We've got 20 players to use in a matchday squad. Davies has been out for 2.5 weeks injured, only returned to training this weekend. Gordon was getting loaned out until deadline day, won't get a sniff v Burnley anyway. We've had James training for 3 weeks in total now, bar the break they all got last weekend.

For him not to be on the bench in that situation proves to me it isn't about match fitness. That's the manager's decision, fine, and we're well within our rights to say it's one that seems ridiculous to make.

The one thing I would say on James was that he was a long way off the pace in pre season matches. I wasn't particularly happy with him in those matches because he wasn't sharp at all, but equally wasn't really moving around much. You aren't going to get fit in pre season by coasting round the pitch.

He made the decision to stay, which is fine, but he was never going to play regularly under Benitez. I'm sure he knows that's the case. Equally fitness can only be an excuse for so long. Benitez will at some point just have to admit he doesn't rate the player, if he continues to leave him out of matchday squads.

Status
Not open for further replies.