2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not played much before he come here, the most physical league in the world, we are crap and spend loads of time without the ball which means more running.

He was never going to play 15 games in a row.

What's your point regarding James?

I wasn't happy he didn't even get a name in the squad tonight. I'd have liked to think he'd be there with the team as well.

I think it's pathetic either way. he should be able to feature for 10 minutes if needed but even having a place on the bench would surely have been useful if we'd had needed him.

I hope he's going to be here next season but today is the first time I thought he might not be, if it really is just 'fatigue'.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that a player of his style, who has not played more than 28 games a season for 6 years, and has a history of muscle strains, has struggled with the pace and intensity in his 1st season in a new country. Not just any league, but the Premier league, 1 of the most physically demanding leagues in the world, during a season in which a global pandemic has meant a compact schedule of a game every 4 or 5 days, with no pre season, and restricted training.

All of this while having to try and settle in a new country in the most bizarre of circumstances, and playing for a team that has, for the most part, struggled with a lack of pace and mobility with a squad that is at best patchy.

The whole team has ran out of steam. And not just our team either. I would say the majority of players across the league can't wait to draw a line under this season and forget it ever happened.

Granted, it would have been nice for him to play tonight in front of the fans in attendance, but I'm not 1 for trivialising any injury, because you don't know the severity until you experience it yourself.

I'm hoping for a proper preseason, an overhaul of the squad, and hopefully a game plan that doesn't involve 85 minutes of backs to the wall, everyone man behind the ball defending. Then we should see more of the glimpses we've seen this year and can play to his strengths rather than asking the most gifted player we've had in generations to just "get stuck in".

It's funny how players with his skill set get asked to put the same shift in as everyone else, but it's never really expected that the players who are all effort to just score and create loads more.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that a player of his style, who has not played more than 28 games a season for 6 years, and has a history of muscle strains, has struggled with the pace and intensity in his 1st season in a new country. Not just any league, but the Premier league, 1 of the most physically demanding leagues in the world, during a season in which a global pandemic has meant a compact schedule of a game every 4 or 5 days, with no pre season, and restricted training.

All of this while having to try and settle in a new country in the most bizarre of circumstances, and playing for a team that has, for the most part, struggled with a lack of pace and mobility with a squad that is at best patchy.

The whole team has ran out of steam. And not just our team either. I would say the majority of players across the league can't wait to draw a line under this season and forget it ever happened.

Granted, it would have been nice for him to play tonight in front of the fans in attendance, but I'm not 1 for trivialising any injury, because you don't know the severity until you experience it yourself.

I'm hoping for a proper preseason, an overhaul of the squad, and hopefully a game plan that doesn't involve 85 minutes of backs to the wall, everyone man behind the ball defending. Then we should see more of the glimpses we've seen this year and can play to his strengths rather than asking the most gifted player we've had in generations to just "get stuck in".

It's funny how players with his skill set get asked to put the same shift in as everyone else, but it's never really expected that the players who are all effort to just score and create loads more.

They're all very good points and I really hope it's the case. I love him as a player and he's miles better than anything we have.

But would have been nice to see him push himself to be in the squad today.

Possible James was who Carlo was talking about regards attitude? I didn't really agree with the Richarlison shouts as he been pretty rubbish for most of the season and has a face liked a smacked bum most of the time he always seems to be trying.

I reckon James is being saved for the city game, it’s a must not lose game if we have any chance of Europe. I personally don’t think we have a chance but stranger things have happened.

Seems we'll not get anymore from the lad than we are already getting. Like I said some time ago, @davek called it right about James when we bought him. Some have said we need to build the team around him, but you can't do that with someone who is basically playing on a part-time basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.