2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah pre assists seem.like dumb stats but not in James' case.

He usually makes a killer pass into the box that leaves the defenses with their pants down. Easy cross for a tap in. He does it with Digne, he did it with Coleman, he does it all the time.

When he makes those passes, I fully expect a goal. I know it doesn't show in the stats, but it is what he does for us.
I think it's a big stat for Ice Hockey (might be wrong sport) but pretty much for those exact reasons you mentioned.
Killer ball through, reciever plays simple square ball for the eventual scorer.
On review, James' contribution was perhaps more telling.

Yeah pre assists seem.like dumb stats but not in James' case.

He usually makes a killer pass into the box that leaves the defenses with their pants down. Easy cross for a tap in. He does it with Digne, he did it with Coleman, he does it all the time.

When he makes those passes, I fully expect a goal. I know it doesn't show in the stats, but it is what he does for us.

Iwobi’s contribution to the second goal at Fulham comes into that category.

He wasn’t the “assister” but his direct running at their defence was what made the goal.

I think the whole thing should be called "meaningful contribution" instead of even assists or "pre-assists". Bolasie got an assist because he miscontrolled a long ball to him, Lukaku grabbed it and ran 50 yards to score a great goal. Did Bolasie really do anything of note? No.

Like @Saint Domingo referenced, Pienaar often had just ridiculous movement and ball retention that sprang Baines loose to send in a pass for a goal but Pienaar never got credit for any of those. Did that mean he wasn't good? Not at all, just couldn't really say "he got the assist TO the assist". James is along those lines, the stuff he does may not result in a goal directly but he often is the reason that the goal comes off with his pass right before.

Screenshot_20201125-094210~2.png

As he prepares for a tough end of the year in the Premier League, James Rodríguez reappears in the English media after his team's victory over Fulham last Sunday. As in so many occasions, it was 'Liverpool Echo' who again echoed the Colombian's defensive contribution in the schemes of an Ancelotti who already assured that his attackers have few responsibilities in his system. Michael Ball, former 'Toffee', assured that the cucuteño should not worry about this aspect and at the same time praised the quality of the one born in our country.

"He was not signed for his defensive contributions , so Everton should focus on getting the best out of him in attack," commented a Ball who wore the Goodison Park team colors between 1996 and 2001.

On the new schemes used by Ancelotti and where James was favored by taking a place behind the forwards he commented: "He moved towards the center during Sunday's win against Fulham, taking the defenders with him and creating spaces for Iwobi to take over the right wing. "

" His teammates have more time and space to play in the opposite field," Ball continued to analyze the 3-4-2-1 that Everton released last weekend and in which the Colombian moved away from a right wing where he did not finish finding his best version.

The words of Michael Ball come during one of the most difficult moments for James Rodríguez who was able raise his head with an Everton that was coming from three defeats and a draw in the Premier, and where it now occupies the sixth place in the table in a season where the objective is to return to Europe. Has the debate on James Rodriguez's defensive responsibilities been settled?

Last edited:

I think the whole thing should be called "meaningful contribution" instead of even assists or "pre-assists". Bolasie got an assist because he miscontrolled a long ball to him, Lukaku grabbed it and ran 50 yards to score a great goal. Did Bolasie really do anything of note? No.

Like @Saint Domingo referenced, Pienaar often had just ridiculous movement and ball retention that sprang Baines loose to send in a pass for a goal but Pienaar never got credit for any of those. Did that mean he wasn't good? Not at all, just couldn't really say "he got the assist TO the assist". James is along those lines, the stuff he does may not result in a goal directly but he often is the reason that the goal comes off with his pass right before.

I remember watching a game, the defender volleyed the ball clear with no intent apart from just too clear his lines, player heads his clearance on and someone scores from it and it's classed as a pre - assist. I said it earlier maybe it can only be classed as a pre - assist if the bit of play or ball played was intentional.

I remember watching a game, the defender volleyed the ball clear with no intent apart from just too clear his lines, player heads his clearance on and someone scores from it and it's classed as a pre - assist. I said it earlier maybe it can only be classed as a pre - assist if the bit of play or ball played was intentional.
Right, the idea that any ball that leads to an assist is asinine just the same that any pass that leads to a goal should be called/given as an assist. Intent really matters, or at least it should.

"Pre-assists" aren't really a stat. There are stats that measure contributions that aren't directly leading to goals that just isn't one as it can be fairly random.

Some players are above needing stats to justify their position.

Also, comments about his defensive contributions, or lack thereof, are to be ignored. The media - be it journalists, pundits or commentators - never offer anything beyond the most superficial, milquetoast analysis.

MNF used to be alright, but even that's become some kind of meta parody of itself.

It's about the quality of the pre-assist really. Often it's someone plays a simple pass to someone who then plays an an actually good pass for the assist.

A lot of James's have been quality passes that have split defences making the guy who actually gets the assist's job much easier.
  • Dink over the top to Richarlison before he put it on a plate for DCL against WBA
  • Couple of incisive balls inside to Coleman, one against WBA and another against Palace
  • Perfectly weighted pass down the line for Digne's cross against Liverpool
  • The above x2 against Fulham
The 6th on that list is just a corner taken short to Sigurdsson who then crosses in for DCL against Brighton, so that is a scenario I wouldn't deem significant.

Basically, I think there is a scope for pre-assists / hockey assists to be counted in football but we should perhaps place even greater weight on the actual quality of the pass more than we do a regular assist.

Stats and jarg talk aside though, one thing is clear and that is just that James is utterly boss at football.

It's about the quality of the pre-assist really. Often it's someone plays a simple pass to someone who then plays an an actually good pass for the assist.

A lot of James's have been quality passes that have split defences making the guy who actually gets the assist's job much easier.
  • Dink over the top to Richarlison before he put it on a plate for DCL against WBA
  • Couple of incisive balls inside to Coleman, one against WBA and another against Palace
  • Perfectly weighted pass down the line for Digne's cross against Liverpool
  • The above x2 against Fulham
The 6th on that list is just a corner taken short to Sigurdsson who then crosses in for DCL against Brighton, so that is a scenario I wouldn't deem significant.

Basically, I think there is a scope for pre-assists / hockey assists to be counted in football but we should perhaps place even greater weight on the actual quality of the pass more than we do a regular assist.

Stats and jarg talk aside though, one thing is clear and that is just that James is utterly boss at football.
He would run rings around any of the so called pundits on the pitch.

*edit walk rings

Peter Reid was a prime example of this too. His general play contributed so much to put players like Sheedy, Steven, Sharp, Heath etc into dangerous positions but that contribution wouldn't have counted as an assist. In fact that whole 80s team contributed so much in this way. Watching football and reading stats will give 2 completely different pictures

I think a nice comparison is David Silva. He’s just gone to Real Sociedad who are currently TOP of La Liga.
I read the other day he only has 2 assists and 1 goal but the point is he’s making them tick even if he’s not putting the ball in the net himself or assisting.

Status
Not open for further replies.