2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was off it today. They got round him and Bertrand did a job on him.

Godfrey offered nothing going forward - as expected - so it limited the runs which create space for James.

He was bound to have a poor game, just have to hope it was nothing more than cramp at the end.

In hindsight, today was one of those games where it might have been better to have him in the middle.

Then again, that would require us to have a right winger, and we don't have one of those.

Yep I wonder if he wasn't 100%... and if its a hamstring - i wonder if its better if they rested him for the Newcastle match or just start him on the bench so he only plays 30 minutes. Id rather he miss one game, then potentially miss 3 or 4 games... these muscular injuries can derail a season with the rest of the body overcompensating in other areas.

But to the game specifically - James wasn't tracking back and there was no cover for Godfrey defensively, left a huge gap there all day. Doucoure should have been the one covering for James tactically.

It was also one of those games where Everton were horrible in possession and couldn't get it to James without the play breaking down around Iwobi/Siggy/Allan or Godfrey giving it up a lot. Even still James lost it a few times as well so the whole team was bad all around. He was super tidy and efficient the first couple of weeks. I guess the opposition are scouting him harder. Southampton didn't have any world class quality but they stuck to the game plan and were really clinical - that wins plenty of games in this league.

He looked off the pace yesterday, didn’t look like he should have been playing. I know a lot of people will say it was mind games with Ancelotti over the injury situation but if it’s true he didn’t train until Friday you could clearly see that yesterday. Ancelotti also said his hamstring felt tight, if he’s not 100% against Newcastle I wouldn’t risk him, need him for the big game against Man Utd.

No way he should be playing next week.

He’s gone from not playing much to playing every week in the most intense league. If we have any hope of top 6 we have to be able to beat teams like Newcastle without him. He won’t and shouldn’t play every game.

i see that completely the other way round. Godfrey was hammered all day because he got no support. James is a luxury, one we need but not at the expense of our entire right side

Both valid points. The defensive and offensive side suffered.

Shows the importance of a proper right back and probably how we don’t appreciate Coleman enough.

A lot of people saying he didn´t look fit, I don´t think he´s looked fit all season. It´s just that he´s a different class to every player on the pitch when the ball is at his feet.

I understand why he was played yesterday, he´s just that important to us.

Man United is a 6 pointer, Newcastle isn't, that's the crux of it, we need him fit a lot more for the man utd game than Newcastle imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.