2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he plays it has to be on the right. There is no way we are able to accomodate a traditional no.10 and two strikers (Richarlison and DCL).

The only way we can accomodate him is out wide in a 433 with a midfield 3 behind him.

The no.10 playmaker role is outdated and has no place in the modern premier league. You need flexibility with pacy players who can play across the front line. No good side plays with a no,10 anymore.

You can still play a quasi-number 10 if he sits a bit deeper and is mobile enough to get in the box - OR you have a very adapt box-to-box midfielder.

I have doubts Doucoure is that. In fact, I'm sure he isn't. Positionally he isn't right. So that's the reason we can't play Rodriguez centrally really, because we'd get picked apart constantly on the break and have Allan overloaded.

So yeah, comes to the same thing; in England there's little realistic way to play Rodriguez centrally apart from as a Plan B.

Needs a team that plays a high line and spends more time on the ball than off it; that way his starting position can be further up the pitch and he can effect the game in the areas he is most effective. He will also then press with more intensity off the ball if he has to do it less. Think this was evidenced at the start of last season when we played a more attacking brand of football.

However when we started to drop off and sit deep he was just doing doggys and we knackered him out eh.

Still our best football player so leave him alone and stop trying to hound him

Needs a team that plays a high line and spends more time on the ball than off it; that way his starting position can be further up the pitch and he can effect the game in the areas he is most effective. He will also then press with more intensity off the ball if he has to do it less. Think this was evidenced at the start of last season when we played a more attacking brand of football.

However when we started to drop off and sit deep he was just doing doggys and we knackered him out eh.

Still our best football player so leave him alone and stop trying to hound him

Would agree with this but we aren’t building a possession based side unfortunately.

If he plays it has to be on the right. There is no way we are able to accomodate a traditional no.10 and two strikers (Richarlison and DCL).

The only way we can accomodate him is out wide in a 433 with a midfield 3 behind him.

The no.10 playmaker role is outdated and has no place in the modern premier league. You need flexibility with pacy players who can play across the front line. No good side plays with a no,10 anymore.
And yet 4231 has only grown over the last couple of seasons with a 10 AC in the middle of the 3!

This role is where James has proved effective throughout his career.

1628590451463.png

Some recent stats on formation trends in the prem.

1628590549813.png

And considering more recent trends "the ever-popular 4-2-3-1 extended its dominance as the Premier League’s first-choice formation, with nine clubs using it."

1628590994872.png

You are welcome to your opinion and I am not saying James should never be pushed to the right of a three, just that IMO and his career he has proved very effective in that AC role. He has a quick brain, the ability to spot a pass and shoot when in front of the box.

And yet 4231 has only grown over the last couple of seasons with a 10 AC in the middle of the 3!

This role is where James has proved effective throughout his career.

View attachment 135704

Some recent stats on formation trends in the prem.

View attachment 135705

And considering more recent trends "the ever-popular 4-2-3-1 extended its dominance as the Premier League’s first-choice formation, with nine clubs using it."

View attachment 135706

You are welcome to your opinion and I am not saying James should never be pushed to the right of a three, just that IMO and his career he has proved very effective in that AC role. He has a quick brain, the ability to spot a pass and shoot when in front of the box.

Yes most teams use that system, but they do not use a slow player like James in a central position. Good sides have players who are flexible and can play across the front line. They have players who will carry the ball forward and drive at defenders.

James would be an old fashioned play maker type who doesn't have the pace the threaten teams in behind. That type of role doesn't work in this league and hasn't for several years.

I always go back to the Coutinho scenario at Liverpool. They replaced him with faster, more direct players who could be fluid and move across the front line. It was only after they moved him on and brought in Salah, Mane etc that they improved.

You can still play a quasi-number 10 if he sits a bit deeper and is mobile enough to get in the box - OR you have a very adapt box-to-box midfielder.

I have doubts Doucoure is that. In fact, I'm sure he isn't. Positionally he isn't right. So that's the reason we can't play Rodriguez centrally really, because we'd get picked apart constantly on the break and have Allan overloaded.

So yeah, comes to the same thing; in England there's little realistic way to play Rodriguez centrally apart from as a Plan B.
Spot on sadly, which is ridiculous considering just how many levels above the rest of the team he is in terms of technical ability.

Yes most teams use that system, but they do not use a slow player like James in a central position. Good sides have players who are flexible and can play across the front line. They have players who will carry the ball forward and drive at defenders.

James would be an old fashioned play maker type who doesn't have the pace the threaten teams in behind. That type of role doesn't work in this league and hasn't for several years.

I always go back to the Coutinho scenario at Liverpool. They replaced him with faster, more direct players who could be fluid and move across the front line. It was only after they moved him on and brought in Salah, Mane etc that they improved.
As I say, you are welcome to your opinion ;)

First and foremost, I'm an Everton supporter, not a JR or Gylfi supporter. Do not know why you mention Gylfi in this debate. I have not mentioned him. My point is that it is only natural for managers to prioritize players who are largely injury-free and in good shape. Then it is much easier to develop a team, create a collective cohesive unit. It gives far more points over a season than what a single player can manage alone.
i observed that you are the number 1 James hater in this thread... all season long you relentlessly bash/malign/bad mouthed/blame James for all the bad intention.. so you are doing those for Everton? OK.... good for you!

i observed that you are the number 1 James hater in this thread... all season long you relentlessly bash/malign/bad mouthed/blame James for all the bad intention.. so you are doing those for Everton? OK.... good for you!
Okay, that's your opinion. I myself would say that I have a fairly balanced view. I have pointed out his strengths, but also his limitations. These weaknesses are quite well known in international football, and therefore many clubs are skeptical of JR. It is not many months since he was not considered in good enough physical shape to play for Colombia. Something that is not unique in JR's career.

I have also tried to point out that Everton are not in a position where they can prioritize a player who is very often injured, and who is rarely in top physical shape. At the same time, I hope that he will get this sorted out, because in form he is a player who has an X factor. Still, I do not consider him among the best offensive midfielders in the world per. today, but in form he is a very good offensive midfielder. I think it's a fairly realistic view, and shared by most people who follow international football - except for a couple of Everton supporters and Colombians.

The man has said the same himself. His type of player is one that's disappearing from the game

However... quality is permanent so you make it work somehow. Especially with us.

James in and around the box is deadly. We just never get him near the box lol

Okay, that's your opinion. I myself would say that I have a fairly balanced view. I have pointed out his strengths, but also his limitations. These weaknesses are quite well known in international football, and therefore many clubs are skeptical of JR. It is not many months since he was not considered in good enough physical shape to play for Colombia. Something that is not unique in JR's career.

I have also tried to point out that Everton are not in a position where they can prioritize a player who is very often injured, and who is rarely in top physical shape. At the same time, I hope that he will get this sorted out, because in form he is a player who has an X factor. Still, I do not consider him among the best offensive midfielders in the world per. today, but in form he is a very good offensive midfielder. I think it's a fairly realistic view, and shared by most people who follow international football - except for a couple of Everton supporters and Colombians.
exactly these are your points and tones all this time.... i just wondered have you not ever get tired of pointing this out? all these "James weakness" blah blah... i hope you will be rested in peace or i should say in peace when james leave... get a life!

exactly these are your points and tones all this time.... i just wondered have you not ever get tired of pointing this out? all these "James weakness" blah blah... i hope you will be rested in peace or i should say in peace when james leave... get a life!
The logical consequence of what you say is that everyone who speaks on a football forum, especially critically, does not have a life. The irony is that it also includes yourself. I expect you to share the same message when it comes to other players and managers. Good luck with that:)

The logical consequence of what you say is that everyone who speaks on a football forum, especially critically, does not have a life. The irony is that it also includes yourself. I expect you to share the same message when it comes to other players and managers. Good luck with that:)
a lot of poster in this forum are critical and logical about their views about james, i understand that... but you? you are not, .... your tendency to repeat and highlight james failure not just here in everton.. but also in his entire career both country and club is impeccable... you are not logical as what you think.... you need a hard slap in your face to realize that...

Status
Not open for further replies.