Confirmed Signing James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Against my better judgement I've just read an article from the Guardian sports writer Jonathan Wilson.
It's supposed to be about James and his proposed move to us. Within the first few lines he then does quite a job on us, with comments like only a couple of teams in the Premier league, us and West Ham would entertain buying him. He accuses us, with maybe a bit of truth, of buying reputation rather than form, listing Iwobi, Siggy, Delph, and then the cheeky prick includes Digne in the list.
Anyway bottom line is that we will be better off if we don't sign him.
I checked Wikipedia on this guy and he's from Sunderland so maybe he isn't another RS apologist.
I suggest reading it.

Horribly difficult for anyone to be truly objective though, isn't it. There's a definite leitmotif to journalism about Everton and it isn't one of positivity.
Positive and negative at the same time.

What's the time difference in Colombia? they're about 6 hours behind yeah? Could be timing the announcement a bit later today because of that.
Colombian breakfast news is going to be great in a couple of hours
67538B18-3F5C-4DD8-AC3E-3A8C2495FC2E.jpeg

Against my better judgement I've just read an article from the Guardian sports writer Jonathan Wilson.
It's supposed to be about James and his proposed move to us. Within the first few lines he then does quite a job on us, with comments like only a couple of teams in the Premier league, us and West Ham would entertain buying him. He accuses us, with maybe a bit of truth, of buying reputation rather than form, listing Iwobi, Siggy, Delph, and then the cheeky prick includes Digne in the list.
I checked Wikipedia on this guy and he's from Sunderland so maybe he isn't another RS apologist.
I suggest reading it.

This is the reason why buddy

I suggest reading it.
Wait til you find out he did a biography of shankly...

I made this point yesterday!

It’s hipster to knock everton.

it’s a really tired trope.

ignore them. What is happening tight now is fun. Enjoy it.

get excited about the moment Allan takes the ball off someone, Doucouré carries it forward and lays it to Rodríguez who smashes it from 25 yards with his left peg.

I wouldn’t say that at all, it’s very mainstream.

I made this point yesterday!

It’s hipster to knock everton.

it’s a really tired trope.

ignore them. What is happening tight now is fun. Enjoy it.

get excited about the moment Allan takes the ball off someone, Doucouré carries it forward and lays it to Rodríguez who smashes it from 25 yards with his left peg.
I think there is a bit of that, however i do think with regards to the sports media they still don't like the fact we binned off fat Sam who the media all seem to love despite the fact he did the dirty on England and the fact he plays the most primitive form of the game possible.

He doesn't 'ignore' it, though. Nkounku was signed for the U23s. It's only 'cause Baines retired that we're playing him.

Anyway, going round in circles. His general point about James is, imo, correct. Not every objective piece is a hatchet job.
Nobody signs players “for” the U23’s.

Players are signed because it is thought that they’ll be able to play first team football. It may be that they have to start in the U23’s, but they still weren’t bought FOR the U23’s. Just like in years gone by no one was ever signed FOR the reserves

I suggest reading it.

I think you have to be open minded, its a polorised article, but if you are open minded, you have to be open to criticism. With articles like that we only have ourselves to blame, we have been to transient on stability, chopped and changed managers and have had at times a non coherent patch work team of different managers and bad recruitment. This guy is betting on that trend continuing. If we are being honest that is a valid opinion form the outside looking in.

There is an opposing view of course from a more intimate knowledge if what is going on at the club. That much heavy lifting has been done on the squad over hang, we are reaching the last third of getting players we dont want out. While we have invested in slow burners for development like DCL, Richarilison, Branthwaite, Kean, Holgate, Gbdmin, Gordon etc. etc. We that as the future, what maybe has been identified is the need, for experience to bolster that plan and development. If that is the strategy we should back it.

We shouldn't be closed minded though, many on here have have warned aboutt he age of Allan and Jamo in particular. We have experienced already lads coming from CL clubs and not doing the business here, as hopeful as we are there are always risks.

Ive been struck over the last few days and the real lack of patience at getting these deals done. If im honest i remember the same intent and threads during the Schneiderlin, Delph, Niasse moves.

The way i see it the truth comes down to personal opinion and ultimately what happens on the field regardless of media. So i have no problem with Allan and Doucoure. Jamo obviously has quality but i think there are a few risks in the deal if we are all being honest, personally ill be surprised if he players north on 30 games this season, but that may be ok to.

Im on record as saying we need commitment, stability, quality and leadership in the squad and team for nearly 5 years now, i also am big believer in backing a manager in their plan if you employ them and give them min three years with it, so im more then happy with what we are doing.

I do see there are some risks, though, essentially every transfer is a risk really as we have found, we have signed some very good players here in the past that just haven't worked out.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.