James McCarthy

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other thing to bear in mind is that McCarthy was operating in a side that was not pressing at all as a unit (it was in the first season under Martinez then it slackened off...and that first season, funnily enough, is when McCarthy got a lot of praise). Gueye benefits from having a lot of players pressing and he's not having to spread himself too thinly across the park as McCarthy has had to latterly which means he can also conserve energy levels and target particular opponents.

Put Gueye in the team last season and he'd have struggled badly.

I remain to be convinced by Gueye, tbh. He didn't even register as a cut above in that woeful Villa team last season and I'm not expecting much from him here. Three games is absolutely nothing to judge a player on. Half a season under his belt and let's assess him then.
Didn't register in a villa side?

Neither would messi lad. Gana still managed to be second only to kante in the DM stats and he was the best midfielder in the league

Read it mate, thought it was a load of nonsense, culminating in the part where you compare the goalscoring stats of Kante, McCarthy and Gueye.

He's making the point that its a ridiculous comparison, however people complained that Mcarthy wasn't scoring enough or contributing enough going forward. On the other hand Kante and Gana are lorded for having great defensive records but both have equally low attacking stats which go unmentioned.

He's making the point that its a ridiculous comparison, however people complained that Mcarthy wasn't scoring enough or contributing enough going forward. On the other hand Kante and Gana are lorded for having great defensive records but both have equally low attacking stats which go unmentioned.
But just by watching them you see it's like night and day with McCarthy when it comes to being in possession, they're much more positive

Who are all of these people who are apparently expecting Kante and Gana to score loads of goals? No one is doing that.

The problem isn't goals per se, if there is a criticism of McCarthy its that his game is rather limited, Kante and Gana will pass forward whereas McCarthy, for several seasons, seems to be happy to pass sideways and also goes missing for long spells and doesn't dominate the midfield like Kante/Gana.

Peter Reid scored 8 goals in 159 appearances.

He joked that he got a nose bleed if he went too far forward.

I suppose he would be regarded as a crab by some on here. Give me strength!!

Didn't register in a villa side?

Neither would messi lad. Gana still managed to be second only to kante in the DM stats and he was the best midfielder in the league
He's Kante-lite at best.

Get's a big helping hand from the way the team now plays, which is a bit more huff and puff than the past few years of ball to feet play. Gueye, McCarthy or any other hard working CM are always going to benefit from a team that looks to play a more ugly, grafting type of game.

He's Kante-lite at best.

Get's a big helping hand from the way the team now plays, which is a bit more huff and puff than the past few years of ball to feet play. Gueye, McCarthy or any other hard working CM are always going to benefit from a team that looks to play a more ugly, grafting type of game.
lol

He had them stats while at villa, not exactly relying on how a team plays

Sorry , but comparing Reid to McCarthy? Not having that McCarthy ain't fit to lace Reids boots. He's a decent squad player. There are at least two players I would pick ahead of him in Besic (if he can ever get fit) and Gana. To be honest I'd place Davies ahead of him.

Personally I'm glad he stayed, his form recently has been poor but I have no doubt with Koemans guidance he'll be a valuable squad player.

But just by watching them you see it's like night and day with McCarthy when it comes to being in possession, they're much more positive

Not disagreeing, I was , more pointing out that the other post was being taken wrong. That said Mcarthy really was great in his first season defensively and come January he will have a part to play. Here's hoping Koeman's coaching style has a decent impact on him.

Who are all of these people who are apparently expecting Kante and Gana to score loads of goals? No one is doing that.

The problem isn't goals per se, if there is a criticism of McCarthy its that his game is rather limited, Kante and Gana will pass forward whereas McCarthy, for several seasons, seems to be happy to pass sideways and also goes missing for long spells and doesn't dominate the midfield like Kante/Gana.

No one is expecting them to score. He was raising the point that Mcarthy has been criticised for that widely. That might not be your main criticism but it's certainly been used by others (it get's mentioned by commentators every time he plays for Ireland).

Status
Not open for further replies.