Jags Still Captain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see enough off the pitch to say properly but from what I seen on the pitch Coleman, Rooney or Schniederlin.

Still no idea like.

Not that arsed. None of the options feel 100% perfect as I'm not thrilled on giving it back to a returning player without him earning it a bit and Jagielka is a meh captain. Just a piece of cloth at the end of the day.

You really believe beingcaptain of a professional football team means nothing more than a piece of cloth ?
Funny

...from pictures it already appears Koeman seeks Rooney's counsel. Lots of shots of them talking together and I suspect he's the player RK particularly wanted to bounce views off.

I disagree. I think the captain should be a natural leader and be able to cope in all kinds of situations. I think Jagielka is an alright captain but he's never properly convinced me. In interviews he frequently uses phrases like:
"Hopefully we can get the win"
"It'd be nice to get the 3 points"
"[insert any away ground in league]... is always a tough place to go" etc.

They're not the words you want to hear from a team vying for trophies and Champions League positions. I think Rooney would be a better captain but that's not necessarily saying he should get the armband. Maybe it would be a good idea to keep it with Jagielka this year and see who emerges as the stand out candidate to take over next season.

It's great that we've signed Man United's, Ajax's and Burnley's captains. I think we've lacked strong leadership in the past. Like you say we need captains all over the pitch and this transfer window has been a great start in that regard.

Heaton was and is burnleys captain.

And i disagree with you bud, england have the same problem with the captains armband, they put an importance on it and usually an unessasary pressure. You look at the succesful international teams about, italy, germany etc. They just give it to the most capped player.

Look at chelsea last year, terry barely played so they just gave it to cahill, did them no harm. Spurs just gave theres to lloris whos in goal, how much can he do from between the sticks? Chelsea and spurs were the 2 most succesful teams last season.

Do you think ashley williams (a proper leader) is going to act any different with a captains arm band? Nope. If you gave it to rooney its just that added bit of pressure on him.

Just leave jags as captain as he is a very good captain off the pitch, and if he isnt playing just give it to the most senior player

Coleman club captain even though injured. Class from the club with class in Liverpool.

Match day captains can be whoever until he is back. Plenty to choose from. Barry, Williams, Baines, Rooney too of course.

Rooney being made club captain right after coming in to me just smacks of a lower league club signing a faded for international big name player. We're better than that.

Match day captains should be people who are going to be involved in matches mate

It's nice that we now have:
Welsh national captain
Irish national captain
Ex Ajax captain
Ex Man Utd and England captain
Ex Man City title winning captain
all amongst our ranks now. Jags has also captained England once if I recall too.

Yeah Seamus for me.
Carrick just been named Man Utd captain ....he's not exactly an automatic starter.

Yea, I thought Carrick was an odd choice, but he probably got it on seniority.
As it stands, unless we sign another centre half and Jags leaves, then he'll probably remain as captain though.

Status
Not open for further replies.