Jags Still Captain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a poll still going at https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/who-should-be-our-next-captain-for-2017-18.94563/page-10 about who should be captain next season, but that was before Rooney joined.

It's a tough call mate, because I don't see either Jags or Rooney being automatic choices for the first eleven, and I've always liked the idea of the skipper being on the pitch if he's fit. If he wasn't crocked at the moment, I'd chuck the armband in Seamus' direction.
Yeah Seamus for me.
Carrick just been named Man Utd captain ....he's not exactly an automatic starter.

I find it hilarious when fans think they know who's a good captain and who's not from spectating from the stands/tv. Tbh I think Koeman/the players know better. If Jags was as terrible as people say he wouldn't be captain.

Fair point, but as fans what we see on the pitch is pretty much all we have to go on.

Rooney is the man. Jags has never been a captain who can get in a refs ear, let alone cajole the team to up their game. Don't mess around, give it to Wayne......

Not that arsed. None of the options feel 100% perfect as I'm not thrilled on giving it back to a returning player without him earning it a bit and Jagielka is a meh captain. Just a piece of cloth at the end of the day.
I disagree. I think the captain should be a natural leader and be able to cope in all kinds of situations. I think Jagielka is an alright captain but he's never properly convinced me. In interviews he frequently uses phrases like:
"Hopefully we can get the win"
"It'd be nice to get the 3 points"
"[insert any away ground in league]... is always a tough place to go" etc.

They're not the words you want to hear from a team vying for trophies and Champions League positions. I think Rooney would be a better captain but that's not necessarily saying he should get the armband. Maybe it would be a good idea to keep it with Jagielka this year and see who emerges as the stand out candidate to take over next season.
Should have captains all over the pitch, proper leaders lead wether they have an armband or not
It's great that we've signed Man United's, Ajax's and Burnley's captains. I think we've lacked strong leadership in the past. Like you say we need captains all over the pitch and this transfer window has been a great start in that regard.

Naismith would of been a better captain, least he pipped up, Jags was weak and shied away, IE West Ham, love Jags as a player but we have better options now for the arm band

If we had a poll of worst captains ever he'd win in a landslide. I swear Moyes making him captain just before he left was an absolute piss take.

Status
Not open for further replies.