Is Goodison no longer a fortress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now when we had Phil and Jack in centre mid, that was fun.
Week after week, pints of bleach consumed when the team was announced.

But we were solid-ish. :celebrate:

Football has changed. There are no fortresses anymore, now we have clubs who can buy success. Look at Man City, they can buy one squad player for the yearly budget of Everton.
Bringing on youth, developing players is no longer the way to win trophies, you have to buy them now.
Yearly budget? So far this summer, their biggest signing is Hippy Crackhead, for £49m. We've spent around 1/10 of that.
We've never spent anything like £49m in one close season, so even if these 3 players rock up in the next 6 days we won't get near that amount.

Take your point though!

Crowds respond to moments on the field

If they see good football, a crunching tackle, a moment of bravery, decent goalkeeping/defending then it usually gets the crowd going
A few goals helps too

Without the anti-dart semi-circles behind the goals it's lost some of the implied danger it once had.
Speaking of which, Foxtel here in Oz are showing old WC matches and I watched the 1966 WC Portugal - Brazil game last week.

I spent a lot of it looking at Goodison and I noticed that the boy's pen had been shut down. Remind me, was that just for the WC matches
and it was re-opened later, or was that the end of it? Putting it another way, when was the boy's pen scrapped?

Er, I have a sentimental attachment to it and might have rubbed shoulders with Bill.

Speaking of which, Foxtel here in Oz are showing old WC matches and I watched the 1966 WC Portugal - Brazil game last week.

I spent a lot of it looking at Goodison and I noticed that the boy's pen had been shut down. Remind me, was that just for the WC matches
and it was re-opened later, or was that the end of it? Putting it another way, when was the boy's pen scrapped?

Er, I have a sentimental attachment to it and might have rubbed shoulders with Bill.

76 or 77 I think?

I would like it revived in a new format for all the scals on the concourses at the aways and in the pubs to get together in the ground to carry the atmosphere from out the ground to inside it.

Status
Not open for further replies.