Is Goodison no longer a fortress?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is evidently knee jerk.

However, one thing i will say is that under Moyes, teams would fear coming here, however, under Martinez, it's a different scenario. Whilst i'm happy we've moved on from Moyes, at least he never played centre halves at left back, and forwards on the wing and left his best players on the bench.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Kept the same team, changed the system. City are excellent, and he just got it all wrong today.

In terms of being more confident of going away from home and winning, it's because every single fan is in the same mindset. Bad atmosphere, and a less than impressive style of play makes it more of a chore going to the match, as opposed to going to support the team.

Last season was a right off, I still think we'll be strong, but today was pathetic.

Are we talking about the same moyes who played lescott (a cb) at lb over Baines, clogged the midfield with Neville and heitinga, stuck Steve Watson up front and regularly played with no strikers?

Are we talking about the same moyes who played lescott (a cb) at lb over Baines, clogged the midfield with Neville and heitinga, stuck Steve Watson up front and regularly played with no strikers?

Lescott was actually brilliant at full back that season and I'd be amazed if you could find one example of Steve Watson playing up front under Moyes because that was Smith era.

Football has changed. There are no fortresses anymore, now we have clubs who can buy success. Look at Man City, they can buy one squad player for the yearly budget of Everton.
Bringing on youth, developing players is no longer the way to win trophies, you have to buy them now.

Jesus christ, Man City beat us. No amount of moats and turrets will keep Silva out on his day.
Get with the narrative man! We used to have a fortress built by our wily Scottish blood 'n thunder until this Spanish charlatan arrived and dismantled it. This narrative is impervious to the mere details of lack of investment by an incompetent boards over several years, the vagaries of injuries, the presence of clubs that outspend us by extraordinary amounts, and bad luck. It has the mythic character of the Fall: EFC lived in a Fortress (read paradise) and then Roberto came and brought home defeat (read sin) into the world.

Get with the narrative man! We used to have a fortress built by our wily Scottish blood 'n thunder until this Spanish charlatan arrived and dismantled it. This narrative is impervious to the mere details of lack of investment by an incompetent boards over several years, the vagaries of injuries, the presence of clubs that outspend us by extraordinary amounts, and bad luck. It has the mythic character of the Fall: EFC lived in a Fortress (read paradise) and then Roberto came and brought home defeat (read sin) into the world.

Ah, I see! Well I, for one, can't believe we were beaten by a team worth 500 squidjillion pounds on our home soil. Especially since we were undefeated at Goodison before this game.

Every team has a blip or two. City lost to Stoke and Norwich in recent seasons. Chelsea got beat by Sunderland and QPR. Arsenal lost to West Ham already this season. Clearly OT isn't a place to be feared anymore. In fact aside from some spells for Chelsea under Mourinho, it's really quite rare for a team to go unbeaten at home during a season.

I know we went close to going a calendar year unbeaten at home (in 2012 I think), but that day is gone.

I'm never convinced we can comfortably win any match at home. Even against a minnow in a cup game we generally concede a goal. We used to up our game for the bigger matches, but that same fighting spirit/dogs of war attitude doesn't apply to Roberto.

Could you share with the rest of us? I suspect it's not that different than it was under Moyes. We would always have the odd one game where someone who shouldn't beat us turned us over at Goodison, even under Moyes.

edit:
2008/09 - beat by Blackburn at Goodison on opening day, and lost 0-3 against Portsmouth in our next home game
2009/10 - we lost 6-1 to Arsenal at home on the opening day, had a stretch of 8 home games without a win
2010/11 - We lost to Newcastle, Reading, and West Brom at home, though we did manage to beat City, Chelsea, and Liverpool at Goodison
2011/12- Lost against QPR on the opening day, also lost to Stoke

Goodison is still a place teams don't like to play, the odd poor result doesn't change that.
the record last season was won 7 drawn 7 lost 5, currently drawn 1 lost one, dont blame it all on him he needs backing, has a lot of older players that are coming to the end and he is still learning the game.
If he gets a decent player or two/three in we might have a decent season if not the pressure will mount on him
hard fixtures coming up and he needs a hand from the board.

I quite like this design
upload_2015-8-24_6-50-4.jpeg

Make it happen Billy Boy.

:rant:
Thought the crowd were great today tbh. Feel like that makes a place more,likely to be a fortress. Got beat by a better side today, not sure any reputation for GP being a hard place would have made that much of a difference.

Where's the Fortress Sports Fund Money, Bill?
City fans were great, couldn't hear ours!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.