Is being a First Team Coach actually that difficult?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orly

Please check with me for Blammo criteria
Good afternoon mein frandelinos.

And so, at time of writing (3pm UK) Marco Silva has still not been sacked. Or done the honourable thing and resigned.

But I looked at that team yesterday - as did many others - at 2pm when the sheets were published and thought "Silva actually doesn't understand football". He compounded this by complaining about a lack of pace after the game, having selected Schneiderlin, Tosun, Gylfi and Davies, all four fully paid up members of the Slug Society.

Now in the old days, a manager did so much more than just pick the team and shout from the touchline. They had to negotiate the deals with players and agents, organise the youth teams, probably even arrange the frandlies in pre-season.

But now, the first team coach - as Marco is - only has one priority. Try and get as close to a measly 45% win ratio as possible. You can employ top medical professionals to do the fitness work. You could hire a legion of data analysts to tell you that Keane is utter plums and Pickford has the attention span of clotted mince. All YOU as first team coach has to do is put out a side. You can even nick your entire formation from the previous manager, like EVERYONE WHO HAS FOLLOWED MOYES has done. 4 at the back, two slugs, two wingers-but-not-really, and one lonely very untalented striker upfront supported by a attacking mid. Or you could mix it up a bit. Risky, but you could.

Which brings me to my question. Is being a first team coach as impossible looking as Marco Silva has made it at his last three clubs and could YOU do better?

Me too.

It's a out working with what you have. Round pegs in round holes, balance on the team and keep the ball fast and simple.

And so, at time of writing (3pm UK) Marco Silva has still not been sacked. Or done the honourable thing and resigned.

But I looked at that team yesterday - as did many others - at 2pm when the sheets were published and thought "Silva actually doesn't understand football". He compounded this by complaining about a lack of pace after the game, having selected Schneiderlin, Tosun, Gylfi and Davies, all four fully paid up members of the Slug Society.

Now in the old days, a manager did so much more than just pick the team and shout from the touchline. They had to negotiate the deals with players and agents, organise the youth teams, probably even arrange the frandlies in pre-season.

But now, the first team coach - as Marco is - only has one priority. Try and get as close to a measly 45% win ratio as possible. You can employ top medical professionals to do the fitness work. You could hire a legion of data analysts to tell you that Keane is utter plums and Pickford has the attention span of clotted mince. All YOU as first team coach has to do is put out a side. You can even nick your entire formation from the previous manager, like EVERYONE WHO HAS FOLLOWED MOYES has done. 4 at the back, two slugs, two wingers-but-not-really, and one lonely very untalented striker upfront supported by a attacking mid. Or you could mix it up a bit. Risky, but you could.

Which brings me to my question. Is being a first team coach as impossible looking as Marco Silva has made it at his last three clubs and could YOU do better?

Who cares if i could or not?

Id make millions in beautiful failure in the end...

I'd be all right at it. I'd get the defenders to defend and get to know each other. Get some fast ones up front and a couple of ball launchers in the middle. I'd even grow a tramp beard and speak with a Germanic accent and we too could be top of the league

I would fine players a weeks wages for not taking advantage of every second on the clock. So this would hit our regular culprits who don’t bother legging it to take a corner or throw when we are trying to get back into a game or are running out of time to get the win. and stupidity like celebrating for a minute a late equalizer against spurs when every single fan is screaming for them to get back in place and go for the winner......

aggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

been driving me crazy for some time

so what I’m saying is I’d do some back to basics routine on them and would probably use violence too

we would never concede another goal or lose a game or I’d be sackedwithin a fortnight

I'd be all right at it. I'd get the defenders to defend and get to know each other. Get some fast ones up front and a couple of ball launchers in the middle. I'd even grow a tramp beard and speak with a Germanic accent and we too could be top of the league

the teeth, don’t forget the teeth..

No it isn't, your job is mostly on the training pitch and on matchday. What we need is someone with a proven record of doing it. You are right in that the job has never been clearer it's on the pitch and results, that's what a coach is judged on now considering signings are usually by committee. What you need is organisation skills, leadership and to inspire, whilst being tactically astute and making the right changes when required. Marco fails on all facets.That he has reverted back to a losing formula shows a man terrified for his job and scared of taking a risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.