Injury spike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a squad game. The league is usually won by the side with the best squad. This is where Everton fans often get carried away. Our first XI is competitive, but we have little to no reserve. We win a few games with our best XI and people are tipping us for great things - but we should be measuring ourselves by our weakest links. How many do we have (even in our first XI) compared to those around us? How many weak links do we have out of 22? I'd argue we have plenty in our first XI, so we badly need to strengthen to seriously challenge.

The club can say otherwise, and maybe Carlo will too (because he is a good manager and knows how to man manage), but the current squad is not good enough for the possibilities currently presented. What a pity that Moshiri sprayed money around mindlessly when we were dreadful only to starve the superstar manager who has taken the club to the verge of title contention just when it was possible for us to break our self-imposed glass ceiling. I still think we'll strengthen in some way. I just don't see the logic of, first, hiring a man like Carlo Ancelotti and not backing him, and second, wasting what could be a once-in-an-era opportunity that has levelled the playing field temporarily.

That said, if Carlo gets us into the Europa League, we're making excellent progress. It's just that the Champions League, if not quite the title right now, is currently tantalisingly close for a club with serious ambition.
Liverpool played last season and hardly rotated their front 3 and 4 out of 5 defenders. That amounts to 7 out 11 and then Henderson, Formino and winaldom played the bulk of their midfield so if you get lucky you don’t have to rotate too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.