Increase in money = less debt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Milks - That's what I thought our current situation would be, and I think the £15m we got for Rodwell saw £3m go straight on the interest etc and got leaked as £12m so we were 'none the wiser'. I think the wise move would be to do just that. Taking £10m say, off the overall debt would be great, and would lead to less interest and swimming against the tide as you rightly put it.

Goat - I'm in the same boat mate, numbers have never been my speciality. But the simple of equation of how much we've received vs how much we've spent must surely see us clear something, agreed there.

This article goes into further explanation of how the money affects the Premier League.

http://www.sportingintelligence.com...ng-where-the-money-goes-and-what-next-190601/

Basically, Everton earned about £49 million from the TV rights in 2011-2012. With the new TV contract, if everything stayed the same, we would earn about £70 million. However, the overseas TV contracts are also expected to rise considerably. Some are guessing a 30% increase whereas others are thinking it could rise as much as 100%. If we stay fairly conservative and say overseas contracts will rise by 50%, that would make our new earnings about £79 million.

That would be a total increase of around £30 million. That's pretty substantial.

Unfortunately, as others have mentioned, wages and transfer fees will take up the slack fairly quickly. Everton may be able to utilize this money better than other clubs. It's hard to say. We would certainly have the option to lower our debt in the short term but, in the long term, we'll likely be back to the situation we are at now.

The one thing you can really say is that the Premier League will be the richest league in the world. This should help in the Champions and Europa Leagues.

When Everton no longer behold to the banks debt will be when we get new investment and for the BK to move on if he wishes. The sad fact is it's all a balancing act. We need players in our paper thin squad and this is necessary to keep me and many fans happy with hope we can compete week in and week out with the mega rich clubs. If in truth our debt is being retired then that is a great thing for the future of this club. It's just not the sexiest way to allocate the money but there you are.

Some other effects:

Higher wages in Premier League should lead to more quality players from abroad wanting to play here.

The increase in the quality of PL team players should PL teams do better in Europe.

The increase in foreign players playing here is likely to mean less opportunitities for English players to get top level games here, so our national team may suffer again.

You have to look at things on a wider scale as we're in a competition where spending on wages largely speaking determines where you finish in the league.

With the tv money we don't really gain anything in relation to the other clubs, therefore are no better off. We might be better off in relation to foreign clubs in that we can now pay higher fees/wages than clubs without such a tv windfall, but in relation to other PL clubs we're no better off than before.

If we want to do that then we need to increase revenue in areas that are unique to us, such as gate revenue, merchandising and so on.

You have to look at things on a wider scale as we're in a competition where spending on wages largely speaking determines where you finish in the league.

With the tv money we don't really gain anything in relation to the other clubs, therefore are no better off. We might be better off in relation to foreign clubs in that we can now pay higher fees/wages than clubs without such a tv windfall, but in relation to other PL clubs we're no better off than before.

If we want to do that then we need to increase revenue in areas that are unique to us, such as gate revenue, merchandising and so on.

Agreed.

Id use the 15mill to pay off what ever debts i could, im sure we'd get at least 2yrs worth before agents and clubs etc start asking for more.. so thats 30mill surely 30mill off our debt (leaving us around 15millin the red) would make us more desirable to any potiential buyers?? Thats not to mention bellefield money and whatever else we've profitted this season from players sales and income

With the TV money you will see more overseas players in our squad due to the divergence in purhasing power. The next few years the Premier League will have a huge advantage over the Italian, Spanish and Greek leagues just because of all the economies of scale in the financial marketplace.

and when the bubble bursts and companies decide they won't / can't afford to pay so much for the TV right then everyone is screwed. Get teh debts paid off, pay players a reasonable figure and don't pay stupid transfer fees. I'd love to see a salary cap introduced

BourneBlue was saying yesterday that the debts were cleared. I questioned him on this but there was no reply.

Nah i seriously doubt it.... if that was true im sure we'd off seen much more activity in transfer market with a better calibre of names mentioned. i cant see how we have paid off nearlly 50mill in debt

With the TV money you will see more overseas players in our squad due to the divergence in purhasing power. The next few years the Premier League will have a huge advantage over the Italian, Spanish and Greek leagues just because of all the economies of scale in the financial marketplace.

bang goes any chance of our National team doing anything in the next decade or so then

Nah i seriously doubt it.... if that was true im sure we'd off seen much more activity in transfer market with a better calibre of names mentioned. i cant see how we have paid off nearlly 50mill in debt

That doesn't make any sense though. If they had used all their cash to pay off debt, they'd have nothing left to buy players with.

The second part, yes very doubtful we've paid of 50 million in debt. Perhaps re-financed some?

Status
Not open for further replies.