If you were Everton manager right now, what would you do next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd go 4-1-3-2

Pickford
Kenny - Keane - Holgate - Baines
Gana
Davies - Rooney - Sigurdsson
Sandro - Mirallas​

Bench is Stek, Cuco, Jags, Schneiderlin, Klaassen, Lookman, DCL.

Easy to switch between this, a 4-3-3 and a diamond midfield as the in-game situations demand. Tell Kenny and Baines to defend first and foremost - there are plenty of players in front of them who are capable ball-carriers so just give them the ball rather than trying to move forward and create from the fullback positions. The removal of Williams AND Jags from the starting lineup allows the back four to play a higher line. We don't need two defensive midfielders, especially when one of them (Schneiderlin) doesn't currently bother tracking runners. Sandro and Mirallas give us pace up front, which should help to force opponents to play deeper back lines - this in turn should allow Davies, Rooney and Sigurdsson more space and fewer opposing players in close proximity to them. Davies and Sigurdsson can drop back either side of Gana to help when needed.

Pick the same lineup for Sunderland, Bournemouth, Limassol and Burnley. Yes it's four games in eleven days, but we really should be looking to have two of them (Sunderland and Limassol) done and dusted at half-time, and using our substitutes to rest key players. And after the Burnley fixture there's a two-week break. one thing that has definitely nOT helped us recently is the constant chopping and changing of personnel.
Can we have you as manager please.

Play Calvert-Lewin - who is our only centre forward, and a world cup winner - at centre forward.

Play Holgate - who is a centre half and a regular first-teamer - at centre half.

Play Kenny - who is an overlapping, world cup-winning right back - at right back.

Play Lookman - who is a world cup-winning winger - as a winger, to give us width and pace.

Stop Baines being prematurely marginalised by playing someone capable of forming a partnership with him on the left side.

Stop playing two defensive midfielders in every game.

Play Davies in every game (in combination with the above).

Play Sigurdsson - our most expensive player - in the number 10 position.

Play Sandro - who is clearly not a target man, but a play-off-the-target-man forward - alongside Calvert-Lewin.

So something like this in a 4-4-2:

Pickford
Kenny Keane Holgate Baines
Lookman Davies Schneiderlin Sigurdsson
Calvert-Lewin Sandro (or Mirallas)

Use Rooney and Klaassen as impact substitutes.

And one final (and possibly controversial thought for some): instead of Sandro up front, give the second striker role to Mirallas. I have never believed he is a winger, in a 'get wide and cross it' role. But he does know where the goal is and is possibly the best finisher we have when he gets an opportunity in the box.

Oh, and get rid of Koeman ASAP. He hasn't got a clue.

Play Calvert-Lewin - who is our only centre forward, and a world cup winner - at centre forward.

Play Holgate - who is a centre half and a regular first-teamer - at centre half.

Play Kenny - who is an overlapping, world cup-winning right back - at right back.

Play Lookman - who is a world cup-winning winger - as a winger, to give us width and pace.

Stop Baines being prematurely marginalised by playing someone capable of forming a partnership with him on the left side.

Stop playing two defensive midfielders in every game.

Play Davies in every game (in combination with the above).

Play Sigurdsson - our most expensive player - in the number 10 position.

Play Sandro - who is clearly not a target man, but a play-off-the-target-man forward - alongside Calvert-Lewin.

So something like this in a 4-4-2:

Pickford
Kenny Keane Holgate Baines
Lookman Davies Schneiderlin Sigurdsson
Calvert-Lewin Sandro (or Mirallas)

Use Rooney and Klaassen as impact substitutes.

And one final (and possibly controversial thought for some): instead of Sandro up front, give the second striker role to Mirallas. I have never believed he is a winger, in a 'get wide and cross it' role. But he does know where the goal is and is possibly the best finisher we have when he gets an opportunity in the box.

Oh, and get rid of Koeman ASAP. He hasn't got a clue.

You have said play Sigurdsson in the number 10 position and then put him left wing?

BOOTH OUT!

You have said play Sigurdsson in the number 10 position and then put him left wing?

BOOTH OUT!

Haha: good point Papa: but I'd push Davies out onto the left side as his energy, aptitude and adaptability would make him a great partner for Baines?

Then allow Sigurdsson to pull the strings behind the front two.

I'd go 4-1-3-2

Pickford
Kenny - Keane - Holgate - Baines
Gana
Davies - Rooney - Sigurdsson
Sandro - Mirallas​

Tree13: interesting to see the similarities between your team and mine - and the inclusion of Mirallas too...

Fancy teaming up and sending a joint CV to Moshiri: I'll happily settle for the DoF role and leave you to take the flak as manager!

I'd play the same team as much as possible for the next four matches and switch it back to a 4-2-3-1.

Pickford
Holgate Keane Jagielka Baines
Davies Gana
Lookman Rooney Sigurddson
Ramirez​

Holgate in for more solidity at right back, told to be conservative, allowing Lookman to bomb forwards and take on men. Baines told to get forwards as we will have three at the back and Gana to cover.

Forming a first choice centre half partnership and allowing some solidity to build with Pickford. I'd go with Keane and our captain Jagielka. Williams benched.

Schneiderlin dropped for being rubbish thus far. Davies brought in for more energy and forward thinking support from midfield.

Rooney is our talisman and has done well, he stays. Sigurddson given matches to get up to speed.

Ramirez given a chance to bed in as our forward but rotated with Calvert-Lewin if not working.

lineup.png

Interesting question seeing as most of our problems come from an unsuccessful transfer window. Not much anyone could do about it now.

The only thing that comes to mind is recalling Brendan Galloway from loan (unsure if this is possible; anyone?)
Of course I would love to recall Onyekuru but this is not possible.

But ok now I may consider putting out a "strong" team for Wednesday. On paper we could definitely be humiliated. Anyone know if Galloway is cup tied against us or can we expect him to score/celebrate on us, too?

Status
Not open for further replies.