If you could have a drink with any Everton player...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a drink with Andy Gray in 1987 and he was brilliant company.
I was in my first job after graduating and was at a Company conference in Bournemouth which had a sporting theme throughout the day. In the evening, a group of “sporting legends” joined us for dinner…Andy Gray was one of them.
He was on the next table to me and I was sat next to David Wilkie the Olympic gold medallist…unbelievable!
After dinner I made a beeline for Andy and introduced myself and we had a chat about Everton and some of his games…he had a forensic memory of nearly every incident that occurred but he always said he could not have done it without his teammates.
I told him that we were gutted when we sold him and instead we should have signed him for life.
I asked him to autograph one of the menu cards(I was pretty bevvied by this point) and he wrote “ To Ian, Chairman of the sign him for life club, All the best, Andy Gray”. I think it’s still in a box in my attic.
As a post script, one of the other sporting legends attending was Suzanne Dando and once Andy had shaken off my attentions he hotfooted it to her!!

I was in my first job after graduating and was at a Company conference in Bournemouth which had a sporting theme throughout the day. In the evening, a group of “sporting legends” joined us for dinner…Andy Gray was one of them.
He was on the next table to me and I was sat next to David Wilkie the Olympic gold medallist…unbelievable!
After dinner I made a beeline for Andy and introduced myself and we had a chat about Everton and some of his games…he had a forensic memory of nearly every incident that occurred but he always said he could not have done it without his teammates.
I told him that we were gutted when we sold him and instead we should have signed him for life.
I asked him to autograph one of the menu cards(I was pretty bevvied by this point) and he wrote “ To Ian, Chairman of the sign him for life club, All the best, Andy Gray”. I think it’s still in a box in my attic.
As a post script, one of the other sporting legends attending was Suzanne Dando and once Andy had shaken off my attentions he hotfooted it to her!!
That's brill. What a nice chap.

Suzanne Dando? Andy had good taste😁

I’d like to have a drink with Andy King, my fave player as a kid. Left us way too early.

Met him in the White Horse in Woolton Top Top lad.
That weekend my mate had his wedding reception in the Redbourne , I was at another wedding . He met all the lads in the bar ( as we all do at weddings ) bought Champagne & a drink for everyone.

Real gent and a good character.
I met Neville Southall in the White Horse. Sometimes had a drink with Adrian Heath in the Halfway House on Woolton Road as well. Good memories ;)

I had drinks with Hugh Cornwell, Dave Vanian, Shane Mc Gowan ( plus three homeless guys at an Ian McCulloch gig), Lemmy, Jimmy Pursey (in Feltham pub).

Never had a drink with an Everton player🙁

Joe Royle.

I met Dave Hickson and shook his hand whilst standing outside the Winslow with a pint in my hand hours after we beat the RS 3-0 in the Andy Johnson derby. He looked into the Winslow, and you could tell that he wanted to go in, but he had second thoughts and walked off towards the Park End.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.