2018/19 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gueye would have made little difference. We were beaten by better players.
Beg to differ mate.
If Calvert Lewin's goal isnt wrongly disallowed and Richarlison buries that header we would have been in a very strong position for Gana to just sit in front of the centre backs , break up play and still be able to counter attack.
Massive miss for us today and the manager should have adjusted his tactics accordingly.

People can talk about the "eye test", his inability to spray the ball around the field like Xavi and Iniesta, and his inability to make late runs into the box and score 15 goals a season like Lampard...

However, the facts are this:
- Gueye has played 15 games this season, in those 15 games Everton have 23 points, 22 goals scored and 18 goals conceded.
- Gueye has not played 3 games this season, in those 3 games Everton have 1 point, 4 goals scored and 10 goals conceded. Two of those 3 games were at home as well.

All pure coincidence though, I'm sure.

People can talk about the "eye test", his inability to spray the ball around the field like Xavi and Iniesta, and his inability to make late runs into the box and score 15 goals a season like Lampard...

However, the facts are this:
- Gueye has played 15 games this season, in those 15 games Everton have 23 points, 22 goals scored and 18 goals conceded.
- Gueye has not played 3 games this season, in those 3 games Everton have 1 point, 4 goals scored and 10 goals conceded. Two of those 3 games were at home as well.

All pure coincidence though, I'm sure.

2 of those games and 9 of those goals were against City away and Spurs today.

And the 15 games he has played, included Wolves and Bournemouth away, and West Ham, Crystal Palace, Brighton, Crystal Palace, Cardiff, Newcastle and Watford at Home. In those 9 games we got 16 points. Hardly brilliant is it?

We have been poor with and without him. The unfortunate coincidence is that we've played top teams when he hasn't played so it has looked much worse.

I think we need another player of his standard to compete with him. But there is no question we miss him badly if he's out. I for one hope he's back this week.

Spurs were dreadful without a DM werent they?

Oh...wait lol

The fact is that we need far better players in the centre and right hand side.

The last 2 games have highlighted exactly what Gana gives us, and that is protection in front of our back 4. That is why he is such a good player in that role and why he is vital to us doing well this season.

It's clear he has his weaknesses, the quality of his passing being one of them, and definitely needs to improve it but his ability in closing down, intercepting, and protecting our defence is up there with the best in the league.

The fact we've conceded 9 goals in 2 games with him not there speaks volumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.