2018/19 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think he gets a pass because he gets about , often forgotten (I found this thread on page 6)

Needs to be replaced imo. I like him but he simply does not pass forwards and it makes us very stagnant in midfield.

Yes he gets about , but a good midfielder does both. If he had the eye for a pass then he would be great but he needs to do more.

Think a partnership of Gana and Gomez could really work. Gana doing the dirty work of getting the ball back and Gomez with the guile and skill to pick a pass. Here's hoping anyway

Think he gets a pass because he gets about , often forgotten (I found this thread on page 6)

Needs to be replaced imo. I like him but he simply does not pass forwards and it makes us very stagnant in midfield.

Yes he gets about , but a good midfielder does both. If he had the eye for a pass then he would be great but he needs to do more.

Yup his dirty work is great but in this day and age he defo should have some creativity with him, but he badly lacks it. Almost never pass the ball forward.

He didn't look as good as he normally does or how he's looked in preseason, but still one of our best players.

He was one of the few who looked to play a forward pass and seemed to want the ball. How many times did we have possession only to pass sideways and backwards until it eventually ended up with Pickford to give at a big punt upfield. Half of those went into touch and the other half ended up in an ariel duel for the ball. if you reckon that we win half of those (and retain possession from the successfully won header header - which is by no means guaranteed) then - from our own possession of the ball - we end up retaining possession 25% of the time. All of this without creating (or attempting to create) any chances. It's no surprise that we had no attempts on goal in the first half other than the one we scored.
Our possession and passing was poor (too many times we 'hacked it clear' to no one when there was time to pick out a pass) and without Gueye it would have been a lot worse.
PS - It's been mentioned on this forum before (and ridiculed) but how crap are we t keeping possession from our own throw ins? We throw it uo the line for someone to hopefully win a header and head it on further up the line to...…..well, the oppositions last defender basically. It's about time that we changed this tactic!

Gana was excellent yesterday (Morgan did ok too) he done exactly what he's paid to do , break up play and pass it , whether its forward sideways or backwards.It will be more noticeable when he has a creative player around him.Enter Andre Gomes.
Moutinho & Neves never got a sniff up against Gana & Morgan.

Status
Not open for further replies.