2018/19 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
We keep saying the same about Siggurdson. We’re carrying both of them in midfield because these mythical players they need around them never appear. They both apparently need a proper holding mid behind them, someone to distribute from deep, and a creative force next to them. These are the roles they should be doing! We make far too many excuses for them. Gueye is a big standard player with an ok engine who can get around a bit, that’s it. His passing range is woeful, he has zero guile, doesn’t turn up away from home, positionally inept, no game intelligence. A truly truly average player.

Perhaps some of our other problems might rectify themselves if we had a midfield better than championship standard.

We need a lot fixing, but we all know the weakest areas are centre back, defensive/centre mid and left back, so we need to address this now. We'll worry about the rest in Jan or next Summer.

We need a lot fixing, but we all know the weakest areas are centre back, defensive/centre mid and left back, so we need to address this now. We'll worry about the rest in Jan or next Summer.

Any defence would be under pressure behind this midfield. They’re one of the worst in the league with ease. Last season most teams were able to dominate us easily. Teams can just walk through straight otomiur back 4 with ease. We need new players there too but for all their limitations the lads at the back have even less of a chance when they look up and see Schneiderlin and Gueye standing there doing nothing in possession and nothingnoff the ball either.

I'd just make him our anchor if we can't get anyone else, drop Morgan he's a lazy ineffective luxury. At least Gana can protect and did it well before Morgan was bought.

Gana
Sig. Davies

Gana
Sig. New CM/Besic

We keep saying the same about Siggurdson. We’re carrying both of them in midfield because these mythical players they need around them never appear. They both apparently need a proper holding mid behind them, someone to distribute from deep, and a creative force next to them. These are the roles they should be doing! We make far too many excuses for them. Gueye is a big standard player with an ok engine who can get around a bit, that’s it. His passing range is woeful, he has zero guile, doesn’t turn up away from home, positionally inept, no game intelligence. A truly truly average player.

Perhaps some of our other problems might rectify themselves if we had a midfield better than championship standard.

100% agree. If either was half as good as people try and say they are, the midfield would already be there or thereabouts. The idea of needing 2 extra midfielders to play along side these too makes no sense. How many midfielders are we going to play?

It's funny as well, how these so called top quality players need the rest of the team to be better to get the best of them, along with Baines and Pickford. It's never their fault obviously. But the same doesn't apply to DCL, Niasse, Davies, Schneiderlin, Mori, Klassen, even Rooney, who all took the brunt of our criticism last year. Not that they dont have their flaws, but the idea that none of these players would've improved if they had better players around them, never seems to cross people's mind. Like a Goalkeeper who keeps hold of the ball, a mobile left back who doesn't check back every time he reaches the half way line, a disciplined defensive midfielder who knows when to go and when to stay and uses the ball quickly and efficiently, and a creative midfield player who tries to get on the ball and makes thing happen.

Personally, I haven't seen anything in Gueye yet to make me believe he is anything like a top player. As you rightly said, he's not great on the ball, and his positional sense is attrocious, and it's no coincidence that he has been part of 2 teams with dreadful defensive records. His entire reputation seems to built on the fact that he can run a lot.

Don’t think he can be an anchor type player who sits in front of the defence. He’s a good ball winning midfielder but is awful on the ball and chases the ball like a little kid

He is what he is, a low budget signing from an Aston Villa he helped delegate. For some reason our fans then thought he was a new Kante. He wouldn’t have looked out of place had he gone down with them.

Lay off of Gana. He is part of a dysfunctional midfield right now but at least he's making a decent fist. He's no Toni Kroos with his passing for sure, but if we ever have a two goal lead against a top team and want to stifle their midfield he's the man for the job.

I rate him highly, have done since he joined.

Was it his debut against Spurs a couple of years back at home, opening day?

He was exceptional & said to the guy next to me in the Park End, we’ve got a player here.

He’s high energy & I think Silva will want that.

Don’t think he can be an anchor type player who sits in front of the defence. He’s a good ball winning midfielder but is awful on the ball and chases the ball like a little kid
I'm not saying he is and he can be a bit headless at times but he might actually protect the back four. Morgan is in his way if you ask me. He's our best option unless Beni steps up/we buy a new DM.

I'm not saying he is and he can be a bit headless at times but he might actually protect the back four. Morgan is in his way if you ask me. He's our best option unless Beni steps up/we buy a new DM.
Think we buy a ball playing type this summer and keep Gana in there. Then replace him next summer.

Been saying for a while it's his lack of positional discipline that gets us in trouble. He goes chasing the ball in areas he shouldn't and if he doesn't win the ball he has left a hole in the middle that the opposition exploits. Seems some only see statistics and work rate.

Been saying for a while it's his lack of positional discipline that gets us in trouble. He goes chasing the ball in areas he shouldn't and if he doesn't win the ball he has left a hole in the middle that the opposition exploits. Seems some only see statistics and work rate.

Seems that his coaches are flailing then.

Status
Not open for further replies.