2018/19 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive accepted that we are going to have a high player turnover.

Things should settle down after this season.

Brands has his way of doing things, we have already got rid of 11 players, granted none of them will be missed and we are likely to sell another 10 or so, again, not many, Gana apart will be missed.

Maybe im doing that thing when people claim players are rubbish when they leave, but again, Gana is a superb player, I just dont think he will be missed as much as others think, hes central to how we play, but so was Walcott at 1 point, so was Jack Rodwell, you adapt, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. Lets see how this 1 turns out.
We will definitely adapt. It's just that this is the most any one loss could ask us to adapt and it feels like the wrong time for it to happen. But I've said a couple of times we shouldn't expect to compete this year and should be building longer term so it is a no brainer from that view. Get someone in that allows us the flexibility to also play 4-3-3 and start getting used to how Marco truly wants things.

He is a pure engine of a midfielder and hard to replace so easily but we bought him for £7m and he has become a £30/40m player.

He has been excellent and I don't want him to leave but PSG plus Champions League football is a very tempting offer additionally a final big payday so if he does want to leave, he deserves it.

We need goals so if his fee goes towards the best attack we can buy then so be it

Most people have spent all season saying the Gana, Gomes and Iceland axis of doom doesnt work.

So lets try something else.
But the detractors where proven wrong when the team clicked at the end.
However the weakest of the trio was Gomes. We a played as well , if not better , when he was suspended and Scheiderlin came into the side.
As the Americans are prone to say ‘Go figure’.

But the detractors where proven wrong when the team clicked at the end.
However the weakest of the trio was Gomes. We a played as well , if not better , when he was suspended and Scheiderlin came into the side.
As the Americans are prone to say ‘Go figure’.

No way, the good run of form started before gomes got suspended. West ham away probably the best for me

Well the last part I agree with. If the offer is really there he should be allowed to go.

But that midfield trying to shutdown counters is a terrifying thought. The problem is last year Gana did the job of him and Andre. Gomes was good at pressuring and winning the ball back but he struggled when teams broke and that showed massively when Gana was out. Can Delph cover that same way? I doubt it.

We only gain in attack if Delph is allowed to push on. Last year our midfielders weren't really pushing in very much and that to me felt more like the system than them not choosing too. Which is ultimate why I'd really want Gueye to stay. Because he was a key cog in a system that probably needs to be redone without him. So as I said orginally losing him impedes our progress at least initially.

The other thing is Marco claims we will be getting another CM if he goes. And that's great but we are starting to get to the area of huge squad turnover especially if Zouma isn't back and a different CB is signed. All of the changes push us closer to square one like the start of last year.

I don't buy this idea that he's key to how we play at all. He does what he is good at, which is mobility and energy. The role he plays is pretty much be where the ball is, and while noone can deny his stamina and and ability to get around the pitch, that can create its own problems.

If the rest of the team doesn't fill space he leaves, or press as fast and aggressively as he does, there's no balance. Think about a team of rowers. If 1 of the team can and does row faster than everyone else, then no matter what numbers he puts up, that boat is going nowhere fast.

People talk about him being this super DM. But honestly now, he's been in England for 4 years now, and while his personal stats have been outstanding, he hasn't been part of any side that has been anything more than average and inconsistent. Whether that's his fault, or the other players, or the managers, etc, is up for debate, but we're not selling someone who has made us better in the time he's been here. He is a decent, hard working, energetic player, and seems like a nice bloke. I wish him well, but I will be extremely disappointed if we can't improve without him, and for the money being quoted, we would be absolute fools to turn it down. We have sold much better players than him for much less.

I don't buy this idea that he's key to how we play at all. He does what he is good at, which is mobility and energy. The role he plays is pretty much be where the ball is, and while noone can deny his stamina and and ability to get around the pitch, that can create its own problems.

If the rest of the team doesn't fill space he leaves, or press as fast and aggressively as he does, there's no balance. Think about a team of rowers. If 1 of the team can and does row faster than everyone else, then no matter what numbers he puts up, that boat is going nowhere fast.

People talk about him being this super DM. But honestly now, he's been in England for 4 years now, and while his personal stats have been outstanding, he hasn't been part of any side that has been anything more than average and inconsistent. Whether that's his fault, or the other players, or the managers, etc, is up for debate, but we're not selling someone who has made us better in the time he's been here. He is a decent, hard working, energetic player, and seems like a nice bloke. I wish him well, but I will be extremely disappointed if we can't improve without him, and for the money being quoted, we would be absolute fools to turn it down. We have sold much better players than him for much less.

He's so much more than 'decent'.

Look how good we were in the last 10 games. Look how excellent he was in each of those games.

The only one he had an off game in was Fulham. Surprise surprise, we were awful.

Our system - as it is currently - revolves around him.

If he does go, it's not the end of the world, obviously.

But, we will have to adapt our way of playing. That could be good. It could go badly wrong.

I just think it's a shame as we'd settled on a pretty good way of playing at the back end of last season and I'd like to see some continuity with that, rather than sell our best player (again).

If he does go, it's not the end of the world, obviously.

But, we will have to adapt our way of playing. That could be good. It could go badly wrong.

I just think it's a shame as we'd settled on a pretty good way of playing at the back end of last season and I'd like to see some continuity with that, rather than sell our best player (again).

Im really not a fan of keeping people when they want to leave, an extreme case but Lookman is the perfect example.

Of course Gana would probably accept it, but why not let the boy live his dream?

Im really not a fan of keeping people when they want to leave, an extreme case but Lookman is the perfect example.

Of course Gana would probably accept it, but why not let the boy live his dream?
If he stays, all well and good. If he goes, well from me its, sorry to see you go, good luck and thanks for your efforts.
Can't find a bad word to say about him tbh.
He gets to get one last big payday
We get 5X what we paid
PSG get to manage his post AFCON burn out

Far more often he covers the mistakes and holes left by others than others cover for him. I get what you're saying but football isn't rowing. Sometimes someone is just better at something.

He's on a big contract and is a key player for us. He's not gonna down tools - think he proved that in the last 6 months.

If he goes we need another player in and yeh, at least with Delph here it gives a bit of breathing room for Gana's replacement to develop. But I'm just sick of selling our best players just as it looks like we're on the verge of being able to push on and then wondering why we get nowhere.

Obviously a change in system/style isn't awful and could well be a good thing, but I just think it sets us back in the here and now, and it's not like Gana's suddenly gonna drop off a cliff.

I love him, one of my favourite players BUT, if he goes I think we would have to change our style for the better. We are unlikely to get someone with his defensive energy and would perhaps have to find an offensive alternative.

I'm a massive, massive fan and believe he's one of the best in world football at what he does.

However, it's time to let him go. The highest fee we'll get for him is this summer and I don't want a player going through the motions knowing his dream move has died for the remainder of his contract. Even if that is somewhat unlikely with Gana, he's still human - not moving now would mean accepting his career has plateaued.

It'll hurt our team in the short term but he's been a terrific player for us and deserves the chance to see what he can do in the Champions League.

If we don’t need to sell - if we do have USM money whenever needed - then keep him. What’s the point of “cashing in” to just waste another year - we should be convincing players to push on with us.

He's so much more than 'decent'.

Look how good we were in the last 10 games. Look how excellent he was in each of those games.

The only one he had an off game in was Fulham. Surprise surprise, we were awful.

Our system - as it is currently - revolves around him.

We need to change the system. I’ve thought it for a while. It’s too dependent on Gueye and Siggurdson. If either have a bad game the whole plan is out the window. The best teams in this league can sub in players to a system without any drop off in performance and it’s not because they have world class players on the bench. I don’t think the likes of Dier, Wanyama, Skipp, Milner, Keita, Gundogan are world class players but they slot into a system without the whole team falling apart.

We need to get to a similar stage where we can go into a game without fearing a 6-2 mauling any time Gueye isn’t playing or isn’t on top form.

Status
Not open for further replies.