2018/19 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he is mate.

But then I was convinced he was off in Jan.

I like the boy, hes a superb player at what he does, but I dont think hes irreplaceable personally and if anybody can, Brands can replace him.

Anything north of 35m is a decent price, even considering the market and the buying club, for me anyway.

Agree mate. Quality 2nd half of the season last season and I think we may have a gentleman's agreement that we would sell if a certain bid came in.

30 years old, chance to walk the league and play CL... fair play to him if he gets his dream move and we get top dollar.

Personally anything at 30m or over is good business for us and a great move for him

He stepped it up massively after PSGs interest in January. If we deny him his dream move for a second time we get completely disinterested Gueye who is an average defensive midfielder with limited passing range.
m8 come on, He's one of the best at his job quite easily but I do think we can replace him and still be fine.

Is it? Where?

On here, for a start. Other sources are available at all good book shops.

Also, I can remember being told to 'wait and see' when more than half of this forum were willing to sell Everton to those utterly jarg yanks that were rumoured to be buying Everton just before Moshiri bought his shares.

I'll concede that my vigorous objections to those clowns were needless in the end, as they didn't end up buying Everton. But the 'wait and see' happy clapping crowd were more than willing to sell our club to those gang of jokers. Probably the same people that voted to move the club out of Liverpool and into a car park in Kirkby.

And they will make themselves feel happy about selling Gueye if/when it happens, and grounding day repeats itself once again.

Please forgive me for my frustration with everyone laughing at West Ham, when we remain in the exact same bracket as them.

m8 come on, He's one of the best at his job quite easily but I do think we can replace him and still be fine.

He is when he’s motivated and on form. He’s also been present in midfields when we’ve had the absolute run around from dross teams. He was ever present in the debacle of 17/18. I’m not saying it was all his fault, of course not, I just don’t buy this view that he’s completely irreplaceable and one of the top defensive midfielders. I’ve seen him be very inconsistent for 3 seasons now apart from the last few months since PSG coincidentally expressed interest and we turned his move down.

I just don’t see a domesday scenario if we sell him.

On here, for a start. Other sources are available at all good book shops.

Also, I can remember being told to 'wait and see' when more than half of this forum were willing to sell Everton to those utterly jarg yanks that were rumoured to be buying Everton just before Moshiri bought his shares.

I'll concede that my vigorous objections to those clowns were needless in the end, as they didn't end up buying Everton. But the 'wait and see' happy clapping crowd were more than willing to sell our club to those gang of jokers. Probably the same people that voted to move the club out of Liverpool and into a car park in Kirkby.

And they will make themselves feel happy about selling Gueye if/when it happens, and grounding day repeats itself once again.

Please forgive me for my frustration with everyone laughing at West Ham, when we remain in the exact same bracket as them.

It’s been vaguely rumoured (by a horrible source) that PSG have made a bid. That’s it.

I think our definitions of outstanding might be different. In my eyes the second part of last season was the only time he’s been in anything like outstanding form.
Yours is just different to most others I think. A selection of comments on here from early last season, taken after games over a period of a couple of months.
He had 19 tackles the last two games. Think about that for a second. Pass % was 88%. He’s phenomenal.
Pheomanal against Fulham, thought it was his best game for the club.

Was superb even after taking an early yellow, and one he took for the team at that

And more importantly he also seemed to compliment Gomes really well
MOTM for me yesterday. Covered every blade of grass and won every tackle. Keeping the pressure on Palace second half. Him and Gomes look like a great pairing.
Thought his link up play and positioning matched his usual boss energy levels today, he won everything but was effective going forward too and you can't ask for much more than that.
He’s been boss this season. His level of fitness is outstanding too.
He's stepped up a level this year, like a few players. This is the best I've seen him. He's able to pass now, brilliant again today.
Silva has taken his game to a new level.
That’s you by the way.
I don’t really think it’s as simple as comparing midfield partnerships/trios; you have to look at the system they play in as well as the team around them. Vieira/Petit were so effective in part due to ability but also because they had a brilliant back 4 and a system that fit.

Right now, Gana is nigh on indispensable with the way we play.
But apparently he was only ok? Alright mate.

Yours is just different to most others I think. A selection of comments on here from early last season, taken after games over a period of a couple of months.

That’s you by the way.
But apparently he was only ok? Alright mate.

We massively overrate players which is why despite having a top class defensive midfielder, the best creative central mid, and the most effective number 10 in the league (apparently), we finished 8th.

I stand by that comment, Silva has improved his game.

Gueye can be very good, I’m not disputing that, but he can also be average. Over his 3 seasons with us he’s varied between the two being part of some very poor performances and some very good ones. I really don’t see what’s controversial about that. There’s no factual basis to an argument that he’s been outstanding since he joined us. It’s just not true.

Would be loathed to lose him he is a dynamo defensively and pressing and has kept our midfield together at times. He even got better on the ball at the end of the season when that can be a weakness in his game. However if they push to 40m and we can get a replacement of quality then we have to do the deal at his age, we are never getting that money again.

He is when he’s motivated and on form. He’s also been present in midfields when we’ve had the absolute run around from dross teams. He was ever present in the debacle of 17/18. I’m not saying it was all his fault, of course not, I just don’t buy this view that he’s completely irreplaceable and one of the top defensive midfielders. I’ve seen him be very inconsistent for 3 seasons now apart from the last few months since PSG coincidentally expressed interest and we turned his move down.

I just don’t see a domesday scenario if we sell him.
He is hot and cold at times, however he's by a mile our best defensive midfielder.

I will preface this as I always do by saying i know stats are frowned upon but this has more to it than just numbers and explains why Gueye is more or less irreplaceable without changing the style. It's also from earlier in the year and I think we probably got better at pressing as a team later on but the point still holds overall for me.

A compelling case, written just before the wheels fell off sadly.

Would love to see what the writer had to say in mid Feb.

Status
Not open for further replies.