2018/19 Idrissa Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a decent player. No better than that in my eyes. £30m for him is good money.

Is it though in the world of Solanke, Bolasie, Mings, Perez etc fetching £20-30 million?

He's one of our best players and easily one of the best defensive midfielders in what he does - it makes zero sense selling for anything less than crazy money imo.

Its like Leicester selling a 33 year old Jamie Vardy for £20 million - based on his age that sounds good business but if Leicester cant attract a good enough replacement to fit their system/score 15+ goals a season like he does then its actually bad business in the long run.

Can see the points to keep Gana and agree, but he’s not exactly young and if we have ambitions to grow up the league I feel we can find a better blend. There’s plenty of games over the course of the season were his defensive effectiveness is not needed and we need to turn it up a gear offensively.

It was mentioned a few comments ago about a player needing to put in as much ground/tackles - I’d hope we end up seeing the ball stick in the final third more and would hope his limited passing range could be replaced by someone more cunning on the ball so we would not need to be on the back foot as much.

Either way it’ll be a hard decision. Perhaps it’s a decision that was made in January.

Name me a like for like replacement mate who we could attract/afford?

He's very very difficult to replace and people/the club act like we have to sell him. Do what the RS did with Coutinho and milk PSG for every penny if they want him bad enough - he's under contract.

he's nearly 30 but has plenty in the tank imo - would rather another 3 years of a top Gana than replace him with someone half as good.
Bad or good business in the long run doesn't matter if it's the product we have - you can't advertise a trusty reliable old Corolla with the price of a Bugatti and expect it to sell.

It's also flawed as an argument because we bought him for 7m. Did Villa replace him, 2nd best overall defensive midfielder in the league by stats, if that was his price? No.

Agreed we can try to milk him but honestly expecting a near-triple digit sum is borderline mental.

Is it though in the world of Solanke, Bolasie, Mings, Perez etc fetching £20-30 million?

He's one of our best players and easily one of the best defensive midfielders in what he does - it makes zero sense selling for anything less than crazy money imo.

Its like Leicester selling a 33 year old Jamie Vardy for £20 million - based on his age that sounds good business but if Leicester cant attract a good enough replacement to fit their system/score 15+ goals a season like he does then its actually bad business in the long run.

Leicester would sell vardy for that. Gueye is 29 now. £30m is a lot.

You can't use solanke as a reference... He is young and English.

Here we go. Selling our best players again. Nothing changes! Hopefully we can go on a good cup run.

We'd be silly to try and replace him with another out an out ballwinner because we're not going to find anybody better. I'm guessing Silva would change the system a bit if Gueye where to leave.
So I can get on board with that, but I see no other way we can improve without that type of player, unless one of Gomes or Sigurdsson finds their way to the bench or into a different position. If 2 of your 3 central midfielders are those two, good luck.

Sometimes you have to sell seemingly indispensable players cos it’s the best for the player and actually in the medium term best for the club. It’s time for Gana. He won’t get another chance to play for a leading club after this. He’s at his peak... his value will decline substantially a year from now and a heck of a lot less 2 years.

It makes sense for both parties. We have to think further out than one more season. As crazy as it sounds I was hoping they would come back in. He deserves a shot at some medals and we deserve to make some money from the lad before he leaves us.

Status
Not open for further replies.