2022/23 Idrissa Gana Gueye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorry to say but he’s not the IGG of old
He's exactly the same as he was before.

He will add energy. He will always give his all. He will cover a lot of ground, often to the detriment of the team when he presses high and leaves enormous pockets of space because of a lack of discipline. He will make a huge number of tackles and interceptions, most of which are trying to win back possession when he's given it away. His passing will be erratic, great 40 yard pass 1 minute, atrocious 5 yard hospital pass the next. He will regularly give the ball away needlessly under no pressure in dangerous areas leading to fast breaks and goals because his positional sense is suspect. He will give away lots of costly free kicks in dangerous areas. He will offer very little going forward. He will still be hailed as the best DM to play the game.

For the record, i'd still rather have him than not have him, and he's an enormous upgrade on Delph, especially on a cheap deal. But as I've aways said, since 1st time round, his qualities have led to so much over exaggerated praise that it actually detracts from what he brings.

Still nowhere near as overrated as Flash "Kevin Mcleod" Gordon though.

Last edited:
Mark Hughes (Man utd) disagrees with this simplistic sweeping statement.

I'm sure there's other examples.
Mark Hughes only played for us once. Not arsed about other clubs.

We've had the following have two stints, of which all bar none had the better stint first time:

Kendall
Dunc
Rooney
Gana (so far)
Unsworth (close call, but first stint was vital cog in successful Cup campaign).
Gravesen
McFadden
Beagrie
Jeffers
Donovan
Jo
Pienaar (close-ish, but most will agree first stint was a tad better).

Look, I think we’ve all got a bit giddy on the self-admonishment here. We made mistakes in midfield today which led to 2 goals. But it’s two brilliantly executed goals by 1) one of the greatest goalscorers of all time 2) a £70M winger who is one of the hottest talents in World football.

On another day we win 1-0.

We still have a great new midfield.
As I said earlier, everybody seems to have lost their minds.

He played like he always has done for us. I was absolutely amazed PSG came in for him, but no surprised at all he didn’t nail down a starting spot there.

He’s just not tidy enough in possession. Never has been. Passes it far too conservatively and has a sloppy first touch. He’s just exactly how I remember him, great off the ball but very average on it.

When you add in the fact he’s not much use with goal kicks or in either box then I really would like to see us move Onana to the holding mid position and get Garner in the midfield instead of Gueye. Keep Gueye as an option to close games down off the bench but he’s a liability on the ball always has been.

He played like he always has done for us. I was absolutely amazed PSG came in for him, but no surprised at all he didn’t nail down a starting spot there.

He’s just not tidy enough in possession. Never has been. Passes it far too conservatively and has a sloppy first touch. He’s just exactly how I remember him, great off the ball but very average on it.

When you add in the fact he’s not much use with goal kicks or in either box then I really would like to see us move Onana to the holding mid position and get Garner in the midfield instead of Gueye. Keep Gueye as an option to close games down off the bench but he’s a liability on the ball always has been.
I think garner is more likely to slot into that cdm role, would be good to see Onana there too though

We've had the following have two stints, of which all bar none had the better stint first time:

Kendall
Dunc
Rooney
Gana (so far)
Unsworth (close call, but first stint was vital cog in successful Cup campaign).
Gravesen
McFadden
Beagrie
Jeffers
Donovan
Jo

Add David Johnson, Steve McMahon, Tommy Gravesen and even Andy King to that list.

Kendall
Dunc
Rooney
Gana (so far)
Gravesen
McFadden
Beagrie
Jeffers
Donovan
Jo

I mean, one problem here is an obvious one - they're coming back older. So many star players come back to their hometown or first clubs, at the end of their careers, how is it anything but marketing or nostalgia, i dont know. in this case, though, i think we really didn't have anyone, and someone who doesn't have to settle in to the PL and Everton was a big advantage. We're still looking at people like McNeil, Townsend, Holgate, Davies etc in our squad. These guys at their best are PL squad players, and so as we upgrade, we'll reduce the need on these kind of signings I hope, and the long-term solution has to be developed while he gives us 1-2 seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.