Hummel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont know the ins and outs of the deal, and if its tiered (and 20% is the starting point). James Pearce is prone to exaggeration.

However its not true they are 85m in a deal. It was much lower than that, and certainly for the next couple of years will be a lot less tha their existing deal. On last year's sales they'd be about where they were at with New Balance. They were gambling on a massive upturn, which wont happen.

They will make more money with Nike than New Balance.

Upfront its only 30 million compared to the 45 million via New Balance.

But its the global reach and amount of shops Nike have compared to New Balance.

Without dragging them into it I will , there deal with Nike not only is in kit sales ( 1.2 million last year ) its also all merchandising inc training , leisure wear etc and from reading it if i recall correctly it was the fact Nike have twice as many outlets than New Balance plus a high majority Nike’s own stored gives you a bigger shop window . I agree they will be pushed to make the numbers suggested by James Pierce but would imagine it will be a lot better than they were achieving considering there profile as PL winners .

You do need to break into the CL now to achieve a major jump yet Leicester who won the PL and will probably qualify for there second stint in the CL dont appear to have gotten anywhere near the top six in regards yearly deal from Adidas

I read it at just over a million at about 60quid (some will be sold lower than that). If you throw the wider merchandise, then test maybe 1.5m units (the shirts will be the major seller) and you are getting to 18m for them, which is 48m as a deal.

They are gambling with Nikes exposure they grow substantially. To get to the 85m figure though they'd probably need to increase sales by about 300%.

As things stand at present, last month retail sales went down 80% last month in America. Sales are going to be massively down. They will be doing very very well to maintain the sales they had. Even at that level they are about even where they were with New balance.

Essentially they gambled, and lost. I wouldn't even rule out Nike trying to downgrade the deal.

hummel5.jpg

Not a fan personally...

Hope ours looks a lot better!

we’re a stratospheric client compared to a lower league Scottish team. The A team should be on our design.

The problem is we go with Nike or adidas we just get one of their off the shelf designs.
Does it matter though? I mean there’s only so much you can do with a kit really isn’t there? Personally Hummel might suit my tastes because they seem to keep things pretty simple in the main which is how I like my Everton kits.

But looking at their website its not like all their teams have their own bespoke kits. That Ayr one someone has just posted is this years Oldham kit in white. Middlesbrough and charlton basically have the same kit only boro’s has a white band in the middle while charlton’s white is under the arm instead.

I think we should just be happy we’re getting More money and stop pretending there are loads of other upsides, because there aren’t really.

It s madness how people are complaining how we ve doubled our shirt deal since last year ;-) We are going to be Hummels "Star" brand so will get interest from that ;-)
Its easy to complain Utd, Redshite, City etc have bigger deals but they ve actually won stuff during Premier League period and are the Sky favourites ;-( They also have great marketing and haved used their players to promotes sales unlike us with the crap Kitbag deals and never using players to promote us in foreign countries ;-( If in the past we utilised Li Tie for China, Cahill for Australia, Pienaar for South Africa and Howard, Donovan for USA, then we would be a bigger "brand" for companies but we ve been hopeless during the Premier League period to promote us and 99% of football fans now presumed football started with Premier League ;-(

We ve got a good deal with Hummel compared to Umbro so lets see it as the 1st building block in place, now let Carlo do his magic with team, hopefully our Marketing/PR crew can utilise Richarlison etc for Brazil and international market and the other players we have ;-) and look ahead on what Everton is doing not the other crap teams that moved ahead of us 20 years ago by being modern and targetting being international !

Does it matter though? I mean there’s only so much you can do with a kit really isn’t there? Personally Hummel might suit my tastes because they seem to keep things pretty simple in the main which is how I like my Everton kits.

But looking at their website its not like all their teams have their own bespoke kits. That Ayr one someone has just posted is this years Oldham kit in white. Middlesbrough and charlton basically have the same kit only boro’s has a white band in the middle while charlton’s white is under the arm instead.

I think we should just be happy we’re getting More money and stop pretending there are loads of other upsides, because there aren’t really.

I think it depends what the club wants.

Take a club like Forward Madison, a lower league American team who have bespoke hummel kits which have won awards (I'm not a huge fan of them personally but each to their own) so obviously the work goes in if required.

Forward-Madison-Kits.jpg

Are you a footy shirt hoarder?

Yeah kind of. Basically I tend to get a shirt from any place I visit (not in England obviously, I don't want an Arsenal shirt for example) as long as it's cheap enough.

I never pay full whack for one, that would be madness, probably go up to 20 quid max.

I have to like the shirt generally, I don't just get random ones. Never really wear them unless going the gym etc bar one or two that I think look nice. (most don't fit any more either..)

Funnily enough I don't have loads of Everton shirts, probably about 5 or 6 and they were just from my teen years mainly.

I thought about writing a book about football kits a few years ago but some gits beat me to it.

Yeah kind of. Basically I tend to get a shirt from any place I visit (not in England obviously, I don't want an Arsenal shirt for example) as long as it's cheap enough.

I never pay full whack for one, that would be madness, probably go up to 20 quid max.

I have to like the shirt generally, I don't just get random ones. Never really wear them unless going the gym etc bar one or two that I think look nice. (most don't fit any more either..)

Funnily enough I don't have loads of Everton shirts, probably about 5 or 6 and they were just from my teen years mainly.

I thought about writing a book about football kits a few years ago but some gits beat me to it.
REally -
i was obsessed with them when I was growing up, partly due to subutteo and partly Fandom. I once wrote to all 92 FL clubs asking for an old used shirt. Got none.
Who wrote the book you mentioned?

Yeah I had a lot of subutteo stuff too! I do graphic design and stuff so I have always been into colours and patterns etc. One of my biggest bug bears of the modern game is teams playing in away kits all the time, especially in the likes of the World Cup.

That's a bit grim that you got none from any of the clubs! Must have cost you a fortune in stamps.

There are a few books out there now. There is one called International Football Kits (True Colours) by John Devlin that I quite like, it's more of a coffee table book than a good read though. The Football Shirts Book by Neil Heard is alright too. Or 1000 Football shirts by Bernard Lions (with a foreword by our Carlo).

All should be easy enough to find on Amazon.

The Colorado Caribou NASL shirt is my holy grail right now.

Caribous.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.