How to prevent Europe from ruining your season

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a great season in 07/08, finishing 5th in the league and it was the season that we got knocked out by Fiorentina

We took the EL seriously and we had a really good league season

We also had a bit of squad depth (by the standards of the Moyes era), being able to call on Yakubu, AJ, Vaughan and Anichebe up front

http://toffeeweb.com/season/07-08/squad.php

It isn't rocket science - take it seriously and have a squad which can cope with the extra number of games and there is no difference between playing Wednesday and Saturday in the Champions League and playing Thursday and Sunday in The Europa League

Plus, if you went to Wolfsburg or Nuremberg then you've probably been spending most of your life since then hoping for a repeat

Think I heard a while back it was down to losing rest and family time for some players. Depending on where you played you may not get a day off all week. Train Monday and Tuesday, travel Wednesday, play Thursday, travel Friday (in some cases), train Saturday and then play Sunday. Best case scenario you get 2 days off if at home, worst case you may get 1 day off in 2 weeks. EL teams do the full training Saturday and I can't remember the player but he said it meant no family time all weekend which did affect him. Maybe the Wed/Sat CL teams aren't affected the same way as they know they have Sunday off.

If we're playing in Europe next season it'll harm our chances of finishing in the European places next season...

I don't get all that. To progress as a club we need to be playing in Europe every year. We just need a big enough squad to cope with the additional fixtures. We've got the money to do that now.

Because, as far as I see it, good league position is more likely to bring revenue in the modern game and another shot at Europe. The league has more capacity to bring joy or doom on a regular basis. If it's regular, I want to sign up for the joy.

Europe shows a less likely chance of ultimate victory. The victory is sweeter yes, but less likely. I'm thinking of us growing and developing as a force. Qualifying top 4 for the runners up league next year would do us more good, for instance, than being semi finalists in uefa.

Obviously, I'd want us to win both, plus the league and fa cup double, but i'm just considering odds/statistics - not that I'm a betting man.
But if you're not going to take Europe seriously, what's the point in trying to qualify for it next year?

I want us to try and win every competition we're entered into.

[Poor language removed] right I'd take it serious, united are in the semis playing absolutely no one we should beat, and even celta we should beat

But if you're not going to take Europe seriously, what's the point in trying to qualify for it next year?

I want us to try and win every competition we're entered into.
I mean, we take it seriously, but prioritise the league next season. Once we're stronger and in Europe again, then we go for both.

Obviously, every sport and every game should be played to win, otherwise stay at home. I just wouldn't want a long season, with qualifiers, to lead to burn out at the end of next season which would see us drop away on all fronts.

In all honesty I'd take the league title or fa cup over any European trophy. In an ideal world I'd take the lot, obviously.

I would say try and qualify from the group as soon as possible and play the kids in the games that are left to give the first tram a break, possibly have to play the kids in the opening round of the league cup as well (with one or two squad players)

I remember in 2009 Moyes did this in the group stage, we played youth / reserves,

we won the opener at home 4-0 against AEK ATHENS, with almost a first team
then won the 2nd game 1-2 away at Bate with a first team line up, all kids on the bench
then we got smashed 5-0 away in Benfica, first team line up with Saha on the bench with the kids
then we got beat 0-2 at home to benfica, mostly first team line up with Coleman and Saha on the bench with the kids
then we beat AIK athens away 0-1, mostly first team squad, used all 3 subs
then we lost 0-1 to Bate Borisov at home in the last game, started 6 kids plus the reserve goalie, because qualification was assured

I would say try and qualify from the group as soon as possible and play the kids in the games that are left to give the first tram a break, possibly have to play the kids in the opening round of the league cup as well (with one or two squad players)

I remember in 2009 Moyes did this in the group stage, we played youth / reserves,

we won the opener at home 4-0 against AEK ATHENS, with almost a first team
then won the 2nd game 1-2 away at Bate with a first team line up, all kids on the bench
then we got smashed 5-0 away in Benfica, first team line up with Saha on the bench with the kids
then we got beat 0-2 at home to benfica, mostly first team line up with Coleman and Saha on the bench with the kids
then we beat AIK athens away 0-1, mostly first team squad, used all 3 subs
then we lost 0-1 to Bate Borisov at home in the last game, started 6 kids plus the reserve goalie, because qualification was assured

That Benfica side which smashed us had some tremendous players in it

David Luiz, Ramires, Angel Di Maria, Oscar Cardozo, Javier Saviola, Pablo Aimar

Just play the reserves. Have to focus on going from strength to strength in the league; Europa means next to nothing in comparison.

Or, if we for some reason have to take Europe seriously, at least do not play any senior player whatsoever in the domestic cups to alleviate the workload.

We just need greater strength in depth. If you can rotate players out from time to time, that's one thing. But if the player who comes in to take their spot is actually competition for that place normally, then that's another thing entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.