How Fickle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alternatively viewed, we played a weakened side against fellow PL opposition; the opposition was piss poor and had nothing at all to offer as a threat; we decided to give them more ball; the manager decided that despite this he'd make no changes to arrest the decline; we end up with a rB playing right wing with our right winger sat on the bench!

So let's not make out that the manager was doing something daring, bold and innovative. Like his predecessor he tinkered. Like his predecessor he was like a rabbit in headlights when we lost control of the game.

This is just your opinion but you are stating them as a ranty fact.

Maybe our midfield had a bad night and didnt keep possession as well as they normally would. What do you even mean by deciding to give them more of the ball? Was this communicated at the start of the game, or do you think Bobby let a roar out at Gibbo to start faffing about and pass the ball to the Fulham lads?

Maybe Martinez, as manager of the club, decided his changes were worth trying and could get us back in it. To me we had enough possession late on, along with some chances, to have drawn level.

The answer is neither you nor I know. I could understand maybe you feeling certain of something after watching a load of games under us with Martinez but you are just whinging with no basis here and in the match thread.

Personally, I'd rather have won the games either side of this one. West Ham away and Newcastle at home. If we beat Newcastle on Monday I won't mind about this one too much. Mickey Mouse trophy isn't it ;)

Woah is me, the bubble has burst!!!!!

Defeat has dented our brilliant start to the season, Martinez out and let's re-build introducing a youth programme that only plays players under 30.

Apparently Moyes has already commented that he left because of results like this.

Or we wake up in the morning and realise that RM had the balls to try something in the Mickey Mouse cup, it didn't work and we still have the real cup (FA) and the premiership.

Onwards and upwards my cup is half full (still) when it comes to Everton......

Obviously you are taking the Pi$$ ?

Lets face it, RM got it wrong last night. Disrespected the comp and the opposition IMO.

Fulham were (as far as I could tell) full strength?

So not only does he make the amount of changes...but he changes the formation to something new? And tbh, we were that all over the show at times I couldnt even tell you the formation. Fulham, for 60 minutes in the middle of the match ran us ragged and it was a disgrace to watch.

Were not in europe, weve got no midweek games, so this was a pi55 poor decision for me. Spurs/Swansea yes, rest players, their in a joke of a european comp, we just didnt need to do it to the level we did and I hope he learns from this mistake.

We should have changed 3-4 players tops and kept the same formation that has served us so well in the prem. Got the game won or almost won, then rested first team players and brought on the others for the last 20 or so.

We had 3/4 passengers last night and looked lost. Pi55ed off this morning with RM. For a manager who has been telling us all summer how he gets the club and the fans (and i beleive he does btw) he should have known what it would mean to get to wembley and lift silverware. You simply cannot disresepct prem sides away from home in any competition. Complete and utter [Poor language removed] up for me and now we have to wait almost a week to correct it? We should have kept the run and momemtum going.

Lets face it, RM got it wrong last night. Disrespected the comp and the opposition IMO.

So not only does he make the amount of changes...but he changes the formation to something new? And tbh, we were that all over the show at times I couldnt even tell you the formation. Fulham, for 60 minutes in the middle of the match ran us ragged and it was a disgrace to watch.

Were not in europe, weve got no midweek games, so this was a pi55 poor decision for me. Spurs/Swansea yes, rest players, their in a joke of a european comp, we just didnt need to do it to the level we did and I hope he learns from this mistake.

We should have changed 3-4 players tops and kept the same formation that has served us so well in the prem. Got the game won or almost won, then rested first team players and brought on the others for the last 20 or so.

We had 3/4 passengers last night and looked lost. Pi55ed off this morning with RM. For a manager who has been telling us all summer how he gets the club and the fans (and i beleive he does btw) he should have known what it would mean to get to wembley and lift silverware. You simply cannot disresepct prem sides away from home in any competition. Complete and utter [Poor language removed] up for me and now we have to wait almost a week to correct it? We should have kept the run and momemtum going.

Totally disagree, The league games so far he has pretty much stuck to the same starting 11 bar Pienaar being injured. It was the right time to see what some of the fringe players can do if needed and give them some game time.

Totally disagree, The league games so far he has pretty much stuck to the same starting 11 bar Pienaar being injured. It was the right time to see what some of the fringe players can do if needed and give them some game time.

Some yes. Virtually every single last one of them? Not for me and the result was deserved.

For me, the manager would have a couple of players he was keen to give a chance to impress to. But not that many.

How can you totally disagree btw?

He made wholesale changes to a winning team - FACT
played a new formation and we went out - FACT
We dont have midweek fixtures - FACT

Struggling to see how any evertonian, who hasnt witnessed any success in almost 20 years...can completely agree with what happened last night

Some yes. Virtually every single last one of them? Not for me and the result was deserved.

For me, the manager would have a couple of players he was keen to give a chance to impress to. But not that many.

How can you totally disagree btw?

He made wholesale changes to a winning team - FACT
played a new formation and we went out - FACT
We dont have midweek fixtures - FACT

Struggling to see how any evertonian, who hasnt witnessed any success in almost 20 years...can completely agree with what happened last night

I dont completely agree but what I do agree with is a new manager so far has only seen maybe 12-13 different players in a competitive game. Reserve football is worthless so this was the best chance to see some of these players.

Bringing in Lukaku for Jelly was a no brainer
Ossie was injued so McCarthy was justifed
Gibson hasnt played all season so again totally justifed
We've played the same back four in all our games so I dont have any issues in him looking at Oviedo and Stones, both of which we paid good money for so its not like we were just bringing in reserves who are only ever going to be bench warmers
Robles for Howard, again I dont think there is that much to chose from them and Robles was part of his FA cup winning team last year so I dont think there was much in that. Again defenders need to be used to playing with him if he is needed.
Lastly Delouflue, you could argue this was the biggest risk as he is inexperienced and untried, however I'd imagine he would have been in most peoples starting X1 for the game

d-bo.jpg

Absolutely spot on. Forget that this is a football club we're talking about. The approach RM adopted was an unnecessarily high risk one for the manager of any entity to take. He could have achieved the dual objectives of progressing in the competition (and so the club gaining more much needed revenue) and giving some players a run out, by introducing fewer fringe players and playing the ususal formation. The high risk approach was totally uncalled for and failed.

That said, his bigger failing on the night was not to stiffen up the midfield as soon as Fulham took control of the game early in the second half.

Very frustrating game. And very angry at the loss of a shot at silverware (again). But putting it in context, if we get a win against Newcastle this Monday coming it equals the best start to any season since we last won the league.

Worth mulling over as we put a lid on the post Fulham match rants.

My biggest problem is with the people that discount the competition that it's a Mickey mouse cup, useless, ****e etc. Everton are in three competitions this year. The two cups and the league. It's almost a cert the league won't be won. That leaves the cups. If the whole ****ing point of finishing higher in the league is to get into Europe, why the hell would you completely discount probably the easiest route of getting into it?

Just does my head in..

I don't think the result reflects poorly on Martinez's ability to win games as a manager...

I am a bit disappointed that we made so many changes to the team though. Even looking at it scientifically, when you experiment you don't change that many parts, otherwise you don't know which changes are responsible for the result. For instance, Oviedo didn't have a great game, but who's to say he wouldn't have played just fine if Barry had been in for Gibson. Making that many changes gives you very little information about each individual player.

I am also a bit annoyed that we could have won the game if we had committed more to it, considering we have until Monday to play. Again though, if we had been a bit sharper in front of goal it would have all gone down differently, hindsight is 20/20

Status
Not open for further replies.